Maxtor Error Codes

dick

After running the Maxtor diagnostics on my 6Y120P0 drive, and it
reporting a failure, I have another drive on the way from Maxtor to
replace it. The Maxtor site leads one to believe that the error codes
are a secret. Does anyone know what de66a271 error code means?

Previously Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
> After running the Maxtor diagnostics on my 6Y120P0 drive, and it
> reporting a failure, I have another drive on the way from Maxtor to
> replace it. The Maxtor site leads one to believe that the error codes
> are a secret. Does anyone know what de66a271 error code means?

I am not quite sure, but I think I have gotten different codes
on different drives for the same failure. I assume it is some
kind encryption keyed to the drive serial number. The rationale
could be that otherwise customers could claim an error code
from another drive to get an RMA number.

However this is pure speculation.

Arno

dick

On 7 Nov 2004 02:12:18 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Previously Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>> After running the Maxtor diagnostics on my 6Y120P0 drive, and it
>> reporting a failure, I have another drive on the way from Maxtor to
>> replace it. The Maxtor site leads one to believe that the error codes
>> are a secret. Does anyone know what de66a271 error code means?
>
>I am not quite sure, but I think I have gotten different codes
>on different drives for the same failure. I assume it is some
>kind encryption keyed to the drive serial number. The rationale
>could be that otherwise customers could claim an error code
>from another drive to get an RMA number.
>
>However this is pure speculation.
>
>Arno

You are probably right. I also considered the possibility that Maxtor
may not want people to know what is causing their drives to fail so
they don't get into a public relations nightmare like the infamous IBM
drive. I had one. Still do actually.