HELP!, EXACTLY every minute......

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2004 1:41:02 AM

okay, it started doing this today... Every minute when i have the wireless
card enabled it will send about 20 packets and cause my cpu performance to
jump 60%, this all happens suddenly, then stops, causing my computer to get
clunky for a second. I just reformatted and reinstalled windows XP, with no
luck. Ive disabled everything that automatically updates with no luck either
=(.. some one plz help me!! BTW its a dlink router and and dlink wireless
card.

More about : minute

August 15, 2004 7:47:01 AM

Have you setup WEP and is it 64bit?

"Swampdonky" wrote:

> okay, it started doing this today... Every minute when i have the wireless
> card enabled it will send about 20 packets and cause my cpu performance to
> jump 60%, this all happens suddenly, then stops, causing my computer to get
> clunky for a second. I just reformatted and reinstalled windows XP, with no
> luck. Ive disabled everything that automatically updates with no luck either
> =(.. some one plz help me!! BTW its a dlink router and and dlink wireless
> card.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2004 4:59:02 PM

Try updating the drivers for the wireless network adapter.

"BAR" wrote:

> Have you setup WEP and is it 64bit?
>

> "Swampdonky" wrote:
>
> > okay, it started doing this today... Every minute when i have the wireless
> > card enabled it will send about 20 packets and cause my cpu performance to
> > jump 60%, this all happens suddenly, then stops, causing my computer to get
> > clunky for a second. I just reformatted and reinstalled windows XP, with no
> > luck. Ive disabled everything that automatically updates with no luck either
> > =(.. some one plz help me!! BTW its a dlink router and and dlink wireless
> > card.
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2004 6:03:01 PM

everything is updated, i have an open network, but i enabled WEP with 64 bit
and it still didnt fix it....any ideas!?!?!

"Morfius" wrote:

> Try updating the drivers for the wireless network adapter.
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>
> > Have you setup WEP and is it 64bit?
> >

> > "Swampdonky" wrote:
> >
> > > okay, it started doing this today... Every minute when i have the wireless
> > > card enabled it will send about 20 packets and cause my cpu performance to
> > > jump 60%, this all happens suddenly, then stops, causing my computer to get
> > > clunky for a second. I just reformatted and reinstalled windows XP, with no
> > > luck. Ive disabled everything that automatically updates with no luck either
> > > =(.. some one plz help me!! BTW its a dlink router and and dlink wireless
> > > card.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2004 9:01:01 PM

when idle, or doing anything, every minute my wireless card will send out
some packets, and when it does, my computer gets clunky while it does this!
do u think my card could have gone bad???? it just started doing this! fresh
format and drivers!. PLZ HELP

"Swampdonky" wrote:

> everything is updated, i have an open network, but i enabled WEP with 64 bit
> and it still didnt fix it....any ideas!?!?!
>
> "Morfius" wrote:
>
> > Try updating the drivers for the wireless network adapter.
> >
> > "BAR" wrote:
> >
> > > Have you setup WEP and is it 64bit?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 17, 2004 6:21:04 PM

I would temporarily disable wep. See if that fixes your problem. test it
out for a couple of days of you have the same uninstall and reinstall the
card, if it continues try updating the router firmware if still continues
reinstall xp

"Morfius" wrote:

> Try updating the drivers for the wireless network adapter.
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>
> > Have you setup WEP and is it 64bit?
> >

> > "Swampdonky" wrote:
> >
> > > okay, it started doing this today... Every minute when i have the wireless
> > > card enabled it will send about 20 packets and cause my cpu performance to
> > > jump 60%, this all happens suddenly, then stops, causing my computer to get
> > > clunky for a second. I just reformatted and reinstalled windows XP, with no
> > > luck. Ive disabled everything that automatically updates with no luck either
> > > =(.. some one plz help me!! BTW its a dlink router and and dlink wireless
> > > card.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 5:08:44 PM

Out of interest, what is the make & model of your wireless card and wireless
router?
Having WEP enabled or not should not be the issue. I recommend continuing to
use 64 or 128-bit WEP for your home network.

The built-in Wireless Zero-configiration service in Windows scans for
visible wireless networks every 60 seconds, so this may be what you are
seeing as a slowdown on your machine. It is unusual for you to see a CPU
spike and slowdown during this process though, so I suspect your machine is
trying to re-authenticate to the network after each scan. To verify this,
can you check that you DON'T have the checkbox for 802.1x enabled on your
machine. (This is under the "Authentication" tab once you bring up the
properties for your network. Let me know if you need detailed steps to
locate this information, it is a little buried)

Mark Wodrich
---
purposes only.

!