How to delete a NTFL Partition

G

I want to delete a Win2k advance server OS to replace it with Win98SE OS, so I've been trying to delete the NTFL partition. I've used a Win98 boot disk, DOS boot disk but after I delete the partition and reboot the PC the Win2k Advance server NTFL partition is still there.
is there a specific way to do this?

Nobody Knows Everything

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Win98 cannot remove a NTFS partition. Your going to have to reboot off of the Win2k server disk and remove the partitions with that. Or you can go here <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com/" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com/</A>

Scroll down to the partitioning section and check out some of the utilities.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've managed to erase a NTFS partition once with Fdisk. More often that not, I boot the win2k disk, and delete the partition inside the install program.

If you use a boot loader, you can avoid this problem entirely.

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Use the freeware tool delpart.exe. Kills NTFS like a champ.

(Although it may LOOK like FDISK can delete NTFS partitions, it is actually still there.)

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"

G

Repartiion the whole drive with Fdisk and use Fdisk /MBR to get rid of the boot record.

It works trust me, you just need ot delete every partition on the drive and the master boot record....

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In Fdisk NTFS partitions are under the NON-DOS delete option, delete it there and then do like someone else already said and fdisk /mbr after that. That will clean NTFS off, trust me I did it when I went back to Win98SE after running win2k Pro.

<b>Geforce3, its better then sex!!!!!</b> Well maybe not that good... :wink:

TRENDING THREADS