Optimum performance

System : AMD Athlon1.4Ghz / 512mb Ram / WinXP Home / (Maxtor SATA 6Y080L0,
80 GB HDD) / (LITE-ON, DVDRW SOHW-1633s (DL) / (Samsung CD-R/RW SW-216B) /

Hi

I have just purchased a Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9, SATA 250 GB HDD, and I
would like to format my original HDD and Use both HDD drives on a single
user PC with WinXP Pro + SP2 installed as the O/S. I have read a lot of
conflicting advice and it left me bewildered untill somebody told me the
best advice would come from this NG.
As the subject of the mail implies I'd like to know what's the best way to
set-up for optimum performance in your opinion.

(This was one post I recieved from WinXP help and support NG)

"80Gb as Master on Primary IDE controller
250Gb as Master on Secondary IDE controller
CD or DVD reader as Slave Primary IDE controller
CD or DVD Burner as Slave on Secondary IDE controller

Keep all the applications and windows on the C Drive and all your
personal
files [My Documents] on the D Drive.
After you initialise the new 250Gb drive; right click on the 'My
Documents'
folder and choose to 'Move' the folder to your D Drive.
When 'burning' CD or DVDs makle sure that the burning application is
set to
Copy the Material onto a temporary file/folder on the C Drive."

I don't know if this *is* the optimum, but I've just used it as a reference.
Advice or walkthrough in newbie'ish terms would be greatfully appreciated
:)

TIA
--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Anyone?