AVI files

June 25, 2004 12:42:53 PM

I have a digital camera, which allows me to record picture and sound. It has always opened in the windows media player. It is uploaded on my pc as an AVI file. I can only hear voice not see any pics though. Everything else is fully functional on my Pc. But for some reason, I can not see my uploaded AVI files form my cam. Why? Can someone please help me asap. I have yahoo messenger, and can work better on things with direct answers. Fell free to help me please! upstatenyfemale2003@yahoo.com....

More about : avi files

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 4:12:27 PM

It's nearly ALWAYS a codec issue:

Download and install G-Spot from
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Once you analyze the AVI file, it will tell you with which codec it was
compressed. An uncompressed AVI file is over 12gb per hour, (yes, GB not
mb) so it is highly unlikely you have an uncompressed AVI file. A
compressed AVI file needs to have the correct codec installed on your PC
BEFORE it will play correctly.

The two most common codecs are DiVX and XVid.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"upstatenyfemale2003" <upstatenyfemale2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:04EEA562-1205-4EAE-B03A-52491DF7E10A@microsoft.com...
>I have a digital camera, which allows me to record picture and sound. It
>has always opened in the windows media player. It is uploaded on my pc as
>an AVI file. I can only hear voice not see any pics though. Everything else
>is fully functional on my Pc. But for some reason, I can not see my
>uploaded AVI files form my cam. Why? Can someone please help me asap. I
>have yahoo messenger, and can work better on things with direct answers.
>Fell free to help me please! upstatenyfemale2003@yahoo.com....
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 1:49:01 PM

I also have the problem of a blank screen (but can hear the audio). My camera is a Samsung Digimax V3 (which produces AVI files) and I am using XP Home, Media Player 9.
Media Player 8 also gave a blank screen, but I have recently discovered that MP7 on 98SE works. Quicktime (free to download from Apple.com) works on my XP machine.
Thanks Cari for the information. I have downloaded GSpot and will see what that says.

!