converting to .vob, .bup and .iso files

June 29, 2004 3:51:02 PM

Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
I appriciate the answer.
Mar
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:57:54 AM

save the movie as a dv-avi file from movie maker. Then use whichever dvd
authoring app came with your dvd writer to convert it to a dvd format,
generally you just tell it to do it and it does in the lower end market, the
more expensive ones will allow choce of bitrates etc.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film
with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> I appriciate the answer.
> Mar
June 30, 2004 8:24:01 AM

Hello Graham,
I saved it as a dv-avi file and it became a 18,9 GB file for just one and a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you please tell me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.
Many thanks,
Mar

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> save the movie as a dv-avi file from movie maker. Then use whichever dvd
> authoring app came with your dvd writer to convert it to a dvd format,
> generally you just tell it to do it and it does in the lower end market, the
> more expensive ones will allow choce of bitrates etc.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film
> with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> > I appriciate the answer.
> > Mar

Related resources
June 30, 2004 4:43:03 PM

Hello again,
It didn't work because nero is asking for .vob, .bup and .iso files. If I try to make a video cd it's to big also, 125mb to big. So I really don't know what to do anymore. Do you? Please HELP.
Mar

"mar" wrote:

> Hello Graham,
> I saved it as a dv-avi file and it became a 18,9 GB file for just one and a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you please tell me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.
> Many thanks,
> Mar
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
>
> > save the movie as a dv-avi file from movie maker. Then use whichever dvd
> > authoring app came with your dvd writer to convert it to a dvd format,
> > generally you just tell it to do it and it does in the lower end market, the
> > more expensive ones will allow choce of bitrates etc.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film
> > with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> > > I appriciate the answer.
> > > Mar

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 5:37:50 PM

Mar,

That's right for an hour and half . Dv-avi's are 13gb per hour. Nero will
compress it to fit on the dvd for you, as it converts the dv-avi file to a
mpeg2 one. I don't use nero, but I should imagine there is a wizard which
will guide you through. This size will result in some quality loss as you'd
really want max 1 hour to one dvd, so after doing it if you are not happy
with the quality split it in to 2 dv-avi files and make two dvd's.
You do not have to worry too much about making the compression using the
likes of nero as it does all the work for you.
I'm sorry it's a little vague, but it isn't that hard to do, so I hope you
are succesful.
Graham

--

> Hello Graham,
> I saved it as a dv-avi file and it became a 18,9 GB file for just one and
a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you please tell
me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.
> Many thanks,
> Mar
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
>
> > save the movie as a dv-avi file from movie maker. Then use whichever dvd
> > authoring app came with your dvd writer to convert it to a dvd format,
> > generally you just tell it to do it and it does in the lower end market,
the
> > more expensive ones will allow choce of bitrates etc.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a
film
> > with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> > > I appriciate the answer.
> > > Mar

June 30, 2004 5:37:51 PM

Hello Graham,
I will try to do so , I tried so many things so I can't remember anymore if I did this already. I vagely remember nero telling me that the file was to large to burn. I will try again. I hope I can contact you again if I didn't succeed.
Kind regards,
Mar.

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> Mar,
>
> That's right for an hour and half . Dv-avi's are 13gb per hour. Nero will
> compress it to fit on the dvd for you, as it converts the dv-avi file to a
> mpeg2 one. I don't use nero, but I should imagine there is a wizard which
> will guide you through. This size will result in some quality loss as you'd
> really want max 1 hour to one dvd, so after doing it if you are not happy
> with the quality split it in to 2 dv-avi files and make two dvd's.
> You do not have to worry too much about making the compression using the
> likes of nero as it does all the work for you.
> I'm sorry it's a little vague, but it isn't that hard to do, so I hope you
> are succesful.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
>
> "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Graham,
> > I saved it as a dv-avi file and it became a 18,9 GB file for just one and
> a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you please tell
> me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.
> > Many thanks,
> > Mar
> >
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
> >
> > > save the movie as a dv-avi file from movie maker. Then use whichever dvd
> > > authoring app came with your dvd writer to convert it to a dvd format,
> > > generally you just tell it to do it and it does in the lower end market,
> the
> > > more expensive ones will allow choce of bitrates etc.
> > > Graham
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> film
> > > with .vob, .bup and .iso files?

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:33:29 PM

Can you give the exact details of the steps you follow. Starting right at
the beginning with opening nero, and also give details of which nero version
it is. Don't worry we'll get you there.
Graham

--
> Hello again,
> It didn't work because nero is asking for .vob, .bup and .iso files. If I
try to make a video cd it's to big also, 125mb to big. So I really don't
know what to do anymore. Do you? Please HELP.
> Mar
>
> "mar" wrote:
>
> > Hello Graham,
> > I saved it as a dv-avi file and it became a 18,9 GB file for just one
and a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you please
tell me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.
> > Many thanks,
> > Mar
> >
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
> >
> > > save the movie as a dv-avi file from movie maker. Then use whichever
dvd
> > > authoring app came with your dvd writer to convert it to a dvd format,
> > > generally you just tell it to do it and it does in the lower end
market, the
> > > more expensive ones will allow choce of bitrates etc.
> > > Graham
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > with .vob, .bup and .iso files?

July 1, 2004 3:49:01 PM

Hello Graham,
My version of Nero Vision only contains making Video CD which I can't use because I have DVD disc's to burn. I wanted to use Nero Burnig ROM SE but that program is telling me that the film is to large (18,9 GB) and that he needs the .vob, .bup and .iso files, so that's why I've keep asking you how I cab convert .avi files into .vob, .bup and .iso files. If I start Nero Burning ROM SE you can choose to burn DVD and than you can choose between lot's of stuff, like UDF or ISO or both. If I want to use Nero Vision I have to buy something to use the option of burning DVD's with MPEG files. I already had installed a converting program called AIMONE Video Converter to change my .avi file into MPEG files but that doesn't work either because I have to buy something again. I'm getting a little crazy here.
Mar

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> Can you give the exact details of the steps you follow. Starting right at
> the beginning with opening nero, and also give details of which nero version
> it is. Don't worry we'll get you there.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello again,
> > It didn't work because nero is asking for .vob, .bup and .iso files. If I
> try to make a video cd it's to big also, 125mb to big. So I really don't
> know what to do anymore. Do you? Please HELP.
> > Mar
> >
> > "mar" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Graham,
> > > I saved it as a dv-avi file and it became a 18,9 GB file for just one
> and a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you please
> tell me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.
> > > Many thanks,
> > > Mar

> dvd
> market, the

> film

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 2:48:30 PM

Your options are varied. Either buy the update to nero to do it all there,
or buy other apps which will also do it. It maybe that you can find some
freeware on the net to convert the files, like tmpgenc, but you still need a
dvd authoring app to make the menus etc for navigation.
I'm afraid the tine is now to pay out some money :(

--
> Hello Graham,
> My version of Nero Vision only contains making Video CD which I can't use
because I have DVD disc's to burn. I wanted to use Nero Burnig ROM SE but
that program is telling me that the film is to large (18,9 GB) and that he
needs the .vob, .bup and .iso files, so that's why I've keep asking you how
I cab convert .avi files into .vob, .bup and .iso files. If I start Nero
Burning ROM SE you can choose to burn DVD and than you can choose between
lot's of stuff, like UDF or ISO or both. If I want to use Nero Vision I have
to buy something to use the option of burning DVD's with MPEG files. I
already had installed a converting program called AIMONE Video Converter to
change my .avi file into MPEG files but that doesn't work either because I
have to buy something again. I'm getting a little crazy here.
> Mar
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
>
> > Can you give the exact details of the steps you follow. Starting right
at
> > the beginning with opening nero, and also give details of which nero
version
> > it is. Don't worry we'll get you there.
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello again,
> > > It didn't work because nero is asking for .vob, .bup and .iso files.
If I
> > try to make a video cd it's to big also, 125mb to big. So I really don't
> > know what to do anymore. Do you? Please HELP.
> > > Mar

> > and a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you
please
> > tell me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.

> > dvd
> > market, the

> > film

July 6, 2004 5:13:01 PM

Hello Graham,
Thank you very much for all your help. I think I give up now. So thanks again.
Mar.

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> Your options are varied. Either buy the update to nero to do it all there,
> or buy other apps which will also do it. It maybe that you can find some
> freeware on the net to convert the files, like tmpgenc, but you still need a
> dvd authoring app to make the menus etc for navigation.
> I'm afraid the tine is now to pay out some money :(
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Graham,
> > My version of Nero Vision only contains making Video CD which I can't use
> because I have DVD disc's to burn. I wanted to use Nero Burnig ROM SE but
> that program is telling me that the film is to large (18,9 GB) and that he
> needs the .vob, .bup and .iso files, so that's why I've keep asking you how
> I cab convert .avi files into .vob, .bup and .iso files. If I start Nero
> Burning ROM SE you can choose to burn DVD and than you can choose between
> lot's of stuff, like UDF or ISO or both. If I want to use Nero Vision I have
> to buy something to use the option of burning DVD's with MPEG files. I
> already had installed a converting program called AIMONE Video Converter to
> change my .avi file into MPEG files but that doesn't work either because I
> have to buy something again. I'm getting a little crazy here.
> > Mar
> >
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
> >
> > > Can you give the exact details of the steps you follow. Starting right
> at
> > > the beginning with opening nero, and also give details of which nero
> version
> > > it is. Don't worry we'll get you there.
> > > Graham
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > "mar" <mar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I
> > > try to make a video cd it's to big also, 125mb to big. So I really don't
> > > know what to do anymore. Do you? Please HELP.

> one
> > > and a half hour film, so it will never burn on a 4,7 GB dvd. Can you
> please
> > > tell me (in simple words) what to do next. I have Nero 6 to burn dvd's.

> whichever
> > > dvd
> format,
> > > market, the

> into a
> > > film

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 6:08:01 PM

Mar, Did you ever figure this out? I downloaded the trial version as I understood from other remarks on here that it worked quite well. My file is 8.3gb for 38minutes in .avi format, and I'm getting the same problems. Like you, I've felt like I've tried just about everything, and just can't get there. I'm feel like I'm finally so close to getting this homemade movie off my computer, but just can't make that final jump... to a dvd for viewing! I'm interested in hearing what you've learned or how you resolved this.
Thx.

"mar" wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> I appriciate the answer.
> Mar
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:44:26 AM

You need a dvd authoring app, you import the dv-avi file in to it, make your
menus and get it too convert to the neccessary format for you.
Graham

"JLEWIS" <JLEWIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 6225008-5904-44C1-A377-454579F00E95@microsoft.com...
> Mar, Did you ever figure this out? I downloaded the trial version as I
understood from other remarks on here that it worked quite well. My file is
8.3gb for 38minutes in .avi format, and I'm getting the same problems. Like
you, I've felt like I've tried just about everything, and just can't get
there. I'm feel like I'm finally so close to getting this homemade movie
off my computer, but just can't make that final jump... to a dvd for
viewing! I'm interested in hearing what you've learned or how you resolved
this.
> Thx.
>
> "mar" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film
with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> > I appriciate the answer.
> > Mar
July 24, 2004 5:03:03 PM

Hi Jlewis,

I'm sorry to say but i still don't know the answer to this problem. I downloaded so many things to convert, shrink etc. etc. I'm getting very sick from it , so if anyone tells you the answer I'd be happy to hear from you.
Thanks,
Mar.

"JLEWIS" wrote:

> Mar, Did you ever figure this out? I downloaded the trial version as I understood from other remarks on here that it worked quite well. My file is 8.3gb for 38minutes in .avi format, and I'm getting the same problems. Like you, I've felt like I've tried just about everything, and just can't get there. I'm feel like I'm finally so close to getting this homemade movie off my computer, but just can't make that final jump... to a dvd for viewing! I'm interested in hearing what you've learned or how you resolved this.
> Thx.
>
> "mar" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me how to convert a windows movie maker film into a film with .vob, .bup and .iso files?
> > I appriciate the answer.
> > Mar
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 2:30:00 AM

You save the movie in movie maker as a dv-avi file.
Import this in to your dvd authoring app. Did one not come with your dvd
follow wizard to make dvd.

If you do not have a dvd authoring app, buy one. Check out
ulead/tmpgdvdauthor/dvdlabs/sonic/pinnacle/nero/roxio etc etc............

..vob files are the files in a dvd, an iso is just a hdd copy of these files.

Graham

!