Single SATA drive bios problems

Jennifer

> I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive
> and a CD/DVD ROM drive, on a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
> mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. I'm still having severe problems
booting up.
It says in the manual under Question 11 to set the first boot device to SCSI
but this option doesn't seem to exist.
Sometimes it freezes around 'Detecting IDE drives'. Sometimes after
Verifying Dim Pool data it says it cannot read from the drive.
However if I Cntrl-alt-delete it nearly always starts OK the second time.
Any ideas?
Greg Chapman

Jennifer wrote:

>> I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive
> > and a CD/DVD ROM drive, on a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
> > mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. I'm still having severe problems
> booting up.
> It says in the manual under Question 11 to set the first boot device to
> SCSI but this option doesn't seem to exist.
> Sometimes it freezes around 'Detecting IDE drives'. Sometimes after
> Verifying Dim Pool data it says it cannot read from the drive.
> However if I Cntrl-alt-delete it nearly always starts OK the second time.
> Any ideas?
> Greg Chapman

Have you flashed the latest BIOS? I notice on the Gigabyte Web site that
version F4 (dated 2004/8/5) and later "Fix BOOT sequence error after
plugged some SATA HDD on silicon image", which might be what you're
seeing--I wish they'd give a bit more detail on the problem. The most
recent version is F8.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jennifer

Yes that does sound exactly like the problem but I am up to F8!
Greg

Jennifer wrote:

> Yes that does sound exactly like the problem but I am up to F8!

Just for hohos try flashing the F4--it's conceivable that they unfixed it.

What choices does it give you for the boot drive--you said "SCSI" doesn't
show up so presumably they've changed it to something else in the BIOS but
not updated the manual.

> Greg
>
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> booting up.
>>> It says in the manual under Question 11 to set the first boot device to
>>> SCSI but this option doesn't seem to exist.
>>> Sometimes it freezes around 'Detecting IDE drives'. Sometimes after
>>> Verifying Dim Pool data it says it cannot read from the drive.
>>> However if I Cntrl-alt-delete it nearly always starts OK the second
>>> time. Any ideas?
>>> Greg Chapman
>>
>> Have you flashed the latest BIOS? I notice on the Gigabyte Web site that
>> version F4 (dated 2004/8/5) and later "Fix BOOT sequence error after
>> plugged some SATA HDD on silicon image", which might be what you're
>> seeing--I wish they'd give a bit more detail on the problem. The most
>> recent version is F8.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jennifer" <jennyfrench@freeuk.com> wrote in message
|> I've just built a machine using a single SATA drive
| > and a CD/DVD ROM drive, on a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
| > mobo with an Athlon 64 3000 chip. I'm still having severe problems
| booting up.
| It says in the manual under Question 11 to set the first boot device to
SCSI
| but this option doesn't seem to exist.
| Sometimes it freezes around 'Detecting IDE drives'. Sometimes after
| Verifying Dim Pool data it says it cannot read from the drive.
| However if I Cntrl-alt-delete it nearly always starts OK the second
time.
| Any ideas?
| Greg Chapman

on chip SATA enable

first = floppy
second = cdrom
third = hard disk

I finally worked it out - I'd plugged the SATA lead in the wrong socket.
There are two pairs of sockets, controlled by different parts of the mb.
I can't believe there was no info either in the manual, or on the Gigabyte
website, about this!? It boots up fine now.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Greg Chapman