Which USB hard drive enclosure fits?

Is "IDE Ultra ATA-6" and ATA 66 compatible?

Background: I want to buy a hard drive and connect it to my laptop
with an USB enclosure.

The Fujitsu hard drive spec says "IDE Ultra ATA-6". But all the USB
enclosures say "IDE interface: ATA 66 / 100 / 133". Is that the same?
Can I use these USB enclosures to connect the ATA-6 hard drive?

Thanks!!
Markus

On 29 Oct 2004 18:32:39 -0700, markus.cl@gmx.de (Markus Dehmann)
wrote:

>Is "IDE Ultra ATA-6" and ATA 66 compatible?

Not the same thing. Ultra ATA-6 is 133/sec and the 66 is ATA-4 Your
ATA133 hard drive will work fine in the USB enclosure though and if it
can't sustain 133, it can downspeed to the best speed.

YES, it will work
I believe your Fujitsu is ATA 100 or ATA 133

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:58:01 -0400, Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>On 29 Oct 2004 18:32:39 -0700, markus.cl@gmx.de (Markus Dehmann)
>wrote:
>
>>Is "IDE Ultra ATA-6" and ATA 66 compatible?

There is no such thing as "IDE Ultra ATA-6." Are you sure that is
what is printed?

>Not the same thing. Ultra ATA-6 is 133/sec and the 66 is ATA-4 Your
>ATA133 hard drive will work fine in the USB enclosure though and if it
>can't sustain 133, it can downspeed to the best speed.

Are you referring to the ATA/ATAPI-6 standard? ATA/ATAPI-6 adds Ultra
DMA mode 5 (so it is ATA-100 not ATA-133).

It doesn't really matter as ATA devices are backward compatible so
connectivity is likely. Also there would be no performance loss
whether it is operating in ATA-100, 133, or likely even 66 mode in the
case cited. You have more to worry about with the ATA-USB bridge (and
even that is probably minor).