Basic camera reviews?

Is there a site that has reviews of low-end digital cameras? I can
find plenty of price comparisons by googling, but it's hard to get an
idea of which under $200 (preferably under $150) gadgets would be tghe
best for my uses. I have a *very* basic camera and am getting tired of
its problem with white and poor focus. TIA.
5 answers Last reply
More about basic camera reviews

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:17:10 GMT, Frogleg <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Is there a site that has reviews of low-end digital cameras? I can
    >find plenty of price comparisons by googling, but it's hard to get an
    >idea of which under $200 (preferably under $150) gadgets would be tghe
    >best for my uses. I have a *very* basic camera and am getting tired of
    >its problem with white and poor focus. TIA.

    Sure Steves Digicams site has reviews organized by megapixels.
    So do other sites though some sites do tend to review low mid to
    higher end consumer cameras.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/MEGAPIXEL.HTM

    A lot of people will probably say the Canons. They are starting to
    drop now the latest models so you might be able to get one slightly
    over 150 with some manual controls and maybe 3 megs.

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:52:33 GMT, "John@Smith.com"
    <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:17:10 GMT, Frogleg <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a site that has reviews of low-end digital cameras? I can
    >>find plenty of price comparisons by googling, but it's hard to get an
    >>idea of which under $200 (preferably under $150) gadgets
    >
    >Sure Steves Digicams site has reviews organized by megapixels.

    >http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >http://www.imaging-resource.com/MEGAPIXEL.HTM
    >
    >A lot of people will probably say the Canons. They are starting to
    >drop now the latest models so you might be able to get one slightly
    >over 150 with some manual controls and maybe 3 megs.

    Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. "Entry level" is fine -- I'm
    just snapping for a couple of websites and taking pictures of the cat
    and the neighbors' flowers. Canon A60 looks good. Are there any real
    dogs to be avoided? I mean, within the generally known brand names?

    Even with its failings, I *love* my digital camera. I'd always been
    one of those types who has a single roll of film in a camera for 3
    years, and then when it was finally finished and processed, had 6
    pictures of my feet, and 4 that were blank. Now I can snap 30 pics for
    one decent shot and go back for more.

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:13:56 GMT, Frogleg <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:52:33 GMT, "John@Smith.com"
    ><xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:17:10 GMT, Frogleg <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a site that has reviews of low-end digital cameras? I can
    >>>find plenty of price comparisons by googling, but it's hard to get an
    >>>idea of which under $200 (preferably under $150) gadgets
    >>
    >>Sure Steves Digicams site has reviews organized by megapixels.
    >
    >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >>http://www.imaging-resource.com/MEGAPIXEL.HTM
    >>
    >>A lot of people will probably say the Canons. They are starting to
    >>drop now the latest models so you might be able to get one slightly
    >>over 150 with some manual controls and maybe 3 megs.
    >
    >Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. "Entry level" is fine -- I'm
    >just snapping for a couple of websites and taking pictures of the cat
    >and the neighbors' flowers. Canon A60 looks good. Are there any real
    >dogs to be avoided? I mean, within the generally known brand names?

    Some people like to stick with the camera names and Sony - you know
    Oly, Fuji , Nikon etc.

    Some people at one site said they bought the drastically discounted
    A205 Fuji 2 meg with optical zoom I think and found it a bit too basic
    but then they owned more upscale cameras too. That was selling at Off
    Depot for 99 and you could find a 20 off 100 coupon online at several
    sites.

    Fuji has some newer cameras in the low range.
    The Fuji is also a bit bulky for a small soapbar type camera.

    Also if you choose a camera with a XD card those are much more
    expensive than compact flash and even SD cards nowadays. I bought a
    camera that used SD a while back and was annoyed at how expensive they
    were compared to other cards but then theyve dropped like crazy
    recently - and there were rebate /discount deals that were incredible
    on SD and compact etc the last few months. In contrast now XD cards
    are grossly priced which I have to use now on my OLY !

    As a caveat - though canons are widely praised everywhere , there are
    some consumer gripes from some posters at some sites about reliablity
    - the E18 error etc.

    The Oly 560 3 meg soapbar type camera with 3x optical which probably
    doesnt have as many manual controls as the Canon - is being discounted
    since they have the 565 i think or some other newer model out now. Ive
    seen it on sale the last few months and I think it was 149 this week
    somewhere. It does use XD cards though.

    Youll have to get some rechargeable batteries, a charger and some XD
    cards and a case.

    On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:16:59 GMT, "John@Smith.com"
    <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:13:56 GMT, Frogleg <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:52:33 GMT, "John@Smith.com"
    >><xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >>>http://www.imaging-resource.com/MEGAPIXEL.HTM
    >>>
    >>>A lot of people will probably say the Canons. They are starting to
    >>>drop now the latest models so you might be able to get one slightly
    >>>over 150 with some manual controls and maybe 3 megs.
    >>
    >>Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. "Entry level" is fine --

    >Some people like to stick with the camera names and Sony - you know
    >Oly, Fuji , Nikon etc.

    <snip some interesting specifics>

    Thanks again. I've been eBay-ing for a Canon A60, but got caught up in
    a Minolta X20. We'll see how it goes. The review sites helped a lot.

    I see that cameras are like computers -- every 6 months, the
    functionality goes up and the price goes down. If I wait long enough,
    they'll be giving them away in cereal boxes! But I want some better
    pictures now.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Frogleg <frogleg@nowhere.com> wrotenews:s9ang0drr8trfnraggu83ta081tputa9pm@
    4ax.com:

    > Is there a site that has reviews of low-end digital cameras? I can
    > find plenty of price comparisons by googling, but it's hard to get an
    > idea of which under $200 (preferably under $150) gadgets would be tghe
    > best for my uses. I have a *very* basic camera and am getting tired of
    > its problem with white and poor focus. TIA.

    Be very carefull...most "review" site out there are nothing but spam send-
    you-to-expensive-hell camera links.

    Review seems to be a popular search word, so of course all the theives,
    crooks spammers et al have inserted that into their links and made their
    front page look sort of like a review, but it's not.

    Beware.

    --
    ---Mapanari---

Cameras Reviews Basic Peripherals