  • IBM
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 29, 2004 3:35:23 AM

Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?

--

To reply, nix "nix" in address.

More about : smart raid0

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 29, 2004 11:35:23 PM

"Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message news:9Mjgd.82514$cJ3.59389@fed1read06
> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?

Sure, any that you can find.
It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 30, 2004 5:09:49 AM

Previously Bob Davis <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:
> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?

Care to tell us what type (which controller or which software) of RAID0?

Arno
a b G Storage
October 30, 2004 11:26:51 AM

Your raid adapter has to support it. If so, either download the software
that manages the adapter (from the manuf. web site) or when you boot the
machine press the setup keys to get into the adapters setup, there may be an
option there to read smart errors. If it is a motherboard connected
straight to the drives, the same applies-either software from the manuf. web
page or boot to a setup mode and look for a way to read the errors.

I know early on, most raid cards didn't support smart for some reason. More
modern cards seem to have support for it.

--Dan

"Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?
>
> --
>
> To reply, nix "nix" in address.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 31, 2004 3:19:00 PM

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

>> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?
>
> Sure, any that you can find.
> It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.

I guess it's the ICH5R controller then, as no SMART software sees the RAID0
array. It did see a single drive when it was attached to the same
controller, however.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2004 2:22:59 AM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:19:00 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
>
>> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>> Is there a program that will read S.M.A.R.T. info from a RAID0 array?
>>
>> Sure, any that you can find.
>> It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.
>
>I guess it's the ICH5R controller then, as no SMART software sees the RAID0
>array. It did see a single drive when it was attached to the same
>controller, however.

Without knowing much about your setup you could try Intel's "ICH5R
Serial ATA RAID Monitoring Utility" or future versions of the "Intel
Application Accelerator RAID Edition" or check with the manufacturer
(if other). Management functionality tends to be minimal or
non-existent on the low-end. I don't know what kind of luck you should
be expecting. If you are not intending to boot off the array you can
do the striping in the OS and should be able to use ordinary smart
tools.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2004 2:23:00 AM

"Curious George" <CG@email.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:19:00 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
> wrote:
>>
>>"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
>>
>>> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> Sure, any that you can find.
>>> It's not the program, it's whether the RAID driver supports S.M.A.R.T.
>>
>>I guess it's the ICH5R controller then, as no SMART software sees the
>>RAID0
>>array. It did see a single drive when it was attached to the same
>>controller, however.
>>

> Without knowing much about your setup you could try Intel's "ICH5R
> Serial ATA RAID Monitoring Utility" or future versions of the "Intel
> Application Accelerator RAID Edition" or check with the manufacturer
> (if other).

It's a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1 mobo and I'm using the ICH5R RAID controller
with two striped 36gb Raptors in WinXP Pro. This array is the boot drive,
and I have one 160gb PATA on IDE1 as D:. S.M.A.R.T. works fine on the PATA
as it did with a single SATA before creating the array. The Monitoring
Utility appears to be only for Netware. Right?

> Management functionality tends to be minimal or
> non-existent on the low-end. I don't know what kind of luck you should
> be expecting. If you are not intending to boot off the array you can
> do the striping in the OS and should be able to use ordinary smart
> tools.

Frankly, I don't know how any software could monitor a RAID0 setup since
more than one drive is being seen by the OS as one.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2004 5:52:04 AM

I have a motherboard with the ICH5R controller. I also have the Application
Accelerator RAID edition installed so I just checked and sure enough, the
program will generate a report of your raid array and includes individual
drive status. The help file lists the possible status entries and one of
them is a SMART Event, of which I have none so far.

--Dan

"Curious George" <CG@email.net> wrote in message
> Without knowing much about your setup you could try Intel's "ICH5R
> Serial ATA RAID Monitoring Utility" or future versions of the "Intel
> Application Accelerator RAID Edition" or check with the manufacturer
> (if other). Management functionality tends to be minimal or
> non-existent on the low-end. I don't know what kind of luck you should
> be expecting. If you are not intending to boot off the array you can
> do the striping in the OS and should be able to use ordinary smart
> tools.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2004 11:26:39 PM

Previously Bob Davis <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote:
[...]
> Frankly, I don't know how any software could monitor a RAID0 setup since
> more than one drive is being seen by the OS as one.

Depends. Exaple: Linux software RAID combines the individual drives and
partitions into a new device. However the original drives and partitions
can still be accessed under their original device identifiers and can
be probed with a SMART utility. Any controller that hides the individual
disks form the OS has of course the limitation you state and will
require custom software or will not allow SMART monitoring at all.

Arno