Sign in with
Your question

Windows Server 2008, Hyper V virtualization for small business

Last response: in Business Computing
March 30, 2011 4:40:07 AM

Hello everyone,

Some questions on the viability of something I"m trying to implement for my dad's small office.

Situation:

-About a dozen employees who would use laptops as primary work machines
-Data security is #1 priority

Currently the data backup is done utilizing a Synology DS410. Data Replicator 3 is installed on all machines with a scheduled backup programed for sometime early in the morning. Problem is that the employees will take their laptops home and miss the scheduled backup. This is bad news for us because if something happens to the laptop, some changes may not have been backup up due to the laptop not being always connected to the office's network.

Initially I had the idea of moving them all to desktops. Problems with this is that they wouldn't be able to access it remotely and the cost of buying each desktop. Problem #1 could be solved by setting up remote desktop for each workstation, which has worked for my dad. He uses a very stripped down but nice laptop and remote desktops into his office computer when needing to access the office network. This solution also seems more expensive as I don't believe each user needs the horsepower of their own machine. In comes Windows Server 2008 with Hyper V virtualization.

My idea is to build a nice server with dual quad core cpus and around 30-40 gigs of ram, purchase and install Windows 7 Professional as virtual machines for each employee, and set up remote desktop for each virtual machine instance.

I'm new to Windows Server and virtualization. The idea is to have all these virtual machines running their work environment in which they can log on to with their current laptops after I give them a fresh install of Windows.

I guess I"m just wondering on if this makes sense for a smaller office environment and the specific steps on how to set it up so that all the employee needs to do is open a remote desktop connection and log into their own virtual machine.
!