Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0 (Import Video)

June 23, 2004 8:40:01 PM

When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no video. I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.

Thanks
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 7:39:09 PM

If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on the pc,
such as powerdvd.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no video.
I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.

> Thanks

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 7:39:10 PM

I have the same problem
can we have more info on how this will solve the problem ?

Does PowerDVD contains codecs that will help MM to read the video track ?
or will we have to convert our dvd files to mpg using Power DVD before
importing them in MM ?

thanks
Francois Cote
"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o zoZtIsWEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on the
pc,
> such as powerdvd.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" <Importing Video with Movie Maker
2.0
> @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no
video.
> I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.
> >
> > Thanks

June 26, 2004 1:42:16 AM

Ooops, skim reading two question and answering them both wrong, sorry.....

Dvd files are mpeg2 files. To be able to view them in WMP you need the likes
of powerdvd to supply the codec to watch it. It has nothing to do with MM.
It depends on which codec was used to make teh file to be able to import in
to MM, it is always best if you can to use .AVI files. So first thing I'd
suggest is to convert the mpeg to an avi and see if that works.

Graham
--
Graham Hughes
MVP

"Francois Cote" <francois@francoiscote.net> wrote in message
news:o 3sfXjsWEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have the same problem
> can we have more info on how this will solve the problem ?
>
> Does PowerDVD contains codecs that will help MM to read the video track ?
> or will we have to convert our dvd files to mpg using Power DVD before
> importing them in MM ?
>
> thanks
> Francois Cote
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
message
> news:o zoZtIsWEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on the
> pc,
> > such as powerdvd.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" <Importing Video with Movie Maker
> 2.0
> > @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I import a home mpeg video I get only the sound, absolutely no
> video.
> > I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:51:07 PM

and now that I have woken up properly.........

Have a read of this

www.papajohn.org

Importing source files > video > MPEG2

Which will give a bit more info than I have already......not done..... :(

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
> Ooops, skim reading two question and answering them both wrong, sorry.....
>
> Dvd files are mpeg2 files. To be able to view them in WMP you need the
likes
> of powerdvd to supply the codec to watch it. It has nothing to do with MM.
> It depends on which codec was used to make teh file to be able to import
in
> to MM, it is always best if you can to use .AVI files. So first thing I'd
> suggest is to convert the mpeg to an avi and see if that works.
>
> Graham
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
>
> "Francois Cote" <francois@francoiscote.net> wrote in message
> news:o 3sfXjsWEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > I have the same problem
> > can we have more info on how this will solve the problem ?
> >
> > Does PowerDVD contains codecs that will help MM to read the video track
?
> > or will we have to convert our dvd files to mpg using Power DVD before
> > importing them in MM ?
> >
> > thanks
> > Francois Cote
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > news:o zoZtIsWEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > If it's a dvd movie then you need another mpeg decoder installed on
the
> > pc,
> > > such as powerdvd.
> > > Graham
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > "Importing Video with Movie Maker 2.0" <Importing Video with Movie
Maker
> > 2.0
> > > @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > video.
> > > I can watch the video with Windows Media Player.

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 8:29:01 AM

I too am having problems importing my video into Movie Maker. I first
received a message saying it was an 'unsupported file format' so I figured
out how to change the video to avi. Now the message is that I have the
'wrong codec' to play the file so it wont import it. I have DivX codec but
that doesnt seem to help. How can I find out what codec the computer
requires?

!