Compaq

G

Ok, there is already a couple Compaq threads going on, and I decided that I would start my own :) Here is my story, just the facts first:

1) January '99 my gf bought a computer.
2) January '99 the power supply fails, two weeks later it is finally replaced with a rocking 165 watt one.
3) August '00, unable to get into bios to disable power on password.
4) September '00, the thing finally craps out, from what I can figure out something on the motherboard went bad (saying that it held the soundcard, modem, NIC, video, ide controllers, the kitchen sink) something was bound to go out.
5. I call Compaq, her warranty has experied in July. They offer no tech support, but will for $$. I laugh and click off the phone.
6. Early October '00 I salvage what I can (hard drive, CD-ROM, monitor, keyboard, mouse, RAM, floppy) and build a new computer. I am unable to use the case because they decided to use AT when ATX was the standard. Oh well, two tears.
7. Novemeber '00 her monitor is slowly dying (she refuses to buy a new one...I don't know how she can stand it with the screwy refreshing and wacked out gamma).
8. Late November '00, her hard drive fails (it was a great 4400 RPM (I think) Quantum Bigfoot TX, the thing was 5 1/4", now when was the last time you saw a 5 1/4" hard drive???
9. March '01 Her floppy drive has never worked right, replaced with a pullout from an old computer.

Facts done... now my opinion.
Compaq does build a decent machine for a cheap price if you NEVER want to upgrade ANYTHING. Your machine is good while it is under warranty.

Ok, that is enough of me being nice...it seems WAY to convenient that suddenly after the warranty expires components start to fail. Hmmm...what a coincidence! It just seems way too convenient to sell replacement parts when you computer fails, after all all the components are conviently labeled "REPLACE WITH COMPAQ PART XXXXX". Now that is forward thinking!

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Which model does she have? The only part inside the computer that may actually be made by Compaq is the mother board all of the other components are made by different companies. Also, it was your decision to not purchase an extended warranty, like all mechanical devices there is a possibility of failure at some point. Also, did you try to degauss the monitor??? Did she have a surge protector? Did you hit F10 to get into the BIOS??? Compaq hasn't used the bigfoot for at least 2 years...Maybe the system you had was hard to upgrade but the newer systems are easily upgradeable.

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok hows this one. I owned a 1270 Presario laptop for 3 months. In that time the screen was replaced once, the battery and external power pack twice, and the internal voltage regulator once. My laptop was inservice for almost a month straight. The problem was that the battery would lose up to 30% of its battery in less then 12 hours with it turned off. It could be fully charged, plugged into the wall, and shut off. Unplug the external power and let the unit sit for 6-7 hours. In that time it would lose up to 30% of its battery. This was a Lithium-ion battery too so memory was not an issue. They were going to replace the motherboard too, but I worked for best buy at the time and talked to my GM. He let me exchange it. So thats why I do not like Compaq, my first, only, and last system from them. Another nice one, my friend has a compaq tower. Has an Ultra 66 port on its motherboard, a Ultra 66 harddrive, but a ultra 33 cable. This make any sense to anybody? Also Ultra 66 support was disabled in BIOS.

A wise man once said, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one time a cdrom on my old compaq died so I called them and asked for a new one. They said 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I called again. THey said 5 days. 5 days later they said backordered be there in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later they said two days. Two days later I received four cdroms. I sent the broken one back. We finally killed the last of the four last year. RIP

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

G

This is great to see this forum filling up with anti-Compaq. Hopefully, people will see this and learn a bit more before they go out and spend their money on junk!

Small List of Proprietary Parts in current Compaq Machines:
-case
-power supply
-floppy drive
-motherboard
-USB connections (some models)
-power button (!)

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
floppy drives???? uh no....
power supply???? uh no....
motherboard????? bios only.... but many computer manufacturers use there own....
usb connections??? uh no.....
power button???? uh no....
I suggest readin up or cracking open a computer before you just start slamming....

G

Once again a genuine complaint by a person against Compaq, and who’s the first to post…you guessed it – A Compaq Employee paid to lurk around the message boards ZaNtHeR. Instead of lurking on these chat boards for Compaq, wouldn’t the time be better spent getting back to designing a computer that doesn’t suck???

Ps. By the way ZaNtHeR have you updated you Bio to reflect that you are paid employee of Compaq here to quash objections to your product?? No? Well you better hop to to <cheesy grin>

Lawson the very vigilant Compaq PR stalker :)

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Lawson I just want everyone to get their facts straight. Obviously, most people that bash have no clue about computers or Compaq.

G

Dude, how about YOU open up a computer before you start defending what it's got in it!
I owned a recent model Presario (5827) until recently when I raided it for parts that were still somewhat useful to other people.
Floppy drive?? Designed to fit in that case, and ONLY that case.
Powersupply??? Same thing! The fan is on the opposite side of that which is on STANDARD ATX power supply.
Motherboard?? Weird screw hole placement - would not fit properly in other cases. Plus, nothing is labeled.
USB connections?? Came on a stupid little cord that doesn't give us any CLUE how to hook it up to a different Mobo.
Power button?? The power button was on a stupid little board which included the power and IDE leds. The wires coming from this POS are near impossible to decipher, rendering the case useless if you want to put Non-Compaq mobo in it!!
I know you feel you have to defend who you work for, but it doesn't matter - just say, yeah I work for a company that sells garbage, but they pay my bills for now. End of story!

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Sounds like you are an ignorant person for not knowing what you were buying... You bought it, not me....No one with a clue would have purchased such a low end model!!!
Here are the specs...
MODEL
COMPAQ PRESARIO 5827
Standard Features
Dimensions & Weights (H x W x D) • Unit: 19" x 8.38" x 20.9" (31 lbs.)
• Package: 24" x 14.95" x 23.6" (41 lbs.)
Processor • Intel® Celeron TM processor – 500 MHz

System Bus • 66 MHz system bus
System Memory • 96 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, shared memory architecture, two total DIMM slots upgradable to 256 MB – 8 MB dedicated for video memory (SyncDRAM DIMM required)
Hard Drive • 17.0 GB 1 UltraDMA hard drive
Modem • 56K ITU V.90 modem 4
Cache • 128KB integrated L2 Pipeline Burst Cache
CD-ROM Drive • 32X Max CD-ROM Drive 2
CD-RW Drive 3 Maximize your PC with the ultimate multifunction CD recorder.
• Use CD-R and CD-RW media for recording or rewriting capability
• Store up to 650 MB of data or up to 74 minutes of music
• 24X Max reading and 4X Max recording for creating CDs with maximum performance and flexibility
• Create CD-ROM discs quickly and easily with just!burn® software

G

For the record, smart ass, it was given to me OVER A YEAR AGO when the company I worked for bought some new work stations. What do the specs have to do with anything?

No wonder Compaq has to put such cheap components in their systems, when they are paying their employees (read: YOU!) to surf message boards all day!

G

Cheers @ kvizbar
Go get'em mate!

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
What does the specs have to do with buying a computer... UH!!! Let me think about that one....hmmmm.... EVERYTHING!!!

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Also, all floppy drives are standard 3.5 in.... so dunno what kind of case you were putting it into but doessn't sound like a standard ATX case....and why would you want to use that mobo... 66 mhz bus??? geez....Celeron chip...onboard audio and video...man I wouldn't use it if you gave it to me....

G

ZaNtHeR=MoRoN

HA HA!
This is this only kind of reply you deserve!

G

**Lawson hands ZaNtHeR a shovel to dig his grave a little deeper**

Maw haw haw haw haw

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Griz,

Your intelligence astounds me... I didn't know a slug had that kind of ability to name call....

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Shame on you !
You´re not attending your family reunions!

If you did , you would know a lot of them!

P.S : I think i speak for 99.99% of the people in this
foruns ,when i say we are sick and tired of you defending
that BIG piece of crap that is COMPAQ!

So GET OVER IT!

Damn! No fun being limited to only 100 char signatures !!

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
hey chump kaos... learn how to spell before you try to speak for all apes...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah! Compaq rocks because people who don't use Compaq make spelling mistakes every once in a while! You tell him, Zanther :)

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>