How quieten Maxtor drive

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I have a 160 GB Maxtor Plus 9 IDE drive (model 6Y160P0).

The actuator arm seems to make too much noise when it is working.

Is there a tool to reduce the noise?

I don't want to partition the drive or write the MBR or anything like
that.
5 answers Last reply
More about quieten maxtor drive
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:47:19 +0100, Sammo
    <noone@no-where.com> wrote:

    >I have a 160 GB Maxtor Plus 9 IDE drive (model 6Y160P0).
    >
    >The actuator arm seems to make too much noise when it is working.
    >
    >Is there a tool to reduce the noise?
    >
    >I don't want to partition the drive or write the MBR or anything like
    >that.

    Try AMSET,

    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1200
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    I'm buying this HDD, did you get to 'quiten' the drive?

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:47:19 +0100, Sammo
    > <noone@no-where.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a 160 GB Maxtor Plus 9 IDE drive (model 6Y160P0).
    >>
    >>The actuator arm seems to make too much noise when it is working.
    >>
    >>Is there a tool to reduce the noise?
    >>
    >>I don't want to partition the drive or write the MBR or anything like
    >>that.
    >
    > Try AMSET,
    >
    > http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1200
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Also... Sammo

    Did you notice any major hit in disk performance after the changes made with
    the AMSET utility?
    Thanks
    "Sammo" <noone@no-where.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 160 GB Maxtor Plus 9 IDE drive (model 6Y160P0).
    >
    > The actuator arm seems to make too much noise when it is working.
    >
    > Is there a tool to reduce the noise?
    >
    > I don't want to partition the drive or write the MBR or anything like
    > that.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Sammo wrote:
    > I have a 160 GB Maxtor Plus 9 IDE drive (model 6Y160P0).
    >
    > The actuator arm seems to make too much noise when it is working.
    >
    > Is there a tool to reduce the noise?
    >
    > I don't want to partition the drive or write the MBR or anything like
    > that.

    If it is louder than it was when it was new the get rid of it. Send it back
    for a new one if under warrantee
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:45:49 +0100, "***JB"
    <ignore@ignore.com.invalid> wrote:

    >Also... Sammo
    >
    >Did you notice any major hit in disk performance after the changes made with
    >the AMSET utility?
    >Thanks

    The difference should be a few (perhaps 4?) ms seek
    difference... wouldn't be noticable to most people in use
    but perhaps with something like database work it might.

Hardware Maxtor Storage