BIOS settings when using single SATA drive

Hi
I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive and a CD/DVD ROM drive,
on a GIgabyte GA-K8NS Pro mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. Now, I have got
it all working, but about one time out of three it freezes around the
'Detecting IDE drives' shortly after booting up. Could anyone suggest
particular BIOS settings I need to change regarding IDE, SATA etc -
presumably I can ignore RAID (I've disabled it). Should the CD drive be in
IDE channel 1 or 2 or doesn't it matter?
For those who know the mobo, I've connected the hard drive to the SATAO_SB
connector.
Any suggestions gratefully received
Greg Chapman

I had a similar problem with my iDEQ 200N when I
installed a SATA drive. My problem was that the BIOS
boot order was not specified correctly. I essentially
had the following boot order:

[CDROM]
[HDD-0]
[Other]

The problem was that HDD-0 referred to my IDE drive
-- the one I had just removed and replaced with a
shiny new SATA HDD. Since my PC couldn't find HDD-0,
it tried booting from "Other", which meant sometimes
it tried to boot from my non-bootable IDE data drive
(HDD-1), sometimes it tried to boot from my empty
CDROM, and it even tried to boot from my iPod when
it was connected -- all causing hanging like you
describe.

On my motherboard the SATA drive is referred to as
SCSI in the boot list, so I changed my boot order
to this to make my problems go away:

[CDROM]
[SCSI]
[Other]

The channel or master/slave setting should matter
on your IDE drive, but you can make your CDROM
master (presumably without slave) on channel 1 if
you want to be safe.

Greg Chapman wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive
> and a CD/DVD ROM drive, on a GIgabyte GA-K8NS Pro
> mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. Now, I have got
> it all working, but about one time out of three it
> freezes around the 'Detecting IDE drives' shortly
> after booting up. Could anyone suggest particular
> BIOS settings I need to change regarding IDE, SATA
> etc - presumably I can ignore RAID (I've disabled
> it). Should the CD drive be in IDE channel 1 or
> 2 or doesn't it matter? For those who know the
> mobo, I've connected the hard drive to the SATAO_SB
> connector.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received
>
> Greg Chapman

I think I've found the answer to this - something to do with BIOS looking
for drives before they've warmed up properly, and I have to set a longer
boot delay. But the BIOS doesn't have a setting for this. Any suggestions?
Greg Chapman

"Greg Chapman" <gc@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive and a CD/DVD ROM
> drive, on a GIgabyte GA-K8NS Pro mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. Now, I
> have got it all working, but about one time out of three it freezes around
> the 'Detecting IDE drives' shortly after booting up. Could anyone suggest
> particular BIOS settings I need to change regarding IDE, SATA etc -
> presumably I can ignore RAID (I've disabled it). Should the CD drive be in
> IDE channel 1 or 2 or doesn't it matter?
> For those who know the mobo, I've connected the hard drive to the SATAO_SB
> connector.
> Any suggestions gratefully received
> Greg Chapman

Thanks Derek - I'll check that out.
Greg Chapman

"Derek" <user@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I had a similar problem with my iDEQ 200N when I
> installed a SATA drive. My problem was that the BIOS
> boot order was not specified correctly. I essentially
> had the following boot order:
>
> [CDROM]
> [HDD-0]
> [Other]
>
> The problem was that HDD-0 referred to my IDE drive
> -- the one I had just removed and replaced with a
> shiny new SATA HDD. Since my PC couldn't find HDD-0,
> it tried booting from "Other", which meant sometimes
> it tried to boot from my non-bootable IDE data drive
> (HDD-1), sometimes it tried to boot from my empty
> CDROM, and it even tried to boot from my iPod when
> it was connected -- all causing hanging like you
> describe.
>
> On my motherboard the SATA drive is referred to as
> SCSI in the boot list, so I changed my boot order
> to this to make my problems go away:
>
> [CDROM]
> [SCSI]
> [Other]
>
> The channel or master/slave setting should matter
> on your IDE drive, but you can make your CDROM
> master (presumably without slave) on channel 1 if
> you want to be safe.
>
> Greg Chapman wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive
> > and a CD/DVD ROM drive, on a GIgabyte GA-K8NS Pro
> > mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. Now, I have got
> > it all working, but about one time out of three it
> > freezes around the 'Detecting IDE drives' shortly
> > after booting up. Could anyone suggest particular
> > BIOS settings I need to change regarding IDE, SATA
> > etc - presumably I can ignore RAID (I've disabled
> > it). Should the CD drive be in IDE channel 1 or
> > 2 or doesn't it matter? For those who know the
> > mobo, I've connected the hard drive to the SATAO_SB
> > connector.
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received
> >
> > Greg Chapman

I finally worked it out - I'd plugged the SATA lead in the wrong socket
(there are four in two pairs, controlled by different parts of the board). I
can't believe there was no info either in the manual, or on the Gigabyte
website, about this!? It boots up fine now.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
Greg

"Greg Chapman" <gc@freeuk.com> wrote in message news:1099962708.32269.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net
> I finally worked it out - I'd plugged the SATA lead in the wrong socket

> (there are four in two pairs, controlled by different parts of the board).

Same problem probably on a majority of boards that have extra IDE
channels next to the CPU-chipset included ones.

> I can't believe there was no info either in the manual, or on the Gigabyte
> website, about this!?

That obviously didn't deter you of making conclusions that by your own
admission couldn't be made.

> It boots up fine now.

It also would have on the other port if you had found out first on what port
that was and had set the bootsequence accordingly.

> Anyway, thanks for your help.
> Greg
>
> "Derek" <user@nospam.org> wrote in message news:2uv3noF2fifo9U1@uni-berlin.de...
> > I had a similar problem ...