Video Capture Device Quit Working

I had a Pyro card working with Canon ZR20, then I upgraded my system to windows XP. The performance seemed to degrade so I downloaded Movie Maker 2 in an attempt to improve performance. However, system quit working alltogether. Get message "video capture device not detected" when in movie maker and "unable to open the specified device" when in Ulead.

Used XP recovery but things still did not revert to previous performance. Installed new card with no improvement. Reinstalled XP and things still don't work.

Yes, my camcorder is on. I have tried booting with and without it on. Have uninstalled card and reinstalled. Tried new cable. Even turned off networking capability of Firewire. No success. Problems seem very similar to thread from George starting on June 9.

Any ideas? At a minimum I would like to uninstall Movie Maker because downloading MM2 is when things quit working completely. How do I do this? XP says part of system and I don't see a way to undo. I may have two versions of MM in conflict ... the one I downloaded and the one with XP but can't be sure.

PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org will give details of how to uninstall
MM2 and revert to MM1... or even how to run both.

Did you try a different IEEE1394 cable? Is the camcorder powered by A/C and
not be its internal battery?
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"DV Novice" <DVNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a Pyro card working with Canon ZR20, then I upgraded my system to
>windows XP. The performance seemed to degrade so I downloaded Movie Maker
>2 in an attempt to improve performance. However, system quit working
>alltogether. Get message "video capture device not detected" when in movie
>maker and "unable to open the specified device" when in Ulead.
>
> Used XP recovery but things still did not revert to previous performance.
> Installed new card with no improvement. Reinstalled XP and things still
> don't work.
>
> Yes, my camcorder is on. I have tried booting with and without it on.
> Have uninstalled card and reinstalled. Tried new cable. Even turned off
> networking capability of Firewire. No success. Problems seem very
> similar to thread from George starting on June 9.
>
> Any ideas? At a minimum I would like to uninstall Movie Maker because
> downloading MM2 is when things quit working completely. How do I do this?
> XP says part of system and I don't see a way to undo. I may have two
> versions of MM in conflict ... the one I downloaded and the one with XP
> but can't be sure.

Thanks for the comment Cari.

Yes, I had already tried a different cable.

I saw the papajohn site and noticed my file sizes were a bit different than what he listed. Decided to first uninstall Ulead and FINALLY got past video capture error only to have a problem where "capturing profiles" were missing and could not get past file naming screen.

Searched MM discussion and reinstalled MM2 with same new problem. Searched MM discussion and installed Media Player 9 with same new problem. Restarted my machine and things worked.

This leaves me not exactly sure where the problem was/is but things are okay for now. I may try reinstalling ULEAD to see if problem repeats or is now gone. I also have to decide if I want to eliminate MM2 since it, with XP, started this problem in the first place.

I can't believe how much time I burned up on this.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org will give details of how to uninstall
> MM2 and revert to MM1... or even how to run both.
>
> Did you try a different IEEE1394 cable? Is the camcorder powered by A/C and
> not be its internal battery?
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "DV Novice" <DVNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a Pyro card working with Canon ZR20, then I upgraded my system to
> >windows XP. The performance seemed to degrade so I downloaded Movie Maker
> >2 in an attempt to improve performance. However, system quit working
> >alltogether. Get message "video capture device not detected" when in movie
> >maker and "unable to open the specified device" when in Ulead.
> >
> > Used XP recovery but things still did not revert to previous performance.
> > Installed new card with no improvement. Reinstalled XP and things still
> > don't work.
> >
> > Yes, my camcorder is on. I have tried booting with and without it on.
> > Have uninstalled card and reinstalled. Tried new cable. Even turned off
> > networking capability of Firewire. No success. Problems seem very
> > similar to thread from George starting on June 9.
> >
> > Any ideas? At a minimum I would like to uninstall Movie Maker because
> > downloading MM2 is when things quit working completely. How do I do this?
> > XP says part of system and I don't see a way to undo. I may have two
> > versions of MM in conflict ... the one I downloaded and the one with XP
> > but can't be sure.

Spoke to soon. Today it is not working again. I cannot delete MM2. papajohns lists files but when you actually try to delete them it says "It is being used by another person or program. Close any program that might be using the file and try again". All I have open is Windows, so it seems I am stuck ....

Ideas?

"DV Novice" wrote:

> Thanks for the comment Cari.
>
> Yes, I had already tried a different cable.
>
> I saw the papajohn site and noticed my file sizes were a bit different than what he listed. Decided to first uninstall Ulead and FINALLY got past video capture error only to have a problem where "capturing profiles" were missing and could not get past file naming screen.
>
> Searched MM discussion and reinstalled MM2 with same new problem. Searched MM discussion and installed Media Player 9 with same new problem. Restarted my machine and things worked.
>
> This leaves me not exactly sure where the problem was/is but things are okay for now. I may try reinstalling ULEAD to see if problem repeats or is now gone. I also have to decide if I want to eliminate MM2 since it, with XP, started this problem in the first place.
>
> I can't believe how much time I burned up on this.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org will give details of how to uninstall
> > MM2 and revert to MM1... or even how to run both.
> >
> > Did you try a different IEEE1394 cable? Is the camcorder powered by A/C and
> > not be its internal battery?
> > --
> > Cari
> > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "DV Novice" <DVNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had a Pyro card working with Canon ZR20, then I upgraded my system to
> > >windows XP. The performance seemed to degrade so I downloaded Movie Maker
> > >2 in an attempt to improve performance. However, system quit working
> > >alltogether. Get message "video capture device not detected" when in movie
> > >maker and "unable to open the specified device" when in Ulead.
> > >
> > > Used XP recovery but things still did not revert to previous performance.
> > > Installed new card with no improvement. Reinstalled XP and things still
> > > don't work.
> > >
> > > Yes, my camcorder is on. I have tried booting with and without it on.
> > > Have uninstalled card and reinstalled. Tried new cable. Even turned off
> > > networking capability of Firewire. No success. Problems seem very
> > > similar to thread from George starting on June 9.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? At a minimum I would like to uninstall Movie Maker because
> > > downloading MM2 is when things quit working completely. How do I do this?
> > > XP says part of system and I don't see a way to undo. I may have two
> > > versions of MM in conflict ... the one I downloaded and the one with XP
> > > but can't be sure.

Spoke too soon, system not working today. Tried to uninstall/delete MM2 with no success. Only got message "It is being usined by another person or program. Close any program that might be usin the file and try again". The only other program open is Windows. Since I believe that MM is the problem I really want to take it off.

"DV Novice" wrote:

> Thanks for the comment Cari.
>
> Yes, I had already tried a different cable.
>
> I saw the papajohn site and noticed my file sizes were a bit different than what he listed. Decided to first uninstall Ulead and FINALLY got past video capture error only to have a problem where "capturing profiles" were missing and could not get past file naming screen.
>
> Searched MM discussion and reinstalled MM2 with same new problem. Searched MM discussion and installed Media Player 9 with same new problem. Restarted my machine and things worked.
>
> This leaves me not exactly sure where the problem was/is but things are okay for now. I may try reinstalling ULEAD to see if problem repeats or is now gone. I also have to decide if I want to eliminate MM2 since it, with XP, started this problem in the first place.
>
> I can't believe how much time I burned up on this.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > PapaJohn's website at www.papajohn.org will give details of how to uninstall
> > MM2 and revert to MM1... or even how to run both.
> >
> > Did you try a different IEEE1394 cable? Is the camcorder powered by A/C and
> > not be its internal battery?
> > --
> > Cari
> > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "DV Novice" <DVNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had a Pyro card working with Canon ZR20, then I upgraded my system to
> > >windows XP. The performance seemed to degrade so I downloaded Movie Maker
> > >2 in an attempt to improve performance. However, system quit working
> > >alltogether. Get message "video capture device not detected" when in movie
> > >maker and "unable to open the specified device" when in Ulead.
> > >
> > > Used XP recovery but things still did not revert to previous performance.
> > > Installed new card with no improvement. Reinstalled XP and things still
> > > don't work.
> > >
> > > Yes, my camcorder is on. I have tried booting with and without it on.
> > > Have uninstalled card and reinstalled. Tried new cable. Even turned off
> > > networking capability of Firewire. No success. Problems seem very
> > > similar to thread from George starting on June 9.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? At a minimum I would like to uninstall Movie Maker because
> > > downloading MM2 is when things quit working completely. How do I do this?
> > > XP says part of system and I don't see a way to undo. I may have two
> > > versions of MM in conflict ... the one I downloaded and the one with XP
> > > but can't be sure.

If you only had version 1 installed with your copy of XP, then a re-install
of XP will get you back to version 1.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP