IE 6 and MSN Video - doesn't play

June 23, 2004 8:46:38 PM

When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
just nothing happens.

The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
page.

I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.

IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
disabled.

Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?

Thanks.

More about : msn video play

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:41:59 PM

Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:

Line: 196
Char: 178
Error: Expected '}'
Code: 0

Line: 1
Char: 800
Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
Code: 0

Error: 1
Line: 1
Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
Code: 0

At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:

Line: 5
Char: 34
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0

When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:

Line: 1
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
Code: 0

What does this suggest?

"Bill Mathews" wrote:

> When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
> displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
> then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
> just nothing happens.
>
> The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
> page.
>
> I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
>
> IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
> Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
> disabled.
>
> Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
>
> Thanks.

July 26, 2004 11:20:10 PM

Hi... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

Thanks

Jeff

"Doug Gill" wrote:

> Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:
>
> Line: 196
> Char: 178
> Error: Expected '}'
> Code: 0
>
> Line: 1
> Char: 800
> Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
> Code: 0
>
> Error: 1
> Line: 1
> Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
> Code: 0
>
> At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:
>
> Line: 5
> Char: 34
> Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
> Code: 0
>
> When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:
>
> Line: 1
> Char: 1
> Error: Object expected
> Code: 0
>
> What does this suggest?
>
> "Bill Mathews" wrote:
>
> > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
> > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
> > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
> > just nothing happens.
> >
> > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
> > page.
> >
> > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
> >
> > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
> > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
> > disabled.
> >
> > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
> >
> > Thanks.

July 27, 2004 3:24:39 AM

I find it passing strange that Microsoft hasn't come up with a solution for
this problem, given the number of posts regarding it.

I spend less time on MSN and more on Yahoo (where the videos play just fine)
because of this. You'd think MS would like to keep us on MSN ... .

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
>
> Has anyone come up with a solution?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>
> "Doug Gill" wrote:
>
> > Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my
other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff
which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE
and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:

> > Line: 196
> > Char: 178
> > Error: Expected '}'
> > Code: 0
> >
> > Line: 1
> > Char: 800
> > Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
> > Code: 0
> >
> > Error: 1
> > Line: 1
> > Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
> > Code: 0
> >
> > At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:
> >
> > Line: 5
> > Char: 34
> > Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
> > Code: 0
> >
> > When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist
or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:

> > Line: 1
> > Char: 1
> > Error: Object expected
> > Code: 0
> >
> > What does this suggest?
> >
> > "Bill Mathews" wrote:
> >
> > > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
> > > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story
and
> > > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error
message,
> > > just nothing happens.
> > >
> > > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My
MSN'
> > > page.
> > >
> > > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
> > >
> > > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win
installed.
> > > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
> > > disabled.
> > >
> > > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:31:18 AM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as well. One thing I discovered however, is that I can play MSN videos at an alternative URL for MSN videos of

http://video.msn.com/p/player.htm

Everything works fine with this web page and all videos play fine. However, trying to access the same content at the main MSN Video URL below does not work. Not even the "Help" link works.

http://msnvideo.msn.com/video/default.aspx

Could this be a Javascript problem?

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
>
> Has anyone come up with a solution?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>
> "Doug Gill" wrote:
>
> > Have exact same problem except with NIS 2004. MSN video plays fine on my other (work) computer. MSN Video support ran me through a bunch of stuff which didn't help. Somehow, I turned on a show errors on page option in IE and get the following when msnvideo.msn.com/video comes up:
> >
> > Line: 196
> > Char: 178
> > Error: Expected '}'
> > Code: 0
> >
> > Line: 1
> > Char: 800
> > Error: 'Playlist' is undefined
> > Code: 0
> >
> > Error: 1
> > Line: 1
> > Error: 'oPlaylist' is undefined
> > Code: 0
> >
> > At this point the page is up. If I click on any video clip, I get:
> >
> > Line: 5
> > Char: 34
> > Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
> > Code: 0
> >
> > When I mouse over the forward and back buttons around the empty playlist or any of the other playback control buttons, I get this twice:
> >
> > Line: 1
> > Char: 1
> > Error: Object expected
> > Code: 0
> >
> > What does this suggest?
> >
> > "Bill Mathews" wrote:
> >
> > > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
> > > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
> > > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
> > > just nothing happens.
> > >
> > > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
> > > page.
> > >
> > > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
> > >
> > > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
> > > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
> > > disabled.
> > >
> > > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

August 9, 2004 11:37:09 AM

Bill: If you are using Norton Internet Security and Windows XP then check out
my comments, this section, "MSN video" (13 Posts), zim. I hope this will
help you solve your problem.

"Bill Mathews" wrote:

> When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
> displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
> then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error message,
> just nothing happens.
>
> The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My MSN'
> page.
>
> I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
>
> IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
> Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
> disabled.
>
> Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 4:30:30 PM

Zim - thanks for all you good work on this, but, for my setup, it didn't
solve the problem.

I did all the steps, and still no MSN video, even after a system restart.

So until MS and/or Symantec figures this out and issues a fix, I'll do
videos from other places. MSN is obviously a lost cause.

"Zim" <Zim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bill: If you are using Norton Internet Security and Windows XP then check
out
> my comments, this section, "MSN video" (13 Posts), zim. I hope this will
> help you solve your problem.
>

> "Bill Mathews" wrote:
>
> > When I click on a video on MSN, the video window opens but nothing is
> > displayed. Clicking on one of the thumbnails for another video story and
> > then clicking on 'Play' or 'Add' also produces no result - no error
message,
> > just nothing happens.
> >
> > The same thing happens whether I try from the main MSN page or the 'My
MSN'
> > page.
> >
> > I've installed Microsoft .NET 1.1, with the same result.
> >
> > IE 6 SP1, WinXP SP1, with all critical updates for IE and Win installed.
> > Norton Internet Security 2003, but the problem occurs even if NIS is
> > disabled.
> >
> > Do you have to have the MSN-specific version of IE to view MSN video?
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:54:01 PM

Hello there,

Hope you don't mind me barging in here. Until I moved to a hardware firewall I
used Symantecs Firewall and had no problems with it. May I suggest you check
out the port numbers that it is blocking routinely. You will find evidence of
what is being blocked in the log file, in order to get a fuller picture you
might find that you need to make the size of the log larger than the default.
By watching the log as you perform the necessary actions to view the video you
should see exactly why the video is being blocked.

Anyway, on the issue of Microsoft or Symantec figuring it out, there is no
fault in the software, its just a setting that needs correcting.
--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

i'm having the same problem, but in msn explorer. when i click on a video
from the msn page it doesnt play, there are novids in the playlist, just two
or three top stories (which will play if i click them). It just says

!