second hard drive

deb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

Hi,
I want to install a second hard drive as I only have a 12GB one at present.
I have a K7S5A Socket A Mother Board (supports Ultra DMA 33/66/100), I'm
running XP Professional OS and thinking of getting an 80GB, possibly 120GB
new hard drive, any recommendations brandwise?

Any advice on problems encountered or just helpful hints would be gladly
received.

Ta
Deb

Deb, both Maxtor and WD make very good drives. Get one with 8MB buffer
and 7200rpm. Do you want to reinstall XP
onto the new drive? If yes, the drive may come with software to
accomplish that. Make sure you get SP1 installed. Use the
Primary IDE Channel for the new drive. Secondary for old drive. Any Dvd
or Cdrom drives connect as Slave to the old
drive. Good Luck.