AMD / Free HL2 Promo Confusion Please Help

I purchased an AMD Athlon 64 system that came with a coupon for a free copy
of Half Life 2 Bronze. I'm under the impression that I have to go to this
"Steam" website and download the game from there. Say it aint' so, I only
have a 56K internet connection and I know there's no way I can download
something as big as a modern game. I'm afraid to go through the instruction
steps on the coupon in fear of getting locked into an impossible download.

Is there a way I can get a CD or DVD sent in the mail by using this coupon I
have? That would be best for me, I don't mind waiting a month or so to get
it.

If I could get access to someone else's computer that had a high speed
connection, would I be able to download it onto their computer and then burn
it onto a disk for the installation onto my computer?

How big of a download is it, I would imagine at least a gig which would be a
lot even for DSL.

Please help me to clarify this process, As you can probably tell, I'm
utterly confused. Thank You
2 answers Last reply
More about free promo confusion help

    "xyz" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased an AMD Athlon 64 system that came with a coupon for a free copy
    >of Half Life 2 Bronze. I'm under the impression that I have to go to this
    >"Steam" website and download the game from there. Say it aint' so, I only
    >have a 56K internet connection and I know there's no way I can download
    >something as big as a modern game. I'm afraid to go through the
    >instruction steps on the coupon in fear of getting locked into an
    >impossible download.
    >
    > Is there a way I can get a CD or DVD sent in the mail by using this coupon
    > I have? That would be best for me, I don't mind waiting a month or so to
    > get it.

    The coupon came with the ATI graphics card that came with your new
    PC....Well...I'm assuming so....

    If that is the case there is a website ont he coupon...go to that and there
    is (or at least there was) instructions on getting sent the DVD version...

    xyz wrote:
    > I purchased an AMD Athlon 64 system that came with a coupon for a free copy
    > of Half Life 2 Bronze. I'm under the impression that I have to go to this
    > "Steam" website and download the game from there. Say it aint' so, I only
    > have a 56K internet connection and I know there's no way I can download
    > something as big as a modern game. I'm afraid to go through the instruction
    > steps on the coupon in fear of getting locked into an impossible download.
    >
    > Is there a way I can get a CD or DVD sent in the mail by using this coupon I
    > have? That would be best for me, I don't mind waiting a month or so to get
    > it.
    >
    > If I could get access to someone else's computer that had a high speed
    > connection, would I be able to download it onto their computer and then burn
    > it onto a disk for the installation onto my computer?
    >
    > How big of a download is it, I would imagine at least a gig which would be a
    > lot even for DSL.
    >
    > Please help me to clarify this process, As you can probably tell, I'm
    > utterly confused. Thank You

    Downloading HL2 on a 56K connections would take you about a month. I
    haven't done the exact calculation but it is many, many hours!

    Yes, you can use someone else's computer (high speed) to DL the game
    because you can use your own account. I have 56k as well but I ended
    selling my coupon for $35 (through a forsale NG) and then went and
    bought the game. My net outlay was $15 plus taxes on $50.

    The game comes with 5 CDs. You do the math!

    I experienced the same frustrations as you when I bought my A64 3500+
    w/coupon. AMD will not exchange the coupon for a CD/DVD. The only issue
    you have now is downloading the occasional updates on your 56k
    connections. They can take a while.

    Hope this helps

    Ron

    --