IE 6 and MSN Video - doesn't play

When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
just nothing happens.

The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
page.

I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.

IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
disabled.

Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about video doesn play

    Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:

    Line: 196
    Char: 178
    Error: Expected '}'
    Code: 0

    Line: 1
    Char: 800
    Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
    Code: 0

    Error: 1
    Line: 1
    Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
    Code: 0

    At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:

    Line: 5
    Char: 34
    Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
    Code: 0

    When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:

    Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Object expected
    Code: 0

    What does this suggest?

    "Bill Mathews" wrote:

    > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
    > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
    > just nothing happens.
    >
    > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
    > page.
    >
    > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    >
    > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
    > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > disabled.
    >
    > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

    Has anyone come up with a solution?

    Thanks

    Jeff

    "Doug Gill" wrote:

    > Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:
    >
    > Line: 196
    > Char: 178
    > Error: Expected '}'
    > Code: 0
    >
    > Line: 1
    > Char: 800
    > Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
    > Code: 0
    >
    > Error: 1
    > Line: 1
    > Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
    > Code: 0
    >
    > At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:
    >
    > Line: 5
    > Char: 34
    > Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
    > Code: 0
    >
    > When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:
    >
    > Line: 1
    > Char: 1
    > Error: Object expected
    > Code: 0
    >
    > What does this suggest?
    >
    > "Bill Mathews" wrote:
    >
    > > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
    > > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
    > > just nothing happens.
    > >
    > > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
    > > page.
    > >
    > > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    > >
    > > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
    > > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > > disabled.
    > >
    > > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    I find it passing strange that Microsoft hasn't come up with a solution for
    this problem, given the number of posts regarding it.

    I spend less time on MSN and more on Yahoo (where the videos play just fine)
    because of this. You'd think MS would like to keep us on MSN ... .

    "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Doug Gill" wrote:
    >
    > > Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my
    other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff
    which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE
    and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:

    > > Line: 196
    > > Char: 178
    > > Error: Expected '}'
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > Line: 1
    > > Char: 800
    > > Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > Error: 1
    > > Line: 1
    > > Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:
    > >
    > > Line: 5
    > > Char: 34
    > > Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist
    or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:

    > > Line: 1
    > > Char: 1
    > > Error: Object expected
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > What does this suggest?
    > >
    > > "Bill Mathews" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > > > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story
    and
    > > > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error
    message,
    > > > just nothing happens.
    > > >
    > > > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My
    MSN'
    > > > page.
    > > >
    > > > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    > > >
    > > > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win
    installed.
    > > > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > > > disabled.
    > > >
    > > > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    Hi,

    I have the exact same problem as well. One thing I discovered however, is that I can play MSN videos at an alternative URL for MSN videos of

    http://video.msn.com/p/player.htm

    Everything works fine with this web page and all videos play fine. However, trying to access the same content at the main MSN Video URL below does not work. Not even the "Help" link works.

    http://msnvideo.msn.com/video/default.aspx

    Could this be a Javascript problem?

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > Hi... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Doug Gill" wrote:
    >
    > > Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:
    > >
    > > Line: 196
    > > Char: 178
    > > Error: Expected '}'
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > Line: 1
    > > Char: 800
    > > Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > Error: 1
    > > Line: 1
    > > Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:
    > >
    > > Line: 5
    > > Char: 34
    > > Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:
    > >
    > > Line: 1
    > > Char: 1
    > > Error: Object expected
    > > Code: 0
    > >
    > > What does this suggest?
    > >
    > > "Bill Mathews" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > > > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
    > > > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
    > > > just nothing happens.
    > > >
    > > > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
    > > > page.
    > > >
    > > > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    > > >
    > > > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
    > > > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > > > disabled.
    > > >
    > > > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    Bill: If you are using Norton Internet Security and Windows XP then check out
    my comments, this section, "MSN video" (13 Posts), zim. I hope this will
    help you solve your problem.

    "Bill Mathews" wrote:

    > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
    > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
    > just nothing happens.
    >
    > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
    > page.
    >
    > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    >
    > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
    > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > disabled.
    >
    > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Zim - thanks for all you good work on this, but, for my setup, it didn't
    solve the problem.

    I did all the steps, and still no MSN video, even after a system restart.

    So until MS and/or Symantec figures this out and issues a fix, I'll do
    videos from other places. MSN is obviously a lost cause.

    "Zim" <Zim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Bill: If you are using Norton Internet Security and Windows XP then check
    out
    > my comments, this section, "MSN video" (13 Posts), zim. I hope this will
    > help you solve your problem.
    >

    > "Bill Mathews" wrote:
    >
    > > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
    > > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error
    message,
    > > just nothing happens.
    > >
    > > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My
    MSN'
    > > page.
    > >
    > > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    > >
    > > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
    > > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > > disabled.
    > >
    > > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Hello there,

    Hope you don't mind me barging in here. Until I moved to a hardware firewall I
    used Symantecs Firewall and had no problems with it. May I suggest you check
    out the port numbers that it is blocking routinely. You will find evidence of
    what is being blocked in the log file, in order to get a fuller picture you
    might find that you need to make the size of the log larger than the default.
    By watching the log as you perform the necessary actions to view the video you
    should see exactly why the video is being blocked.

    Anyway, on the issue of Microsoft or Symantec figuring it out, there is no
    fault in the software, its just a setting that needs correcting.
    --
    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.org

    i'm having the same problem, but in msn explorer. when i click on a video
    from the msn page it doesnt play, there are novids in the playlist, just two
    or three top stories (which will play if i click them). It just says

    "Bill Mathews" wrote:

    > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
    > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
    > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
    > just nothing happens.
    >
    > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
    > page.
    >
    > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
    >
    > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
    > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
    > disabled.
    >
    > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
    >
    > Thanks.

Video MSN Internet Explorer Windows XP