Ghost to external USB hard drive success?

Si

Hi,

I have USB 1.1 on my system board and USB 2.0 via a Belkin PCI card...

I've had it in mind to get an external HDD for backup for some time...and
wonder whether Ghost (Norton say it will) will successfully backup and
restore to/from an external HDD.

Ignoring Norton's assertions, I'm looking for real end user reports.

PLEASE DO NOT recommend an extra internal drive - this is not something that
I am considering.

Cheers,

Si.

Si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have USB 1.1 on my system board and USB 2.0 via a Belkin PCI card...
>
> I've had it in mind to get an external HDD for backup for some time...and
> wonder whether Ghost (Norton say it will) will successfully backup and
> restore to/from an external HDD.
>
> Ignoring Norton's assertions, I'm looking for real end user reports.

I have successfully used Ghost to back up to an external USB hard drive.
Using my GA-DXR+'s onboard USB 2.0 interface.

-WD

Si

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Si wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have USB 1.1 on my system board and USB 2.0 via a Belkin PCI card...
>>
>> I've had it in mind to get an external HDD for backup for some time...and
>> wonder whether Ghost (Norton say it will) will successfully backup and
>> restore to/from an external HDD.
>>
>> Ignoring Norton's assertions, I'm looking for real end user reports.
>
> I have successfully used Ghost to back up to an external USB hard drive.
> Using my GA-DXR+'s onboard USB 2.0 interface.
>

> -WD

And restored from that drive?

Si.

Si wrote:
> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>I have successfully used Ghost to back up to an external USB hard drive.
>>Using my GA-DXR+'s onboard USB 2.0 interface.
>>

> And restored from that drive?

Yes.

> Si wrote:
> > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >

> >>I have successfully used Ghost to back up to an external USB hard drive.
> >>Using my GA-DXR+'s onboard USB 2.0 interface.

I'm using Drive Image (now at the heart of Ghost) to backup to an external
drive. Works very well.

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > Si wrote:
> > > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> I'm using Drive Image (now at the heart of Ghost) to backup to an external
> drive. Works very well.

I forgot to mention that...

I set it up to split the image into 600M chunks so that if I did have a
problem with doing the restore I could use another PC to copy the image to
CDR or DVD and restore from there.