Hide drive?

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

I have two modern printers that both setup a usb drive device and letter
within explorer under XP SP2. Is there any way to hide these devices and
still have the printers function normally?

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Ted" <somewhere@home.com> wrote in message
>I have two modern printers that both setup a usb drive device and letter
>within explorer under XP SP2. Is there any way to hide these devices and
>still have the printers function normally?

Too hard a question?

No idea what printers, why they would do this, etc.

Ted wrote:
> I have two modern printers that both setup a usb drive device and
> letter within explorer under XP SP2. Is there any way to hide these
> devices and still have the printers function normally?

Do they have built in memory card readers (so that they can print photos
directly without the intervention of a PC)? Is so, they will be assigned
drive letters. In Device Manager you can remove them from the current
hardware profile...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Ted wrote:
>> I have two modern printers that both setup a usb drive device and
>> letter within explorer under XP SP2. Is there any way to hide these
>> devices and still have the printers function normally?
>
> Do they have built in memory card readers (so that they can print photos
> directly without the intervention of a PC)?

Yes.

>Is so, they will be assigned drive letters. In Device Manager you can
>remove them from the current
> hardware profile...

By remove them I presume you mean uninstal? If so wont that remove
functionality?. I seldom use the memory card reader in the printer's,
preferring to leave card in the camera and drag from there to PC, so I
haven't had reason to drag files from the drives the printer's set up, hence
why I want to hide them. But if i remove them totally will it disable the
printer's ability to print directly from card reader? Printers are Canon
MP730 and Epson R310

Ted wrote:
> "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Ted wrote:
>>> I have two modern printers that both setup a usb drive device and
>>> letter within explorer under XP SP2. Is there any way to hide these
>>> devices and still have the printers function normally?
>>
>> Do they have built in memory card readers (so that they can print
>> photos directly without the intervention of a PC)?
>
> Yes.
>

>> Is so, they will be assigned drive letters. In Device Manager you can
>> remove them from the current
>> hardware profile...
>
> By remove them I presume you mean uninstal? If so wont that remove
> functionality?. I seldom use the memory card reader in the printer's,
> preferring to leave card in the camera and drag from there to PC, so I
> haven't had reason to drag files from the drives the printer's set
> up, hence why I want to hide them. But if i remove them totally will
> it disable the printer's ability to print directly from card reader?
> Printers are Canon MP730 and Epson R310

No, not uninstalling, merely disabling...by removing the drive letters the
printer itself will be still fully functional for the printer itself is not
begin addressed by using the drive letters assigned to the card readers. You
are just disabling a Windows accessing method. Without intervention of a PC
(read Windows) you will still be able to print photos directly as this is
handled by the printer itself...

--

> No, not uninstalling, merely disabling...by removing the drive letters the
> printer itself will be still fully functional for the printer itself is
> not
> begin addressed by using the drive letters assigned to the card readers.
> You
> are just disabling a Windows accessing method. Without intervention of a
> PC
> (read Windows) you will still be able to print photos directly as this is
> handled by the printer itself...

Thanks.