Ghost 9 Problem

Finally, exhausted from recent numerous reinstallations of windows and
all programs due to corruptions caused by Windows updates, I am ready
to try Ghost.

After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 on my
Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive in 3 NTFS
partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my taskbar in a
"Ready" state.

When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost" I get a
window and the following error message:
"The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
The icon in the task bar then declares:
"Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.

I have unsinstalled and reinstalled Ghost and rebooted several times,
but the same error messages come up. Each time, the installation
appears to be successful and I reboot after installation.

I haven't found these particular error messages discussed in my on
line and knowledge base searches.

What could the matter be?

Is the hard drive too big?
Do I need a FAT32 partition?
Have I done or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
MHenry
36 answers Last reply
More about ghost problem

    "MHenry" <MHenry@blank.net> wrote in message
    > Finally, exhausted from recent numerous reinstallations of windows and
    > all programs due to corruptions caused by Windows updates, I am ready
    > to try Ghost.
    >
    > After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 on my
    > Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive in 3 NTFS
    > partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my taskbar in a
    > "Ready" state.
    >
    > When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost" I get a
    > window and the following error message:
    > "The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
    > The icon in the task bar then declares:
    > "Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
    > last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.
    >
    > I have unsinstalled and reinstalled Ghost and rebooted several times,
    > but the same error messages come up. Each time, the installation
    > appears to be successful and I reboot after installation.
    >
    > I haven't found these particular error messages discussed in my on
    > line and knowledge base searches.
    >
    > What could the matter be?
    >
    > Is the hard drive too big?
    > Do I need a FAT32 partition?
    > Have I done or am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MHenry

    I don't know the answer to this one, but when an error says:

    "> "Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
    > last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system."

    The don't you think it's a good idea to describe all storage devices
    attached to your system?

    --
    Joep

    "MHenry" wrote:
    > Finally, exhausted from recent numerous reinstallations
    > of windows and all programs due to corruptions caused
    > by Windows updates, I am ready to try Ghost.
    >
    > After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.
    > on my Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive
    > in 3 NTFS partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my
    > taskbar in a "Ready" state.
    >
    > When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost"
    > I get a window and the following error message:
    > "The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
    > The icon in the task bar then declares:
    > "Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
    > last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.
    >
    > I have unsinstalled and reinstalled Ghost and rebooted several times,
    > but the same error messages come up. Each time, the installation
    > appears to be successful and I reboot after installation.
    >
    > I haven't found these particular error messages discussed in my on
    > line and knowledge base searches.
    >
    > What could the matter be?
    >
    > Is the hard drive too big?
    > Do I need a FAT32 partition?
    > Have I done or am I doing something wrong?

    Does Disk Management report the proper size for the hard
    disk? How old is your PC? Have you installed ("flashed")
    the latest version of its BIOS?

    *TimDaniels*

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:32:36 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
    <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"MHenry" wrote:
    Cut...

    >> After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.
    >> on my Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive
    >> in 3 NTFS partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my
    >> taskbar in a "Ready" state.
    >>
    >> When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost"
    >> I get a window and the following error message:
    >> "The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
    >> The icon in the task bar then declares:
    >> "Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
    >> last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.

    Cut

    > Does Disk Management report the proper size for the hard
    > disk? How old is your PC? Have you installed ("flashed")
    > the latest version of its BIOS?
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Hi, Tim,

    Device Manager indicates the proper hard drive.
    I am not familiar with Disk Management, but I found it by right
    clicking My Computer and got to Storage Management where it said all
    my partitions and CD ROM drives are healthy and displays the proper
    partition information, and reports the correct size for my Hard Drive.

    My PC is about 2.5 years old.

    When I reinstalled Windows (over and over again), I updated something
    or other with my Mainboard Utility Disk. I don't know if this is the
    equivalent of "flashing" my BIOS, and if it is, if the version on the
    CD is the latest version.

    I am in unfamiliar territory here.

    What else should I try?

    I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
    Is that the correct setting?

    Thanks,
    MHenry

    "MHenry" wrote:
    > Device Manager indicates the proper hard drive.
    > I am not familiar with Disk Management, but I found it by right
    > clicking My Computer and got to Storage Management where it said all
    > my partitions and CD ROM drives are healthy and displays the proper
    > partition information, and reports the correct size for my Hard Drive.
    >
    > My PC is about 2.5 years old.
    >
    > When I reinstalled Windows (over and over again), I updated something
    > or other with my Mainboard Utility Disk. I don't know if this is the
    > equivalent of "flashing" my BIOS, and if it is, if the version on the
    > CD is the latest version.
    >
    > I am in unfamiliar territory here.
    >
    > What else should I try?
    >
    > I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
    > Is that the correct setting?

    Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
    information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
    Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
    be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
    and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
    Ghost.

    *TimDaniels*

    I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
    partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted NDD
    to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete all
    the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I have
    three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the problem
    with Norton Ghost on my system.
    Windows recognizes and uses all three partitions.
    I don't want to mess with a working system, but I still want to make a
    backup image.

    Still looking for help on this.

    Thanks,
    MHenry

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "MHenry" wrote:

    > > I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
    > > Is that the correct setting?

    No, make sure it is enabled.

    > Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
    > information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
    > Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
    > be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
    > and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
    > Ghost.

    Doesn't make a difference.

    "Eric Gisin" wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >> "MHenry" wrote:
    >
    >> > I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
    >> > Is that the correct setting?
    >>
    > No, make sure it is enabled.

    Why?

    >> Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
    >> information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
    >> Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
    >> be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
    >> and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
    >> Ghost.
    >
    > Doesn't make a difference.

    PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 guidebook clearly states:
    "The latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework must
    be installed *prior* to installing and using Drive Image."

    Norton's Ghost 9.0 is a rebadged Drive Image 7.

    *TimDaniels*

    > > No, make sure it is enabled.
    >
    > Why?

    You want to know when you start up your system if the drive might die, so you
    can interrupt the boot and run diagnostics.

    > >> Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
    > >> information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
    > >> Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
    > >> be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
    > >> and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
    > >> Ghost.
    > >
    > > Doesn't make a difference.
    >
    > PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 guidebook clearly states:
    > "The latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework must
    > be installed *prior* to installing and using Drive Image."
    >
    > Norton's Ghost 9.0 is a rebadged Drive Image 7.

    I have CladDVD .net, which says the same thing. It worked fine the other way.

    MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> writes:

    >I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
    >partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted NDD
    >to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete all
    >the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I have
    >three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the problem
    >with Norton Ghost on my system.

    Find a friend who has a copy of Powerquest's "Partition Magic" product.
    (Note that Powerquest has been bought by Symantec. Also, while I've
    seen PM8 on store shelves with a $60 price tag, it's routinely sold
    at computer shows for $28 -- and a good buy.)

    The reason I'm pointing you to someone who owns PM is that the product
    includes a partition structure checker PARTINFO.EXE, which posts on
    its output a statement that it can be freely shared. The output is
    quite verbose (you'll want to redirect the output to a file and
    then view that file with a viewer or editor) but it may explain
    what's wrong with the partition chain.

    Note that PARTINFO needs to be run from a DOS boot. If you don't have
    one handy, check http://www.bootdisk.com for downloads.

    Question: have you ever used Linux to rearrange the partition
    structure on your disk? I've seen the Linux 'fidsk' program build
    a partition structure in which the partition start sectors are not
    in ascending order (e.g., the start sector of partition 3 might
    be lower than that of partition 2); while I've never seen an
    authoratative Microsoft document which requires that they be in
    ascending order that's the way that the Microsoft 'fdisk' will
    always create them. In production Windows may have no problems
    using the out-of-order partitions, but system maintenance tools
    may barf.

    Joe Morris

    Joe Morris wrote:
    > MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> writes:
    >
    >> I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
    >> partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted
    >> NDD to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete
    >> all the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I
    >> have three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the
    >> problem with Norton Ghost on my system.
    >
    > Find a friend who has a copy of Powerquest's "Partition Magic"
    > product. (Note that Powerquest has been bought by Symantec. Also,
    > while I've seen PM8 on store shelves with a $60 price tag, it's
    > routinely sold
    > at computer shows for $28 -- and a good buy.)
    >
    > The reason I'm pointing you to someone who owns PM is that the product
    > includes a partition structure checker PARTINFO.EXE, which posts on
    > its output a statement that it can be freely shared. The output is
    > quite verbose (you'll want to redirect the output to a file and
    > then view that file with a viewer or editor) but it may explain
    > what's wrong with the partition chain.
    >
    > Note that PARTINFO needs to be run from a DOS boot. If you don't have
    > one handy, check http://www.bootdisk.com for downloads.
    >
    > Question: have you ever used Linux to rearrange the partition
    > structure on your disk? I've seen the Linux 'fidsk' program build
    > a partition structure in which the partition start sectors are not
    > in ascending order (e.g., the start sector of partition 3 might
    > be lower than that of partition 2); while I've never seen an
    > authoratative Microsoft document which requires that they be in
    > ascending order that's the way that the Microsoft 'fdisk' will
    > always create them. In production Windows may have no problems
    > using the out-of-order partitions, but system maintenance tools
    > may barf.
    >
    > Joe Morris

    Norton Ghost 9.0 comes with the Windows version of the PARTINFO tool (what
    the OP actually needs since the problems occur in Windows). Open the SUPPORT
    folder on the program CD and start the tool called PartInNT.exe (save the
    output file by either clicking on the "Save As..." button or on the "Copy to
    Clipboard" button and pasting the contents in e.g. Notepad).

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:53:19 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
    <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    > Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
    > information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
    > Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
    > be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
    > and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
    > Ghost.

    Hi, Tim,

    Thanks for the further suggestions.

    I did install Net Framework 1.1 and the service pack first.
    So, that should not be the problem.

    Since there seems to be differing opinions on use of S.M.A.R.T.,
    I can try enabling and disabling S.M.A.R.T. and see what happens.

    Thanks,
    MHenry

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:12:24 +0000 (UTC), Joe Morris
    <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:

    >MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> writes:
    >
    >>I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
    >>partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted NDD
    >>to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete all
    >>the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I have
    >>three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the problem
    >>with Norton Ghost on my system.
    >
    >Find a friend who has a copy of Powerquest's "Partition Magic" product.
    >(Note that Powerquest has been bought by Symantec. Also, while I've
    >seen PM8 on store shelves with a $60 price tag, it's routinely sold
    >at computer shows for $28 -- and a good buy.)
    >
    >The reason I'm pointing you to someone who owns PM is that the product
    >includes a partition structure checker PARTINFO.EXE, which posts on
    >its output a statement that it can be freely shared. The output is
    >quite verbose (you'll want to redirect the output to a file and
    >then view that file with a viewer or editor) but it may explain
    >what's wrong with the partition chain.

    I will try this, either with Partition Magic diagnostic tool you
    recommend, or the Norton version as recommended by Michael Kimmer.
    Maybe I will try both if necessary or helpful.

    >Note that PARTINFO needs to be run from a DOS boot. If you don't have
    >one handy, check http://www.bootdisk.com for downloads.

    I definitely need to do this. Thanks.

    >Question: have you ever used Linux to rearrange the partition
    >structure on your disk? I've seen the Linux 'fidsk' program build
    >a partition structure in which the partition start sectors are not
    >in ascending order (e.g., the start sector of partition 3 might
    >be lower than that of partition 2); while I've never seen an
    >authoratative Microsoft document which requires that they be in
    >ascending order that's the way that the Microsoft 'fdisk' will
    >always create them. In production Windows may have no problems
    >using the out-of-order partitions, but system maintenance tools
    >may barf.

    Interesting. I have never used Linux, but the start sectors out of
    order issue seems possible. After one of my recent system crashes
    (caused by an attempted Windows 2000 SP4 update), I removed the C
    partition on which I had the operating system and reformatted it. It
    showed up as partition C again, along with D and E previously existing
    and left untouched. I did not want to reformat and partition the
    entire drive again because I had a lot of data on the D and E
    partitions. I probably should get another hard drive just to store the
    data in between reformats. But maybe the partitions are not the right
    order because of the procedure I used.

    Thanks for your suggestions,
    MHenry

    >Joe Morris

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:46:12 +0100, "Michael Kimmer"
    <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote:

    >Joe Morris wrote:
    >> MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> writes:
    >>
    >>> I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
    >>> partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted
    >>> NDD to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete
    >>> all the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I
    >>> have three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the
    >>> problem with Norton Ghost on my system.
    >>

    >> Note that PARTINFO needs to be run from a DOS boot. If you don't have
    >> one handy, check http://www.bootdisk.com for downloads.
    >>

    >Norton Ghost 9.0 comes with the Windows version of the PARTINFO tool (what
    >the OP actually needs since the problems occur in Windows). Open the SUPPORT
    >folder on the program CD and start the tool called PartInNT.exe (save the
    >output file by either clicking on the "Save As..." button or on the "Copy to
    >Clipboard" button and pasting the contents in e.g. Notepad).

    I ran PartinNT.exe and got errors, including disk geometry errors.
    I don't understand what all of this means in terms of what I should
    do.

    Here is the output in case someone can help me interpret the results
    and draw the proper conclusions. That is, what now?

    PowerQuest PartitionInfo 8.0 -- Windows NT/2000 Version
    Date Generated: 10/31/04 12:29:16
    Copyright (c)1994-2002, PowerQuest Corporation
    Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
    as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

    PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm), and
    DriveCopy(tm), can be reached at:
    Voice: 801-437-8900
    Fax: 801-226-8941
    Web site: http://www.powerquest.com/support/
    E-mail: magic@powerquest.com

    General System Information:
    Total Physical Memory (bytes): 536,330,240
    Used Physical Memory: (bytes): 174,247,936
    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes): 1,306,468,352
    Current Page File Size: (bytes): 160,260,096

    ===========================================================================================================
    Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1: 16709 Cylinders, 255 Heads,
    63 Sectors/Track
    System PartSect # Boot BCyl Head Sect FS ECyl Head
    Sect StartSect NumSects
    ===========================================================================================================
    0 0 80 0 1 1 07 1023 254
    63 63 163,846,872
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    0 0 80 0 1 1 07 10198 254 63 63
    163846872
    0 1 00 1023 0 1 0F 1023 254
    63 163,846,935 324,496,935
    Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    0 1 00 10199 0 1 0F 30397 254 63 163846935
    324496935
    Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
    ucEndCylinder (30397) must be less than 16709.
    163,846,935 0 00 1023 1 1 07 1023 254
    63 163,846,998 163,830,807
    Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    163846935 0 00 10199 1 1 07 20396 254 63 163846998
    163830807
    Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
    ucEndCylinder (20396) must be less than 16709.
    163,846,935 1 00 1023 0 1 05 1023 254
    63 327,677,805 160,633,935
    Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    163846935 1 00 20397 0 1 05 30395 254 63 327677805
    160633935
    Error #107: Partition begins after end of disk.
    ucBeginCylinder (20397) must be less than 16709.
    Warning #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
    ucEndCylinder (30395) must be less than 16709.
    327,677,805 0 00 1023 1 1 07 1023 254
    63 327,677,868 160,633,872
    Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    327677805 0 00 20397 1 1 07 30395 254 63 327677868
    160633872
    Error #107: Partition begins after end of disk.
    ucBeginCylinder (20397) must be less than 16709.
    Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
    ucEndCylinder (30395) must be less than 16709.

    ===========================================================================================================
    Partition Information for Disk 1: 131,069.4 Megabytes
    Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect #
    StartSect TotalSects
    ===========================================================================================================
    C: NTFS Pri,Boot 80,003.4 0 0
    63 163,846,872
    ExtendedX Pri 158,445.8 0 1
    163,846,935 324,496,935
    EPBR Log 79,995.5 None --
    163,846,935 163,830,870
    D: NTFS Log 79,995.5 163,846,935 0
    163,846,998 163,830,807
    EPBR Log 78,434.5 163,846,935 1
    327,677,805 160,633,935
    E: NTFS Log 78,434.5 327,677,805 0
    327,677,868 160,633,872
    Unallocated Log 15.7 None --
    488,311,740 32,130

    ===========================================================================================================
    Boot Record for drive C: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 63, Type: NTFS)
    ===========================================================================================================
    1. Jump: EB 52 90
    2. OEM Name: NTFS
    3. Bytes per Sector: 512
    4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    6. Number of FATs: 0
    7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    8. Total Sectors: 0
    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    15. Unused: 0x80008000
    16. Total NTFS Sectors: 163846871
    17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10240429
    19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    21. Serial Number: 0x4274591674590E53
    22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    ===========================================================================================================
    Boot Record for drive D: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 163,846,998,
    Type: NTFS)
    ===========================================================================================================
    1. Jump: EB 52 90
    2. OEM Name: NTFS
    3. Bytes per Sector: 512
    4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    6. Number of FATs: 0
    7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    8. Total Sectors: 0
    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    15. Unused: 0x80008000
    16. Total NTFS Sectors: 163830806
    17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10239425
    19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    21. Serial Number: 0x1E74CF9274CF6ADB
    22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    ===========================================================================================================
    Boot Record for drive E: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 327,677,868,
    Type: NTFS)
    ===========================================================================================================
    1. Jump: EB 52 90
    2. OEM Name: NTFS
    3. Bytes per Sector: 512
    4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    6. Number of FATs: 0
    7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    8. Total Sectors: 0
    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    15. Unused: 0x80008000
    16. Total NTFS Sectors: 160633871
    17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10039616
    19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    21. Serial Number: 0xC2A07F75A07F6F33
    22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    Boot your system to BIOS setup and verify settings. I also assume that you
    have WindowsXP SP1 installed (>137GB Hard Disk 48-bit Logical Block
    Addressing error fixed).

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================
    > 1. Jump: EB 52 90
    > 2. OEM Name: NTFS
    > 3. Bytes per Sector: 512
    > 4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    > 5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    > 6. Number of FATs: 0
    > 7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    > 8. Total Sectors: 0
    > 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    > 10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    > 11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    > 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    > 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    > 14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    > 15. Unused: 0x80008000
    > 16. Total NTFS Sectors: 160633871
    > 17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    > 18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10039616
    > 19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    > 20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    > 21. Serial Number: 0xC2A07F75A07F6F33
    > 22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    > 23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    You have a 240GB disk, but the BIOS only sees 137GB.

    No DOS tools will work properly. Windows needs a IDE driver with large drive
    support.

    MHenry wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:46:12 +0100, "Michael Kimmer"
    > <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> Joe Morris wrote:

    >>> Note that PARTINFO needs to be run from a DOS boot. If you don't
    >>> have one handy, check http://www.bootdisk.com for downloads.
    >>>

    >> Norton Ghost 9.0 comes with the Windows version of the PARTINFO tool
    >> (what the OP actually needs since the problems occur in Windows).
    >> Open the SUPPORT folder on the program CD and start the tool called
    >> PartInNT.exe (save the output file by either clicking on the "Save
    >> As..." button or on the "Copy to Clipboard" button and pasting the
    >> contents in e.g. Notepad).
    >

    > I ran PartinNT.exe and got errors, including disk geometry errors.
    > I don't understand what all of this means in terms of what I should
    > do.
    >
    > Here is the output in case someone can help me interpret the results
    > and draw the proper conclusions. That is, what now?
    > <cut>

    Guess 48 bit LBA has not been enabled (first thought) as the system cannot
    detect the end of the partitions as they end beyond the magic 128 GB
    boundary!
    Your systems detects 16709 cylinders (131,069.4 MB), but the D: partition
    ends way beyond this end (30397 cylinders), same for the E: partition (20396
    cylinders).

    Solution: Visit:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305098

    --

    Peter wrote:
    > Boot your system to BIOS setup and verify settings. I also assume
    > that you have WindowsXP SP1 installed (>137GB Hard Disk 48-bit
    > Logical Block Addressing error fixed).

    OP has a Windows 2000 SP3 system

    --
    M.f.G.
    Michael Kimmer

    "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Sorry, I have missed that.

    In case of Windows 2000 SP3, the following Q305098 applies:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
    1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
    3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
    value:
    Value name: EnableBigLba
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0x1
    4. Quit Registry Editor.

    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first
    corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.Important Although support for
    48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later, it is
    still necessary to create the registry change that is described in the
    "Resolution" section of this article.

    "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    > > Boot your system to BIOS setup and verify settings. I also assume
    > > that you have WindowsXP SP1 installed (>137GB Hard Disk 48-bit
    > > Logical Block Addressing error fixed).
    > >
    > OP has a Windows 2000 SP3 system
    >
    > --
    > M.f.G.
    > Michael Kimmer
    >
    > "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    > "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Thank you all so much.
    It looks like this is at least part of my problem.
    I have a couple of preliminary questions before I attempt this fix.

    1. The KB article 305098 states:

    The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of
    48-bit LBA ATAPI support: • A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible
    Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed.

    Where do I look in my BIOS to verify this condition?
    In my system board user guide, I see that I have an NT70 system board.
    I am not sure at this moment if it is SA/SC or SL/SR.
    The booklet says nothing about 48-bit LBA large-disk support.
    I installed the Intel 850 INF Update Utility for Windows 98/2000/ME
    which (the booklet says) allos the Intel 850 chipset to be recognized
    and configured properly in the system.

    The KB continues by giving this ominous warning...

    NOTE: If you enable 48-bit LBA ATAPI support by editing the preceding
    registry key, but your system does not meet the minimum requirements,
    you may observe the following behaviors:

    ....Long list of horrors ensues...

    Obviously, I do not want to change my registry until I verify my BIOS.

    2. The instructions for updating the registry indicate:

    >3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
    >value:

    My edit menu provides different choices.

    Instead of Add Value, when I click on edit, the closest choice to Add
    Value\ is New.

    When I click on New, my choices are Key, String Value, Binary Value,
    and DWord Value.

    I am not sure which of these to choose.

    Thanks again for everyone's help.

    MHenry

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:17:44 -0500, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, I have missed that.
    >
    >In case of Windows 2000 SP3, the following Q305098 applies:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
    >
    >To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
    >1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    >2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
    >3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
    >value:
    >Value name: EnableBigLba
    >Data type: REG_DWORD
    >Value data: 0x1
    >4. Quit Registry Editor.
    >
    >Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    >that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first
    >corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.Important Although support for
    >48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later, it is
    >still necessary to create the registry change that is described in the
    >"Resolution" section of this article.
    >
    >"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    >> Peter wrote:
    >> > Boot your system to BIOS setup and verify settings. I also assume
    >> > that you have WindowsXP SP1 installed (>137GB Hard Disk 48-bit
    >> > Logical Block Addressing error fixed).
    >> >
    >> OP has a Windows 2000 SP3 system
    >>
    >> --
    >> M.f.G.
    >> Michael Kimmer
    >>
    >> "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    >> "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 04:40:14 GMT, MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> wrote:

    >Thank you all so much.
    >It looks like this is at least part of my problem.
    >I have a couple of preliminary questions before I attempt this fix.
    >
    >1. The KB article 305098 states:
    >
    >The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of
    >48-bit LBA ATAPI support: • A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible
    >Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed.
    >
    >Where do I look in my BIOS to verify this condition?
    >In my system board user guide, I see that I have an NT70 system board.
    >I am not sure at this moment if it is SA/SC or SL/SR.
    >The booklet says nothing about 48-bit LBA large-disk support.
    >I installed the Intel 850 INF Update Utility for Windows 98/2000/ME
    >which (the booklet says) allos the Intel 850 chipset to be recognized
    >and configured properly in the system.
    >
    >The KB continues by giving this ominous warning...
    >
    >NOTE: If you enable 48-bit LBA ATAPI support by editing the preceding
    >registry key, but your system does not meet the minimum requirements,
    >you may observe the following behaviors:
    >
    >...Long list of horrors ensues...
    >
    >Obviously, I do not want to change my registry until I verify my BIOS.

    I found a program called BIOSAgent that examines BIOS.
    Here is what it reported:

    Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.34
    BIOS Date: 11/14/01
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    BIOS ID: 11/14/2001-i850-W83627-6A69SD4CC
    OEM Sign-On: None
    Chipset: Intel 2530 rev 4
    Superio: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 found at port 2Eh
    OS: Win2000 SP4
    CPU: Intel Pentium(R) 4 2200 Mhz MAX: 2000 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 512 MB
    Memory Maximum: 1024 MB
    Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 03: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 04: 128 MB

    I am confused about this, because it says I have an Intel 2530 rev 4
    chipset and my system board update installed an Intel 850 INF Update.
    Are these two different things?

    The reason I ask is because I also found on Western Digital's website
    this driver...

    Intel: Intel Application Accelerator
    48-bit LBA driver for Intel 8xx chipsets

    I thought that might be a solution if my chipset does not support
    48-bit LBA.

    Here is more information on this subject found here
    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009281.htm

    Intel® Application Accelerator
    48-bit LBA BIOS Support

    Some motherboards may have an updated BIOS available that enables
    48-bit support. At this time however, 48-bit BIOS support is only
    needed if you are using Windows* Me, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 98.
    Additional information on why the BIOS may limit FDISK when
    partitioning hard drives can be found at this Microsoft* Knowledge
    Base article †. While 48-bit LBA BIOS support is not needed for
    Windows XP or Windows 2000, it may add certain 48-bit BIOS
    functionality. This is limited to items such as the BIOS setup menu,
    Power-On Self Test (POST) screen, and operation in a MS-DOS*-based
    environment.

    Windows XP or Windows 2000 Users
    48-bit LBA BIOS support is not necessary. You simply need to follow
    the Large Hard Drive Installation Instructions. If your system
    currently has 48-bit LBA BIOS support, no additional changes are
    needed; you can still follow these instructions.

    and here
    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009297.htm

    Intel® Application Accelerator
    Large Hard Drive Installation Instructions

    In order for your system to recognize hard drives that are larger than
    137GB, we recommend the following steps** (select one option depending
    on your desired configuration):

    Large Drive as Primary Drive (Boot Drive)

    Note: If you are using Windows* Me, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 98,
    please see the 48-bit LBA BIOS Support page for an important notice
    regarding BIOS support.

    Install operating system

    Install the Intel® Application Accelerator
    2a. Use a 3rd party hard drive partitioning software such as
    PartitionMagic* or Partition Commander* and increase the partition
    size to the hard drive's full capacity.

    - or -

    2b. Create additional partitions to take up the full capacity of the
    drive (e.g. one partition setup as 128GB and one extended logical
    partition setup as 24GB)
    Caution: Read Important Notice with Uninstalling the Intel Application
    Accelerator

    (cut)

    This suggests that I cannot fix my LBA situation without wiping out my
    hard drive. I'd be happy to do that next time I reformat, but I have
    reformatted and reinstalled programs and windows updates so many times
    in the past two weeks, I am numb.

    By the way, I did install all the Windows Updates for my system today
    and I am now Windows 2000 SP4.

    Note:
    I also found a program HDInfo here http://www.48bitlba.com/tools.htm
    that says it can test for 48-bit LBA. Unfortunately, the freeware
    version does not do that, and I don't know yet if I need to purchase
    their program to get this information.

    (This hard drive, BIOS stuff is all very new to me.)

    MHenry

    >2. The instructions for updating the registry indicate:
    >
    >>3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
    >>value:
    >
    >My edit menu provides different choices.
    >
    >Instead of Add Value, when I click on edit, the closest choice to Add
    >Value\ is New.
    >
    >When I click on New, my choices are Key, String Value, Binary Value,
    >and DWord Value.
    >
    >I am not sure which of these to choose.
    >
    >Thanks again for everyone's help.
    >
    >MHenry
    >

    >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:17:44 -0500, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry, I have missed that.
    >>
    >>In case of Windows 2000 SP3, the following Q305098 applies:
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
    >>
    >>To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
    >>1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    >>2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
    >>3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
    >>value:
    >>Value name: EnableBigLba
    >>Data type: REG_DWORD
    >>Value data: 0x1
    >>4. Quit Registry Editor.
    >>
    >>Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    >>that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first
    >>corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.Important Although support for
    >>48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later, it is
    >>still necessary to create the registry change that is described in the
    >>"Resolution" section of this article.
    >>
    >>"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    >>> >
    >>> OP has a Windows 2000 SP3 system
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> M.f.G.
    >>> Michael Kimmer
    >>>
    >>> "Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
    >>> "Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "MHenry" wrote:
    > I found a program called BIOSAgent that examines BIOS.
    > Here is what it reported:
    >
    > Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.34
    > BIOS Date: 11/14/01
    > BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    > BIOS ID: 11/14/2001-i850-W83627-6A69SD4CC
    > OEM Sign-On: None
    > Chipset: Intel 2530 rev 4
    > Superio: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 found at port 2Eh
    > OS: Win2000 SP4
    > CPU: Intel Pentium(R) 4 2200 Mhz MAX: 2000 Mhz
    > BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    > BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    > Memory Installed: 512 MB
    > Memory Maximum: 1024 MB
    > Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
    > Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
    > Memory Slot 03: 128 MB
    > Memory Slot 04: 128 MB
    >
    > I am confused about this, because it says I have an Intel 2530 rev 4
    > chipset and my system board update installed an Intel 850 INF Update.
    > Are these two different things?

    Now is the time to contact your system's manufacturer (assuming
    *you* are not the manufacturer). Ask them if your version of their
    BIOS supports "large capacity hard drives". They should know
    what that means. If your version of the BIOS can't handle "large
    capacity hard drives", ask where you can download one that does,
    and then ask them the procedure for "flashing" your BIOS.

    *TimDaniels*
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Timothy,

    I hope I have time to do this tomorrow.

    Thank you very very much for your help.

    And thank to all the others who also helped.

    MHenry

    P.S.,
    I don't suppose there is any chance I won't have to reformat and start
    all over?

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:05:27 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
    <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >Now is the time to contact your system's manufacturer (assuming
    > *you* are not the manufacturer). Ask them if your version of their
    > BIOS supports "large capacity hard drives". They should know
    > what that means. If your version of the BIOS can't handle "large
    > capacity hard drives", ask where you can download one that does,
    > and then ask them the procedure for "flashing" your BIOS.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "MHenry" wrote:
    > P.S.,
    > I don't suppose there is any chance I won't have to reformat and start
    > all over?

    If the problem is the elderly BIOS, I *believe* you won't have to
    re-install your software. Your manufacturer's tech rep should
    be able to answer that. If you flash the BIOS, be careful to do
    it exactly according to directions since it's like brain stem
    surgery on the PC.

    *TimDaniels*
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    You have to find out which board you have.
    Integrated RAID, LAN or Sound.
    Then, get BIOS newer than 01/16/2002

    : T75D2116.bin
    BIOS Date : 01/16/2002
    Release :
    ECR Note :1. Add to support HDD size larger than 137 GB
    2.Fixed that can't resume from S3 mode for ATI 128 Pro AGP
    card

    That could be (for SA board):
    http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NT70SA0524.ZIP

> [...]
    > >>1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    > >>2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    > >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
    > >>3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
    registry
    > >>value:
    > >>Value name: EnableBigLba
    > >>Data type: REG_DWORD
    > >>Value data: 0x1
    > >>4. Quit Registry Editor.
    > >>
    > >>Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    > >>that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first
    > >>corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.Important Although support for
    > >>48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later,
    it is
    > >>still necessary to create the registry change that is described in the

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> writes:

    >Joe Morris wrote:

    >Norton Ghost 9.0 comes with the Windows version of the PARTINFO tool (what
    >the OP actually needs since the problems occur in Windows). Open the SUPPORT
    >folder on the program CD and start the tool called PartInNT.exe (save the
    >output file by either clicking on the "Save As..." button or on the "Copy to
    >Clipboard" button and pasting the contents in e.g. Notepad).

    Thanks; I've not seen Ghost 9. I use Ghost 8 Enterprise, which hasn't
    been updated since Symantec bought PowerQuest.

    Joe Morris
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Timothy,
    >
    > I hope I have time to do this tomorrow.
    >
    > Thank you very very much for your help.
    >
    > And thank to all the others who also helped.
    >
    > MHenry
    >
    > P.S.,
    > I don't suppose there is any chance I won't have to reformat and start
    > all over?
    >
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:05:27 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
    > <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Now is the time to contact your system's manufacturer (assuming
    > > *you* are not the manufacturer). Ask them if your version of their
    > > BIOS supports "large capacity hard drives". They should know
    > > what that means. If your version of the BIOS can't handle "large
    > > capacity hard drives", ask where you can download one that does,
    > > and then ask them the procedure for "flashing" your BIOS.

    If your computer is 2.5 years old, you don't have 48 bit LBA BIOS. My
    computer is also 2.5 years old. The motherboard manufacture just released a
    new version of BIOS 9 months ago so people can use the larger hard drive.
    Before that, the size of hard drive cap is 120GB. Try to download the newest
    BIOS. If you don't see them on mobo manufacture's web site, you can't fix
    this problem. Also, be very careful to flash the BIOS.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hello, Tim, and all other helpful interested parties,

    Thanks to everyone's help, I successfully flashed my BIOS, updated my
    Windows 2000 registry per the MS KB article, got a "no errors found"
    message on latest run of PartInNT.exe where it sees 238GB of Hard
    Drive, and installed Ghost 9.0 with no more error messages! (I ran
    PartInNT before I changed the registry and it still showed the same
    errors as before. When I modified the windows registry, PartInNT ran
    error free.)

    But now I have new problems.

    Windows 2000 no longer sees my third partition.
    It boots up with only two 80GB drives (partitions) C: and D:, and no
    longer sees the third drive (partition) E:.

    And when I select the backup option on the Ghost Disk it doesn't see
    any of the drives (partitions) at all.

    When I boot from the Windows CD, it lists all three partitions just
    the way it did before the above mentioned system changes.

    I thought I might remove the windows registry entry and see if that is
    the problem, but the MS KB article says...

    /After you enable 48-bit LBA support by adding the appropriate
    registry key, data corruption may occur if you remove the registry key
    or if you remove (uninstall) SP3 for Windows 2000./

    Does anyone know what might have happened and what I should do now?

    Thanks,
    MHenry

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:14:26 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
    <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"MHenry" wrote:
    >> P.S.,
    >> I don't suppose there is any chance I won't have to reformat and start
    >> all over?
    >

    > If the problem is the elderly BIOS, I *believe* you won't have to
    > re-install your software. Your manufacturer's tech rep should
    > be able to answer that. If you flash the BIOS, be careful to do
    > it exactly according to directions since it's like brain stem
    > surgery on the PC.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I reran PartInNt and discovered on closer inspection that it sees
    238GB but only sees two partitions also.

    Within the report are a couple of warnings.

    1. Warning: Logical drive chain points to sector without partition
    table.

    2. Warning: EPBR partition starting at 327677805 is without logical
    partition.

    The complete new report follows.

    Also, Disk Management shows C: and D: as healthy 78GB drives and shows
    76.61 GB of free space not designated as a drive.

    ****

    PowerQuest PartitionInfo 8.0 -- Windows NT/2000 Version
    Date Generated: 11/01/04 23:21:05
    Copyright (c)1994-2002, PowerQuest Corporation
    Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
    as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

    PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm), and
    DriveCopy(tm), can be reached at:
    Voice: 801-437-8900
    Fax: 801-226-8941
    Web site: http://www.powerquest.com/support/
    E-mail: magic@powerquest.com

    General System Information:
    Total Physical Memory (bytes): 536,330,240
    Used Physical Memory: (bytes): 242,302,976
    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes): 1,306,398,720
    Current Page File Size: (bytes): 254,611,456

    ===========================================================================================================
    Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1: 30401 Cylinders, 255 Heads,
    63 Sectors/Track
[...]

    Partition Information for Disk 1: 238,472.7 Megabytes
    Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect #
    StartSect TotalSects
    ===========================================================================================================
    C: NTFS Pri,Boot 80,003.4 0 0
    63 163,846,872
    ExtendedX Pri 158,445.8 0 1
    163,846,935 324,496,935
    EPBR Log 79,995.5 None --
    163,846,935 163,830,870
    D: NTFS Log 79,995.5 163,846,935 0
    163,846,998 163,830,807
    EPBR Log 78,434.5 163,846,935 1
    327,677,805 160,633,935
    Warning: EPBR partition starting at 327677805 is without logical
    partition.
    Unallocated Log 15.7 None --
    488,311,740 32,130
    Unallocated Pri 23.5 None --
    488,343,870 48,195

    ===========================================================================================================

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:12:58 GMT, MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> wrote:

    >Hello, Tim, and all other helpful interested parties,
    >
    >Thanks to everyone's help, I successfully flashed my BIOS, updated my
    >Windows 2000 registry per the MS KB article, got a "no errors found"
    >message on latest run of PartInNT.exe where it sees 238GB of Hard
    >Drive, and installed Ghost 9.0 with no more error messages! (I ran
    >PartInNT before I changed the registry and it still showed the same
    >errors as before. When I modified the windows registry, PartInNT ran
    >error free.)
    >
    >But now I have new problems.
    >
    >Windows 2000 no longer sees my third partition.
    >It boots up with only two 80GB drives (partitions) C: and D:, and no
    >longer sees the third drive (partition) E:.
    >
    >And when I select the backup option on the Ghost Disk it doesn't see
    >any of the drives (partitions) at all.
    >
    >When I boot from the Windows CD, it lists all three partitions just
    >the way it did before the above mentioned system changes.
    >
    >I thought I might remove the windows registry entry and see if that is
    >the problem, but the MS KB article says...
    >
    >/After you enable 48-bit LBA support by adding the appropriate
    >registry key, data corruption may occur if you remove the registry key
    >or if you remove (uninstall) SP3 for Windows 2000./
    >
    >Does anyone know what might have happened and what I should do now?
    >

    >Thanks,
    >MHenry
    >
    >On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:14:26 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
    ><TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"MHenry" wrote:
    >>> P.S.,
    >>> I don't suppose there is any chance I won't have to reformat and start
    >>> all over?
    >>

    >> If the problem is the elderly BIOS, I *believe* you won't have to
    >> re-install your software. Your manufacturer's tech rep should
    >> be able to answer that. If you flash the BIOS, be careful to do
    >> it exactly according to directions since it's like brain stem
    >> surgery on the PC.
    >>
    >>*TimDaniels*
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    You have two options:
    1. Revert BIOS to your older version, remove regedit fix for 137GB - you
    should see your third partition again. Backup files from that partition to
    another place. Redo BIOS and regedit. Recreate third partition. Restore
    files.
    2. Play with FindPart and FindNTFS utilities from
    http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm But if you don't have a
    backup, you might lose your data.

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================

    ===============================
    > 1. Jump: EB 52 90
    > 2. OEM Name: NTFS
    > 3. Bytes per Sector: 512
    > 4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    > 5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    > 6. Number of FATs: 0
    > 7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    > 8. Total Sectors: 0
    > 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    > 10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    > 11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    > 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    > 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    > 14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    > 15. Unused: 0x80008000
    > 16. Total NTFS Sectors: 163830806
    > 17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    > 18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10239425
    > 19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    > 20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    > 21. Serial Number: 0x1E74CF9274CF6ADB
    > 22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    > 23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55
    >

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:12:58 GMT, MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello, Tim, and all other helpful interested parties,
    > >
    > >Thanks to everyone's help, I successfully flashed my BIOS, updated my
    > >Windows 2000 registry per the MS KB article, got a "no errors found"
    > >message on latest run of PartInNT.exe where it sees 238GB of Hard
    > >Drive, and installed Ghost 9.0 with no more error messages! (I ran
    > >PartInNT before I changed the registry and it still showed the same
    > >errors as before. When I modified the windows registry, PartInNT ran
    > >error free.)
    > >
    > >But now I have new problems.
    > >
    > >Windows 2000 no longer sees my third partition.
    > >It boots up with only two 80GB drives (partitions) C: and D:, and no
    > >longer sees the third drive (partition) E:.
    > >
    > >And when I select the backup option on the Ghost Disk it doesn't see
    > >any of the drives (partitions) at all.
    > >
    > >When I boot from the Windows CD, it lists all three partitions just
    > >the way it did before the above mentioned system changes.
    > >
    > >I thought I might remove the windows registry entry and see if that is
    > >the problem, but the MS KB article says...
    > >
    > >/After you enable 48-bit LBA support by adding the appropriate
    > >registry key, data corruption may occur if you remove the registry key
    > >or if you remove (uninstall) SP3 for Windows 2000./
    > >
    > >Does anyone know what might have happened and what I should do now?
    > >

    > >Thanks,
    > >MHenry
    > >
    > >On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:14:26 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
    > ><TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    > >> If the problem is the elderly BIOS, I *believe* you won't have to
    > >> re-install your software. Your manufacturer's tech rep should
    > >> be able to answer that. If you flash the BIOS, be careful to do
    > >> it exactly according to directions since it's like brain stem
    > >> surgery on the PC.
    > >>
    > >>*TimDaniels*

  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hi, Peter,

    Thanks for the information.

    I was fortunate enough to have recently moved all my data from my
    third partition to my second partition.

    If the only reason to revert BIOS and remove regedit entry is to
    recover any data that might have been on the third partition, I can
    skip that step, corrent?

    Is there another reason to revert and remove?

    I have already deleted and recreated the third partition, but Windows
    still does not see it.

    The third partition is not formatted. I don't know how to do that if
    Windows won't see it.

    I had an idea I thought I might try. I don't know if it is a good
    idea, though, or if it will fix anything.

    I could go into Windows Setup and install Windows 2000 on the third
    partition. If I remember correctly, Windows will first format the
    partition, then install the system. I thought this might force Windows
    to recognize the third partition. I don't know if that will enable
    Norton Ghost to read my hard drives or get rid of the warnings in the
    Disk Management Report.

    I really don't want to lose my data, and I am going to all this
    trouble so that I can make a backup of my system files and my data. It
    would ironic if I were to lose it in the process of trying to secure
    it. I don't think I have the nerve to play with FindPart or FindNTFS
    just yet.

    For the same reason, I am hesitant to remove the registry entry in
    Windows.

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:34:04 -0500, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >> >error free.)
    >> >
    >> >But now I have new problems.
    >> >
    >> >Windows 2000 no longer sees my third partition.
    >> >It boots up with only two 80GB drives (partitions) C: and D:, and no
    >> >longer sees the third drive (partition) E:.
    >> >
    >> >And when I select the backup option on the Ghost Disk it doesn't see
    >> >any of the drives (partitions) at all.
    >> >
    >> >When I boot from the Windows CD, it lists all three partitions just
    >> >the way it did before the above mentioned system changes.
    >> >
    >> >I thought I might remove the windows registry entry and see if that is
    >> >the problem, but the MS KB article says...
    >> >
    >> >/After you enable 48-bit LBA support by adding the appropriate
    >> >registry key, data corruption may occur if you remove the registry key
    >> >or if you remove (uninstall) SP3 for Windows 2000./
    >> >
    >> >Does anyone know what might have happened and what I should do now?

  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    How exactly did you "deleted and recreated the third partition", please
    describe all steps. How did you check (steps again please) if "Windows see
    the third partition"?
    You are right, no need to play with BIOS or regedit fix if you do not want
    to recover third partition data.
    I assume that you currently run new BIOS and regedit fix for 137GB problem
    is in place.
    I would not recommend to install another Windows instance on third
    partition.
    What is partinnt.exe showing right now?

> [...]
    > >> 4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    > >> 5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    > >> 6. Number of FATs: 0
    > >> 7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    > >> 8. Total Sectors: 0
    > >> 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    > >> 10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    > >> 11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    > >> 12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    > >> 13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    > >> 14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    > >> 15. Unused: 0x80008000
    > >> 16. Total NTFS Sectors: 163846871
    > >> 17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    > >> 18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10240429
    > >> 19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    > >> 20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    > >> 21. Serial Number: 0x4274591674590E53
    > >> 22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    > >> 23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    =
    > >===============================
    > >> Boot Record for drive D: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 163,846,998,

  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Peter,

    I am afraid to reboot!
    (Everything is working perfectly now!!)

    I went through your post and methodically began to list the steps I
    used to delete and recreate the third partition. To do this, I
    repeated the steps I took and wrote them down. In doing this, I was
    able to fix the problem, and I thank you for that. Here are the steps.

    1. Boot from Windows 2000 CD
    2. Enter Windows Setup
    3. Select Install Fresh Windows System
    4. Delete Selected partition (E:) by entering D, then L at the next
    screen to confirm
    5. Create new partition on (now) unformatted space by entering C.
    6. After New partition E: created, F3 to leave Windows setup.

    However, during this process, before step 4, I noticed that Windows
    setup identified my existing third partition as damaged.

    So, I deleted it, recreated it, and then deleted it again.

    I decided to create the third partition using Partition Magic instead.
    (I actually tried to create the third partition using Partition Magic
    before I went through the steps above this morning, but it reported
    problems with the partition.)

    Lo and Behold!

    Partition Magic created the third partition!
    Windows sees it!
    Disk Management sees it!
    Norton Ghost sees it!
    Heck, even I see it!

    Norton Ghost is making a backup of my system from C: to E: as I type
    this (probably another error on my part -- or is it okay to work and
    backup at the same time?)

    I am ecstatic!

    Thank you so so much.

    You, Tim, and all the other people who got me through this.

    I am very grateful to you all.

    Here is the latest PartInNt report, and it looks clean as a whistle.
    No errors, no warnings, no nightmares.

    Symantec PartitionInfo 8.0 -- Windows NT/2000 Version
    Date Generated: 11/02/04 10:10:43
    Copyright (c)1994-2004, Symantec Corporation
    Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
    as it is not modified in any way. All other rights are reserved.

    Symantec, makers of Norton PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm), and
    DriveCopy(tm), can be

    reached at:
    Voice: 801-437-8900
    Fax: 801-226-8941
    Web site: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

    General System Information:
    Total Physical Memory (bytes): 536,330,240
    Used Physical Memory: (bytes): 159,256,576
    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes): 1,306,533,888
    Current Page File Size: (bytes): 257,118,208

    ===============
[...]

    160,666,065
    Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    163846935 1 00 20397 0 1 05 30397 254 63 327677805
    160666065
    327,677,805 0 00 1023 1 1 07 1023 254
    63 327,677,868

    160,666,002
    Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    327677805 0 00 20397 1 1 07 30397 254 63 327677868
    160666002

    ===============
    Partition Information for Disk 1: 238,472.7 Megabytes
    Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect #
    StartSect TotalSects

    ===============
    C: NTFS Pri,Boot 80,003.4 0 0
    63 163,846,872
    ExtendedX Pri 158,445.8 0 1
    163,846,935 324,496,935
    EPBR Log 79,995.5 None --
    163,846,935 163,830,870
    D: NTFS Log 79,995.5 163,846,935 0
    163,846,998 163,830,807
    EPBR Log 78,450.2 163,846,935 1
    327,677,805 160,666,065
    E: NTFS Log 78,450.2 327,677,805 0
    327,677,868 160,666,002
    Unallocated Pri 23.5 None --
    488,343,870 48,195

    ===============
[...]

    16. Total NTFS Sectors: 160666001
    17. MFT Start Cluster: 4
    18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 10041625
    19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    21. Serial Number: 0xC640B48F40B48827
    22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

    MHenry

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:33:01 -0500, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >> I really don't want to lose my data, and I am going to all this
    >> trouble so that I can make a backup of my system files and my data. It
    >> would ironic if I were to lose it in the process of trying to secure
    >> it. I don't think I have the nerve to play with FindPart or FindNTFS
    >> just yet.
    >>
    >> For the same reason, I am hesitant to remove the registry entry in
    >> Windows.
    >>
    >> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:34:04 -0500, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >You have two options:
    >> >1. Revert BIOS to your older version, remove regedit fix for 137GB - you
    >> >should see your third partition again. Backup files from that partition
    >> >another place. Redo BIOS and regedit. Recreate third partition. Restore
    >> >files.
    >> >2. Play with FindPart and FindNTFS utilities from

  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> top posted:

    >I am afraid to reboot!

    Afraid to trim your posts, too, appearently.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hey, don't be afraid, it is just a computer.
    I'm glad it worked for you. Please let us know what happened after reboot.

    ================

    ================

    ================

    ================

    ================

    ================

    ================

    ================

    ================

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> I had an idea I thought I might try. I don't know if it is a good
    > >> idea, though, or if it will fix anything.
    > >>
    > >> I could go into Windows Setup and install Windows 2000 on the third
    > >> partition. If I remember correctly, Windows will first format the
    > >> partition, then install the system. I thought this might force Windows
    > >> to recognize the third partition. I don't know if that will enable
    > >> Norton Ghost to read my hard drives or get rid of the warnings in the
    > >> Disk Management Report.
    > >>
    > >> I really don't want to lose my data, and I am going to all this
    > >> trouble so that I can make a backup of my system files and my data. It
    > >> would ironic if I were to lose it in the process of trying to secure
    > >> it. I don't think I have the nerve to play with FindPart or FindNTFS
    > >> just yet.
    > >>
    > >> For the same reason, I am hesitant to remove the registry entry in

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> top posted:

    >Hey, don't be afraid, it is just a computer.
    >I'm glad it worked for you. Please let us know what happened after reboot.

    633 lines for that, huh? Idiot.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Just wanted to add that Norton Ghost 9.0 conflicts with Half Life 2 /
    Counter Strike: Source .

    MHenry <MHenry@blank.net> wrote in message news:<dq05o05dbli3tbnu9dmkl76eh7ug4b3pjq@4ax.com>...
    > Finally, exhausted from recent numerous reinstallations of windows and
    > all programs due to corruptions caused by Windows updates, I am ready
    > to try Ghost.
    >
    > After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 on my
    > Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive in 3 NTFS
    > partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my taskbar in a
    > "Ready" state.
    >
    > When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost" I get a
    > window and the following error message:
    > "The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
    > The icon in the task bar then declares:
    > "Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
    > last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.
    >
    > I have unsinstalled and reinstalled Ghost and rebooted several times,
    > but the same error messages come up. Each time, the installation
    > appears to be successful and I reboot after installation.
    >
    > I haven't found these particular error messages discussed in my on
    > line and knowledge base searches.
    >
    > What could the matter be?
    >
    > Is the hard drive too big?
    > Do I need a FAT32 partition?
    > Have I done or am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MHenry

Storage