Network Backup Storage Device

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.storage (More info?)

We are using the Veritas Backupexec software for LAN tape backup. We would
like to perform backups to a network storage device. Can anyone recommend a
device for purchase or should we make our own storage device?

Jim J
1 answer Last reply
More about network backup storage device
  1. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.storage (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage JimJ <jim@multidyne.com> wrote:
    > We are using the Veritas Backupexec software for LAN tape backup. We would
    > like to perform backups to a network storage device. Can anyone recommend a
    > device for purchase or should we make our own storage device?

    Making it yourself (server case, disks, Linux, software-RAID)
    costs about 25% of the same capacity prefabricated when I last
    calculated it. Depends on the needs you have (size, reliability),
    but for example a Chieftec server tower fits 6 disks directly and
    more with 5.25" enclosures. E.g. doing a 1TB RAID5 is really no problem
    with 200GB disks.

    Make sure you get a large enough quality PSU and a fan on each disk
    or disk-pack. Apart from that Mainboard/CPU/RAM,... are easy
    to replace with Linux without software reinstallation, so they are
    less critical.

    Arno

Storage Backup Devices