Recommended and Reliable External Hard Drives/Backup Solut..

Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive at around 120gb-160gb for less
than £150. I've looked on the internet at the Maxtor OneTouch and the
western digital, but I've been put off by an enourmous number of
reviews saying they fail often, mainly due to overheating. Can anybody
recommend a decent solution?

Cheers,
Stu.
7 answers Last reply
More about recommended reliable external hard drives backup solut

    In article <c7e0f71c.0410280313.5436bfa9
    @posting.google.com>, stuart_clark@Excite.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an external hard drive at around 120gb-160gb for less
    > than £150. I've looked on the internet at the Maxtor OneTouch and the
    > western digital, but I've been put off by an enourmous number of
    > reviews saying they fail often, mainly due to overheating. Can anybody
    > recommend a decent solution?

    If you're concerned about overheating, your best bet is
    5400rpm drives only. Just get an external USB/firewire
    case and toss a 5400rpm drive in. (160GB 5400rpm drives
    are around US$100, 250GB 5400rpm drives are around US
    $150, enclosures are $20-$40) My preferred enclosure is
    the Macally CA405U2 (try www.TheNerds.net).

    If you want speed, you may want to consider the
    removable drive bays by StarTech (DRW115 series). A bit
    more expensive (about $50 per drive), but all-metal
    construction and hook directly to your IDE cables inside
    the case.

    £150 is way too much for only 120-160GB, DIY and you can
    maybe get two units for that cost.

    Stuart Clark wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an external hard drive at around 120gb-160gb for less
    > than £150. I've looked on the internet at the Maxtor OneTouch and the
    > western digital, but I've been put off by an enourmous number of
    > reviews saying they fail often, mainly due to overheating. Can anybody
    > recommend a decent solution?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stu.

    Get a generic (quality) external box and a Seagate drive.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Previously Stuart Clark <stuart_clark@excite.com> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I'm looking for an external hard drive at around 120gb-160gb for less
    > than £150. I've looked on the internet at the Maxtor OneTouch and the
    > western digital, but I've been put off by an enourmous number of
    > reviews saying they fail often, mainly due to overheating. Can anybody
    > recommend a decent solution?

    Overheating is indeed the key problem. Don't go for anything
    without a fan or with a small fan. For lower capacity 2.5" drives
    are also a good solution, because they consume far less energy,
    but they do not fit your capacity- and price-window.

    If you by HDD and enclosure separately, you can at least
    keep the HDD and try with a different enclosure if the one
    you try first gets hot. Rule-of-thumb: Should be still
    comfortable to touch after an hour of operation or so.

    Arno

    stuart_clark@Excite.com (Stuart Clark) wrote in message news:<c7e0f71c.0410280313.5436bfa9@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for an external hard drive at around 120gb-160gb for less
    > than £150. I've looked on the internet at the Maxtor OneTouch and the
    > western digital, but I've been put off by an enourmous number of
    > reviews saying they fail often, mainly due to overheating. Can anybody
    > recommend a decent solution?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stu.

    Please consider a 5400rpm and an external enclosure, if overheating is
    your concern. But I guess not, because all 3.5 can 5.25 external
    enclosures come with fans at the rear for air circulation. Some have
    tried installing a SATA hard drive and 7200rpm into external
    enclosures, and have no problem at all.

    more about external enclosure here:

    http://www.removable-storage-guide.com

    Helps?

    "Victor Ng" <khuenping@gmail.com> wrote in message news:de46e884.0411010904.4e28c0b9@posting.google.com
    > stuart_clark@Excite.com (Stuart Clark) wrote in message news:<c7e0f71c.0410280313.5436bfa9@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for an external hard drive at around 120gb-160gb for less
    > > than £150. I've looked on the internet at the Maxtor OneTouch and the
    > > western digital, but I've been put off by an enourmous number of
    > > reviews saying they fail often, mainly due to overheating. Can anybody
    > > recommend a decent solution?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Stu.
    >
    > Please consider a 5400rpm and an external enclosure, if overheating is
    > your concern.

    Buy a drive that runs cool if overheating is your concern.

    > But I guess not, because all 3.5 can 5.25 external
    > enclosures come with fans at the rear for air circulation.

    A fan at the rear does not cause air circulation if there is no air intake.
    Lots of cases don't have an air intake or have it in the wrong place.
    Often the fan cools the internal Power Supply.

    > Some have tried installing a SATA hard drive and 7200rpm into
    > external enclosures, and have no problem at all.

    Maybe they chose a cool running harddrive.
    Single platter harddrives don't need to run hot.
    There's even 10krpm drives that run (relatively) cool.

    > more about external enclosure here:
    >
    > http://www.removable-storage-guide.com
    >
    > Helps?

    very cool...which IDE drive do you recommend (i've had rotten luck with
    western digital and maxtor)?

    thanks in advance!

    <dwright@dwtele.com> wrote in message news:1102342304.085329.114810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
    > very cool...which IDE drive do you recommend

    > (i've had rotten luck with western digital and maxtor)?

    Rotten luck is personal and not mfgr related.

    > thanks in advance!

Backup External Hard Drive Storage Product