Videos cause computer to freeze and go into safe mode

Whenever I try to open ANY type of video the computer freezes and goes into safe mode. I have tried re-installing windows and it doesn't help. Also, once in safe mode the video begins to play but it is of very low quality due to the fact that the computer is in safe mode. I am at my wits end and contemplating buying a new computer. Any help will greatly be appreciated!!!

Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about videos computer freeze safe mode

    First thing to try is downloading new drivers for your graphics card and
    installing them and then checking you have the latest version of DirectX.
    Since you don't tell us which graphics card you have in your PC I can't
    point you in the right direction of the manufacturer's website, but for
    DirectX, it's www.microsoft.com/directx
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "MikeP" <MikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I try to open ANY type of video the computer freezes and goes
    > into safe mode. I have tried re-installing windows and it doesn't help.
    > Also, once in safe mode the video begins to play but it is of very low
    > quality due to the fact that the computer is in safe mode. I am at my wits
    > end and contemplating buying a new computer. Any help will greatly be
    > appreciated!!!
    >
    > Mike

    I am having this exact same problem.
    Whenever I play any type of video format (avi, mpg, wmv,
    etc.) my computer freezes completely and I can only reboot.
    I have the most current version of directX and all of my
    Windows Updates are current. I also have the most current
    video card drivers I could find (Nvidia doesn't have the
    original TNT listed in their drivers download section).

    I also have the exact same problem when I try to run iTunes
    (I have the most current version and have had this problem
    before I installed iTunes)

    I've tried un/reinstalling windows, updating drivers to
    just about every component in my system, un/reinstalling
    the various media players, updating DirectX, etc. Nothing
    seems to fix the problem.

    I have the following:
    Windows XP Professional sp1
    NVIDIA Riva TNT, driver v. 2.9.5.8
    Intel P3 500mhz

    I know my video card is ancient and would be willing to
    pick up a newer one if I knew that it'd correct the problem.

    --Scott

Video Safe Mode Computers Windows XP