Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0 (Import Video)

When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no video. I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about importing video movie maker import video

    If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on the pc,
    such as powerdvd.
    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no video.
    I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.

    > Thanks

    I have the same problem
    can we have more info on how this will solve the problem ?

    Does PowerDVD contains codecs that will help MM to read the video track ?
    or will we have to convert our dvd files to mpg using Power DVD before
    importing them in MM ?

    thanks
    Francois Cote
    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
    > If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on the
    pc,
    > such as powerdvd.
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" <Importing Video with Movie Maker
    2.0
    > @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no
    video.
    > I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Ooops, skim reading two question and answering them both wrong, sorry.....

    Dvd files are mpeg2 files. To be able to view them in WMP you need the likes
    of powerdvd to supply the codec to watch it. It has nothing to do with MM.
    It depends on which codec was used to make teh file to be able to import in
    to MM, it is always best if you can to use .AVI files. So first thing I'd
    suggest is to convert the mpeg to an avi and see if that works.

    Graham
    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP

    "Francois Cote" <francois@francoiscote.net> wrote in message
    > I have the same problem
    > can we have more info on how this will solve the problem ?
    >
    > Does PowerDVD contains codecs that will help MM to read the video track ?
    > or will we have to convert our dvd files to mpg using Power DVD before
    > importing them in MM ?
    >
    > thanks
    > Francois Cote
    > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
    message
    > > If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on the
    > pc,
    > > such as powerdvd.
    > > Graham
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP
    > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" <Importing Video with Movie Maker
    > 2.0
    > > @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no
    > video.
    > > I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    and now that I have woken up properly.........

    Have a read of this

    www.papajohn.org

    Importing source files > video > MPEG2

    Which will give a bit more info than I have already......not done..... :(

    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    > Ooops, skim reading two question and answering them both wrong, sorry.....
    >
    > Dvd files are mpeg2 files. To be able to view them in WMP you need the
    likes
    > of powerdvd to supply the codec to watch it. It has nothing to do with MM.
    > It depends on which codec was used to make teh file to be able to import
    in
    > to MM, it is always best if you can to use .AVI files. So first thing I'd
    > suggest is to convert the mpeg to an avi and see if that works.
    >
    > Graham
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    >
    > "Francois Cote" <francois@francoiscote.net> wrote in message
    > > I have the same problem
    > > can we have more info on how this will solve the problem ?
    > >
    > > Does PowerDVD contains codecs that will help MM to read the video track
    ?
    > > or will we have to convert our dvd files to mpg using Power DVD before
    > > importing them in MM ?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Francois Cote
    > > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
    > message
    > > > If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on
    the
    > > pc,
    > > > such as powerdvd.
    > > > Graham
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP
    > > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > > "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" <Importing Video with Movie
    Maker
    > > 2.0
    > > > @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > video.
    > > > I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.

    I too am having problems importing my video into Movie Maker. I first
    received a message saying it was an 'unsupported file format' so I figured
    out how to change the video to avi. Now the message is that I have the
    'wrong codec' to play the file so it wont import it. I have DivX codec but
    that doesnt seem to help. How can I find out what codec the computer
    requires?

    "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" wrote:

    > When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no video. I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.
    >
    > Thanks

Video Movie Maker Microsoft Media Player Windows XP