Going to overcome 137Gb barrier on Promise Ultra100 (not T..

Going to overcome 137Gb barrier on Promise Ultra100 (not TX) Ultra66
(not TX). Possible?
Website appreciated too.
Ssimpo

cjt

ssimpo wrote:
> Going to overcome 137Gb barrier on Promise Ultra100 (not TX) Ultra66
> (not TX). Possible?
> Website appreciated too.
> Ssimpo

I don't know whether it's possible, but I do think it would be a lot
less grief to buy a new controller that includes support for big drives
"out of the box." Controllers are cheap.

ssimpo@news.com (ssimpo) wrote in message news:<41955027.10296935@enews.newsguy.com>...

> Going to overcome 137Gb barrier on Promise Ultra100
> (not TX) Ultra66 (not TX). Possible?

Not needed because there is no 137Gb barrier. But there is a barrier
at 8x that capacity, 137GB (b = bit, B = byte), and it can be overcome
by flashing the Promise card's BIOS and installing the 48-bit LBA
Windows driver. This driver breaks the 137GB barrier even for Windows
98, 98SE, and ME, but it does nothing to solve the 4GB file size
limit.

You can get the software from these 2 places:

www.promise.com/support/download/download_eng.asp

www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads

The flash program is made for DOS and should not be run from a Windows
DOS box but only by booting to DOS (hit F8 during boot or boot from a
CD-ROM or floppy disk). I list Maxtor's site because their
controllers are identical to Promise's, except for logos (on the card
and in the BIOS), and Promise cards sometimes won't flash with
Promise's software. Similarly, Maxtor cards may need to be updated
with Promise's software.

Goom

>> Going to overcome 137Gb barrier on Promise Ultra100
>> (not TX) Ultra66 (not TX). Possible?
>
>Not needed because there is no 137Gb barrier. But there is a barrier
>at 8x that capacity, 137GB (b = bit, B = byte), and it can be overcome
>by flashing the Promise card's BIOS and installing the 48-bit LBA
>Windows driver. This driver breaks the 137GB barrier even for Windows
>98, 98SE, and ME, but it does nothing to solve the 4GB file size
>limit.
>
>You can get the software from these 2 places:
>
>www.promise.com/support/download/download_eng.asp
>
>www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads
>
>The flash program is made for DOS and should not be run from a Windows
>DOS box but only by booting to DOS (hit F8 during boot or boot from a
>CD-ROM or floppy disk). I list Maxtor's site because their
>controllers are identical to Promise's, except for logos (on the card
>and in the BIOS), and Promise cards sometimes won't flash with
>Promise's software. Similarly, Maxtor cards may need to be updated
>with Promise's software.
All below double line is clipboard to close the issue succesfully.
Taken from other usenet group Yesterday. Thanks to everyone.
Ssimpo.

>>>This is ControllerBios barrier, seeable after 2 bootup floppies of
>>>PartitionMagic8.0. Ultra100 TX does not have this barrier.
>>>Definitely Bios and electronic hack needed for card.
>>>Many Websites describe hack to Raid ability, but not what want.
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>Ssimpo
>>>

>>http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=18&category=All&os=100
>

> A lot thanks for magic hint. Bios flushed. Driver renewed (win98)
> Now PartitionMagic8 from floppies see FullSizeDrive (250G).
> Having 4 computers I attached filled w files WD1600EB and test
> copied files from patition beyond 137G to WD2500JBRTL also
> beyond 137G guaranteed. (FAT32 of course) in Win98 environment.
> But here is Question:
> Why Western Digital enclosed up to August 2003 "expensive"
> Ultra100TX2 instead moderate Ultra100. That was freebee
> in retail boxes for 160G and 200G hard drives?

Because the Ultra100TX2 is the current product Promise makes and the
Ultra100 isn't.

> Result seems the same. Specification seems same after
> Bios/Driver update.

TX2 supports 66 Mhz PCI.

> Till now Western Digital does not mention Ultra100 as good
> controller. Why?

Because Promise don't make it any more.