DVD's viewed on TV, come out Black and White.

June 29, 2004 4:12:01 PM

I am using a computer which came from the States to view DVD movies in Germany, on a German TV. The result is a Black and White picture, no color.

I suspect the differences between Europran and US TV's may be the problem??

My operating system is Win XP, and I get the same result whether I play the DVD using "InterVideo WinDVD" or "Windows Media Player" (both of which came with the Windows System Disks). Everything is OK when viewing on the computer's monitor.

Any thoughts??

More about : dvd viewed black white

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:55:57 AM

B/W is normally the result of a ntsc signal through a pal tv or trying to
output a s-video signal to a non s-video appliance.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"B&W Bozo" <B&W Bozo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using a computer which came from the States to view DVD movies in
Germany, on a German TV. The result is a Black and White picture, no color.

> I suspect the differences between Europran and US TV's may be the
problem??

> My operating system is Win XP, and I get the same result whether I play
the DVD using "InterVideo WinDVD" or "Windows Media Player" (both of which
came with the Windows System Disks). Everything is OK when viewing on the
computer's monitor.

> Any thoughts??
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:55:58 AM

Graham;

Is there any way to solve or avoid this problem?? I really prefer my movies in color.

Thanks,

B&W Bozo

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> B/W is normally the result of a ntsc signal through a pal tv or trying to
> output a s-video signal to a non s-video appliance.
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "B&W Bozo" <B&W Bozo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am using a computer which came from the States to view DVD movies in
> Germany, on a German TV. The result is a Black and White picture, no color.
> >
> > I suspect the differences between Europran and US TV's may be the
> problem??
> >
> > My operating system is Win XP, and I get the same result whether I play
> the DVD using "InterVideo WinDVD" or "Windows Media Player" (both of which
> came with the Windows System Disks). Everything is OK when viewing on the
> computer's monitor.
> >
> > Any thoughts??

June 30, 2004 12:55:59 AM

Instead of connecting the PC to the TV through a composite cable (yellow)
use a composite to SCART or composite to S-Video (the SCART or S-Video goes
to the TV end).

Nearly all TVs sold in Europe since the early 1990s will accept an NTSC
signal when input through SCART or S-Video, and display it in color (well,
sort of color!!!) The TV cannot understand an NTSC signal when input
through composite cable.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

> Graham;
>
> Is there any way to solve or avoid this problem?? I really prefer my
> movies in color.
>
> Thanks,
>
> B&W Bozo
>
> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
>
>> B/W is normally the result of a ntsc signal through a pal tv or trying to
>> output a s-video signal to a non s-video appliance.
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP
>> www.simplydv.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> "B&W Bozo" <B&W Bozo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am using a computer which came from the States to view DVD movies in
>> Germany, on a German TV. The result is a Black and White picture, no
>> color.
>> >
>> > I suspect the differences between Europran and US TV's may be the
>> problem??
>> >
>> > My operating system is Win XP, and I get the same result whether I play
>> the DVD using "InterVideo WinDVD" or "Windows Media Player" (both of
>> which
>> came with the Windows System Disks). Everything is OK when viewing on
>> the
>> computer's monitor.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts??

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 3:41:01 PM

Hi Cari, Thanks for your interest in my problem.

I'm using an S-Video cable from the PC to the TV. At the TV end the S-Video cable plugs into a SCART adapter, then into the TV itself. The S-Video cable has 4 pins wheras the PC plug has seven. I've been told that this doesn't matter (??? What do you think). The TV has a pinout diagram for the SCART plug and I've checked the continuity through it, and it's OK.

My video card is a "S3 ProSavageDDR" (supplied by HP as original equipment in this machine).

The hardware description page says that the card supports NTSC and PAL, but I can't find a way to check the currrent setting nor change from one setting to the other.

DO YOU KNOW HOW TO SWITCH FROM NTSC TO PAL???

Thanks in advance, The Bozo (still in B&W)

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Instead of connecting the PC to the TV through a composite cable (yellow)
> use a composite to SCART or composite to S-Video (the SCART or S-Video goes
> to the TV end).
>
> Nearly all TVs sold in Europe since the early 1990s will accept an NTSC
> signal when input through SCART or S-Video, and display it in color (well,
> sort of color!!!) The TV cannot understand an NTSC signal when input
> through composite cable.
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "B&W Bozo" <BWBozo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Graham;
> >
> > Is there any way to solve or avoid this problem?? I really prefer my
> > movies in color.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > B&W Bozo
> >
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
> >
> >> B/W is normally the result of a ntsc signal through a pal tv or trying to
> >> output a s-video signal to a non s-video appliance.
> >> Graham
> >>
> >> --
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP
> >> www.simplydv.co.uk
> >> www.dvds2treasure.com
> >> "B&W Bozo" <B&W Bozo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Germany, on a German TV. The result is a Black and White picture, no
> >> color.

> >> problem??

> >> the DVD using "InterVideo WinDVD" or "Windows Media Player" (both of
> >> which
> >> came with the Windows System Disks). Everything is OK when viewing on
> >> the
> >> computer's monitor.

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 7:19:37 PM

Sounds like you may not have the latest drivers for the card. Have you
check if yours are the latest?

http://www.s3graphics.com/index.html
www.coribright.com

!