Closed

Cannot Play or Copy ".DAT" files in Windows XP in any player

Hi all
I have Windows XP installed on my machine..
I tried running VCD ".DAT' files using many players like
WMP 9, Xing player etc.. But it is not running.
When i try to Copy .DAT file to my machine from CD it
says "Invalid MS-DOS function".
Please sugest how to play ".DAT" files...
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot play copy files windows player

    What happens in Windows Media Player when you use File, Open?
    www.coribright.com

    "Ganesh P" <ganeshp@infics.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I have Windows XP installed on my machine..
    > I tried running VCD ".DAT' files using many players like
    > WMP 9, Xing player etc.. But it is not running.
    > When i try to Copy .DAT file to my machine from CD it
    > says "Invalid MS-DOS function".
    > Please sugest how to play ".DAT" files...

    Hi Cari,
    Thanks for ur response..
    When i try to open the .DAT file in WMP it takes a long
    time and throws an error saying "Cannot play specified
    file. Either file is corrupted or not in specified
    format".
    But same file opens in other computer which is running on
    Windows XP ..
    Please suggest..
    thanks in advance
    Ganesh

    Hardware)
    >www.coribright.com
    >
    >"Ganesh P" <ganeshp@infics.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >> I have Windows XP installed on my machine..
    >> I tried running VCD ".DAT' files using many players like
    >> WMP 9, Xing player etc.. But it is not running.
    >> When i try to Copy .DAT file to my machine from CD it
    >> says "Invalid MS-DOS function".
    >> Please sugest how to play ".DAT" files...
    >>

    >.

    Do you have another piece of dvd playing software on this pc? Like powerdvd.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP

    "Ganesh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi Cari,
    > Thanks for ur response..
    > When i try to open the .DAT file in WMP it takes a long
    > time and throws an error saying "Cannot play specified
    > file. Either file is corrupted or not in specified
    > format".
    > But same file opens in other computer which is running on
    > Windows XP ..
    > Please suggest..
    > thanks in advance
    > Ganesh

    Hi Graham ,
    Thanks for ur response..
    Yes i have PowerDVD installed on this system as mine is a
    Combo drive.
    Doest it cause any problem?
    Thanks
    Ganesh

    No, I was wondering if that played the disc?
    Have you tried the gspot utility to discover which codec has been used and
    whether you have it?

    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    --
    > Hi Graham ,
    > Thanks for ur response..
    > Yes i have PowerDVD installed on this system as mine is a
    > Combo drive.
    > Doest it cause any problem?
    > Thanks
    > Ganesh