Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 7, 2004 8:47:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I have an old computer with 96 AmiBIOS. Now I found a Seagate Barracuda
disk (ST340015A ATA100) to give some more life for the old machine.
However the BIOS does not recognise the disk that gives some nasty noise.
Is this just due to the old simple ATA cable or do I have to buy some new
controller for the disk?

More about : ata100 compatibility

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 7, 2004 8:47:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <cmljgb$rf7$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Crux says...
> I have an old computer with 96 AmiBIOS. Now I found a Seagate Barracuda
> disk (ST340015A ATA100) to give some more life for the old machine.
> However the BIOS does not recognise the disk that gives some nasty noise.
> Is this just due to the old simple ATA cable or do I have to buy some new
> controller for the disk?

Its more likely that the BIOS doesn't recognise it. You could go to
www.wimsbios.com and see if you can find another but a better solution
would be to buy one of the many Promise IDE controllers listed on E-Bay

--
Conor
conor.turton@gmail.com

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
November 7, 2004 10:16:08 PM

Crux wrote:
> I have an old computer with 96 AmiBIOS. Now I found a Seagate Barracuda
> disk (ST340015A ATA100) to give some more life for the old machine.
> However the BIOS does not recognise the disk that gives some nasty noise.
> Is this just due to the old simple ATA cable or do I have to buy some new
> controller for the disk?

If it's making "nasty noise" it has probably expired.

a b G Storage
November 8, 2004 3:13:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

It sims to me that HD is dead. Try to format it first?!

Boba Vancouver BC

"CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Crux wrote:
>> I have an old computer with 96 AmiBIOS. Now I found a Seagate Barracuda
>> disk (ST340015A ATA100) to give some more life for the old machine.
>> However the BIOS does not recognise the disk that gives some nasty noise.
>> Is this just due to the old simple ATA cable or do I have to buy some new
>> controller for the disk?
>>

> If it's making "nasty noise" it has probably expired.
>
> --
> The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
> minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 8, 2004 11:14:28 PM

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:30:36 +0000, Conor Turton wrote:

> In article <cmljgb$rf7$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Crux says...
>> I have an old computer with 96 AmiBIOS. Now I found a Seagate Barracuda
>> disk (ST340015A ATA100) to give some more life for the old machine.
>> However the BIOS does not recognise the disk that gives some nasty noise.
>> Is this just due to the old simple ATA cable or do I have to buy some new
>> controller for the disk?
>>
> Its more likely that the BIOS doesn't recognise it. You could go to
> www.wimsbios.com and see if you can find another but a better solution
> would be to buy one of the many Promise IDE controllers listed on E-Bay

The disk is from a usually reliable source and been formatted to NTFS
lately. My MSI MS-6120 -board has a bios flash (2.0) that should support
>40GB disks. However neither BIOS, Win2K or Linux see the disk - I wonder
if new controller would make difference?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 8, 2004 11:18:07 PM

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:16:08 +0000, CJT wrote:

> Crux wrote:
>> I have an old computer with 96 AmiBIOS. Now I found a Seagate Barracuda
>> disk (ST340015A ATA100) to give some more life for the old machine.
>> However the BIOS does not recognise the disk that gives some nasty noise.
>> Is this just due to the old simple ATA cable or do I have to buy some new
>> controller for the disk?
>>

> If it's making "nasty noise" it has probably expired.

Actually the noise is from a lot of head movement when master - it is
silent when slave.