SMART for RAID0

Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?

--

To reply, nix "nix" in address.
8 answers Last reply

    "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message news:9Mjgd.82514$cJ3.59389@fed1read06
    > Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?

    Sure, any that you can find.
    It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.

    Previously Bob Davis <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:
    > Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?

    Care to tell us what type (which controller or which software) of RAID0?

    Arno

    Your raid adapter has to support it. If so, either download the software
    that manages the adapter (from the manuf. web site) or when you boot the
    machine press the setup keys to get into the adapters setup, there may be an
    option there to read smart errors. If it is a motherboard connected
    straight to the drives, the same applies-either software from the manuf. web
    page or boot to a setup mode and look for a way to read the errors.

    I know early on, most raid cards didn't support smart for some reason. More
    modern cards seem to have support for it.

    --Dan

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

    > "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

    >> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?
    >
    > Sure, any that you can find.
    > It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.

    I guess it's the ICH5R controller then, as no SMART software sees the RAID0
    array. It did see a single drive when it was attached to the same
    controller, however.

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:19:00 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    >
    >> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?
    >>
    >> Sure, any that you can find.
    >> It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.
    >
    >I guess it's the ICH5R controller then, as no SMART software sees the RAID0
    >array. It did see a single drive when it was attached to the same
    >controller, however.

    Without knowing much about your setup you could try Intel's "ICH5R
    Serial ATA RAID Monitoring Utility" or future versions of the "Intel
    Application Accelerator RAID Edition" or check with the manufacturer
    (if other). Management functionality tends to be minimal or
    non-existent on the low-end. I don't know what kind of luck you should
    be expecting. If you are not intending to boot off the array you can
    do the striping in the OS and should be able to use ordinary smart
    tools.

    "Curious George" <CG@email.net> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:19:00 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> Sure, any that you can find.
    >>> It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.
    >>
    >>I guess it's the ICH5R controller then, as no SMART software sees the
    >>RAID0
    >>array. It did see a single drive when it was attached to the same
    >>controller, however.
    >>

    > Without knowing much about your setup you could try Intel's "ICH5R
    > Serial ATA RAID Monitoring Utility" or future versions of the "Intel
    > Application Accelerator RAID Edition" or check with the manufacturer
    > (if other).

    It's a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1 mobo and I'm using the ICH5R RAID controller
    with two striped 36gb Raptors in WinXP Pro. This array is the boot drive,
    and I have one 160gb PATA on IDE1 as D:. S.M.A.R.T. works fine on the PATA
    as it did with a single SATA before creating the array. The Monitoring
    Utility appears to be only for Netware. Right?

    > Management functionality tends to be minimal or
    > non-existent on the low-end. I don't know what kind of luck you should
    > be expecting. If you are not intending to boot off the array you can
    > do the striping in the OS and should be able to use ordinary smart
    > tools.

    Frankly, I don't know how any software could monitor a RAID0 setup since
    more than one drive is being seen by the OS as one.

    I have a motherboard with the ICH5R controller. I also have the Application
    Accelerator RAID edition installed so I just checked and sure enough, the
    program will generate a report of your raid array and includes individual
    drive status. The help file lists the possible status entries and one of
    them is a SMART Event, of which I have none so far.

    --Dan

    "Curious George" <CG@email.net> wrote in message
    > Without knowing much about your setup you could try Intel's "ICH5R
    > Serial ATA RAID Monitoring Utility" or future versions of the "Intel
    > Application Accelerator RAID Edition" or check with the manufacturer
    > (if other). Management functionality tends to be minimal or
    > non-existent on the low-end. I don't know what kind of luck you should
    > be expecting. If you are not intending to boot off the array you can
    > do the striping in the OS and should be able to use ordinary smart
    > tools.

    Previously Bob Davis <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:
    [...]
    > Frankly, I don't know how any software could monitor a RAID0 setup since
    > more than one drive is being seen by the OS as one.

    Depends. Exaple: Linux software RAID combines the individual drives and
    partitions into a new device. However the original drives and partitions
    can still be accessed under their original device identifiers and can
    be probed with a SMART utility. Any controller that hides the individual
    disks form the OS has of course the limitation you state and will
    require custom software or will not allow SMART monitoring at all.

    Arno

Hardware Storage IBM