Returning HD to Maxtor - How To Prepare?

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 8, 2004 2:06:43 PM

I have a failing drive from Maxtor that will be returned when I
receive the warranty replacement. There is a lot of confidential data
on this drive. What is the best way to clear the data? A low-level
format? It would be just my luck for the low-level format to fix
whatever the problem is so Maxtor would tell me there was no failure
found, and charge me for the replacement drive. Would they do that?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 9, 2004 7:22:58 AM

Previously Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
> I have a failing drive from Maxtor that will be returned when I
> receive the warranty replacement. There is a lot of confidential data
> on this drive. What is the best way to clear the data? A low-level
> format? It would be just my luck for the low-level format to fix
> whatever the problem is so Maxtor would tell me there was no failure
> found, and charge me for the replacement drive. Would they do that?

I once had this situation. However I had an Error code form
PowerMax before and had the corresponding failure in the
SMART error-log. Maxtor replaced the drive without complaints.

If PowerMax told you at one time that the drive is defective and
should be replaced, that seems to be good enough.

Arno
a b G Storage
November 9, 2004 6:02:37 PM

As far as wiping confidential data goes, I'd say using a low-level
formatting tool is a good idea. I have them for Seagate and Fujitsu
drives, so I presume Maxtor will have one for download on their
website somewhere, probably in their downloads or support section.

Be aware it can take a while to complete a low level format depending
on your PC - took me nearly 24hours to wipe a 160GB drive on a 1.1GHz
PC.
I think it writes data to the entire drive, rendering it 'as new' as
it were.

If you don't use an LLF tool, at least use something like BCWipe to
destroy all your data - you can do it several times, depending on your
paranoia level :)
I'm sure you know that a plain old 'format C:/' doesn't actually
destroy data, merely flagging it 'deleted'.
!