Partitioning RAID 0 HDD

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just ordered a new Dell XPS with a 320GB RAID 0 HD (2x160GB). Will I be
able to partition this into multiple drives or am I stuck with one gigantic
320GB drive?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan wrote:

> I just ordered a new Dell XPS with a 320GB RAID 0 HD (2x160GB). Will I be
> able to partition this into multiple drives or am I stuck with one
> gigantic 320GB drive?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

The RAID array will act exactly like any other drive (the software system
doesn't "know" it's a RAID array, it just sees a drive), so you'll be able
to do anything you can do with a regular drive. I.e., yes you can partition
it just like you want :)

--
I win!

> to do anything you can do with a regular drive. I.e., yes you can
partition
> it just like you want :)

And partitioning a large hard drive into a boot/OS partition (say 20GB) and
data partition is a *good* idea. It greatly facilitates re-installing the
operating system is something goes nasty.

20GB might be a bit on the low side if you've got 320GB to play with.

Cheers, Rob.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yep - that's how I partition my existing system (OS, apps, docs, video).
The Dell support guy said it was impossible (I guess that's what you get
when you outsource your support services).

Dan wrote:

> Yep - that's how I partition my existing system (OS, apps, docs, video).
> The Dell support guy said it was impossible (I guess that's what you get
> when you outsource your support services).

Wouldn't surprise me. Dell has their name written all over the worst support
I've ever experienced. :)

--
I win!