Half-Life 2 Expansion Announced!

PC Gamers rejoice!

Half-Life 2 is getting its first expansion. Valve Software has
confirmed that Half-Life 2: Aftermath is in the works, and will make
an official announcement with details on the game in the coming weeks.

According to an article on Eurogamer.net, Valve employees Robin Harper
and Marc Laidlaw spoke with PC Gamer UK about the forthcoming
Aftermath.

Apparently, Valve is working on the expansion rather than doling out
the development to another studio, like it did with Half-Life
expansions Blue Shift and Opposing Force, both developed by Gearbox
Software.

"Right now, we're really, really good at making Half-Life 2," Harper
admits.

The specifics of the game are still very unclear. It is known that
hero Gordon Freeman's sultry sidekick, Alyx, will play a large part in
the add-on, but in what context is anyone's guess. Whether she will be
a playable character, as previously rumored, is unknown.

The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of
Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its
impending destruction. "You and Alyx are leading the flight from the
city getting up close and personal with some of the creatures and
sights from the end of the game," says Laidlaw.

Valve failed to mention any release dates or game-specific information
in the interview.

Source: GameSpot again
6 answers Last reply
More about half life expansion announced

    Jones wrote:

    > The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of
    > Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its
    > impending destruction.

    Hmmm. Bit of a departure from the ending of HL2 (plus the 'tradition'
    from the HL expansions). I really didn't (dont) expect to see Freeman
    in the expansion

    ....except perhaps in the distance like Blueshift

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.

    "Jones" <me@somewhereelse.co.ok.com> wrote in message
    > PC Gamers rejoice!

    This was posted here on the 8th......
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.sufi,alt.surrealism,soc.culture.burma (More info?)

    From City 17 to Yangon

[...]

    You wake up to Yangon 2005...the rest is up to

    > Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of
    >> Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its
    >> impending destruction.
    >
    > Hmmm. Bit of a departure from the ending of HL2 (plus the 'tradition'
    > from the HL expansions). I really didn't (dont) expect to see Freeman in
    > the expansion
    >
    > ...except perhaps in the distance like Blueshift
    >

    > --
    > It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    > taming in one go.
    > You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    > taming, say, via banking...

    > > The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of
    > > Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its
    > > impending destruction.
    >
    > Hmmm. Bit of a departure from the ending of HL2 (plus the 'tradition'
    > from the HL expansions). I really didn't (dont) expect to see Freeman
    > in the expansion
    >
    > ...except perhaps in the distance like Blueshift

    I bought and finished HL2 a short time ago, and was HUGELY disappointed by
    the ending. It occurs to me that with the infamous theft of the code, assets
    originally devoted to finishing touches and testing had to be retasked to
    redevelop any parts of the game that might cause the user's PC to be
    compromised (virus, hacking via the online play protocol etc).

    If this is the case, it would explain why the game just stops mid-flow, with
    no big "end boss" or fanfare. They simply got to a stage where they could
    both end the game at a satisfactory point, and draw a line under it without
    further delaying the release. With this in mind, an expansion pack starring
    both Gordon and Alyx, and starting at the point that HL2 ended, suggests
    that this expansion pack would be the intended ending for HL2, possibly
    fleshed out a bit and/or appended to.

    G Hardy wrote:
    >>>The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of
    >>>Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its
    >>>impending destruction.
    >>
    >>Hmmm. Bit of a departure from the ending of HL2 (plus the 'tradition'
    >>from the HL expansions). I really didn't (dont) expect to see Freeman
    >>in the expansion
    >>
    >>...except perhaps in the distance like Blueshift
    >

    > I bought and finished HL2 a short time ago, and was HUGELY disappointed by
    > the ending. It occurs to me that with the infamous theft of the code, assets
    > originally devoted to finishing touches and testing had to be retasked to
    > redevelop any parts of the game that might cause the user's PC to be
    > compromised (virus, hacking via the online play protocol etc).
    >
    > If this is the case, it would explain why the game just stops mid-flow, with
    > no big "end boss" or fanfare. They simply got to a stage where they could
    > both end the game at a satisfactory point, and draw a line under it without
    > further delaying the release. With this in mind, an expansion pack starring
    > both Gordon and Alyx, and starting at the point that HL2 ended, suggests
    > that this expansion pack would be the intended ending for HL2, possibly
    > fleshed out a bit and/or appended to.

    Hadn't thought of it that way - mainly because I was half expecting that
    type of ending due to the similar ending in HL. There was of course a
    'big end-boss' in HL and I did note the lack of one in HL2 so... I would
    not disagree with your idea

    --

    >> I bought and finished HL2 a short time ago, and was HUGELY disappointed
    >> by
    >> the ending. It occurs to me that with the infamous theft of the code,
    >> assets
    >> originally devoted to finishing touches and testing had to be retasked to
    >> redevelop any parts of the game that might cause the user's PC to be
    >> compromised (virus, hacking via the online play protocol etc).
    >>
    >> If this is the case, it would explain why the game just stops mid-flow,
    >> with
    >> no big "end boss" or fanfare. They simply got to a stage where they could
    >> both end the game at a satisfactory point, and draw a line under it
    >> without
    >> further delaying the release. With this in mind, an expansion pack
    >> starring
    >> both Gordon and Alyx, and starting at the point that HL2 ended, suggests
    >> that this expansion pack would be the intended ending for HL2, possibly
    >> fleshed out a bit and/or appended to.
    >>

    > Hadn't thought of it that way - mainly because I was half expecting that
    > type of ending due to the similar ending in HL. There was of course a
    > 'big end-boss' in HL and I did note the lack of one in HL2 so... I would
    > not disagree with your idea

    Well I thought it was very-much the "big end boss" when I played it. Okay,
    maybe not a "boss" exactly, but certainly remember thinking "Okay... this is
    it!"

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495