I bought an IDE drive and put it into a USB enclosure. When I insert
the USB cable, Windows (I have XP) does not automatically assign it a
drive letter. It does come up in the system tray as USB Storage
Device. How can I:

1) Have Windows automatically assign a drive letter; or
2) Write a program to assign it myself

TIA!!

"RM" <robertwertheim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I bought an IDE drive and put it into a USB enclosure. When I insert
> the USB cable, Windows (I have XP) does not automatically assign it a
> drive letter. It does come up in the system tray as USB Storage
> Device. How can I:
>
> 1) Have Windows automatically assign a drive letter; or
> 2) Write a program to assign it myself
>
> TIA!!
A format might help if its a new disk
ted

RM wrote:

> I bought an IDE drive and put it into a USB enclosure. When I insert
> the USB cable, Windows (I have XP) does not automatically assign it a
> drive letter. It does come up in the system tray as USB Storage
> Device. How can I:
>
> 1) Have Windows automatically assign a drive letter; or
> 2) Write a program to assign it myself
>
> TIA!!

Go to disk management.

Odie