Partitioning RAID 0 HDD

I just ordered a new Dell XPS with a 320GB RAID 0 HD (2x160GB). Will I be
able to partition this into multiple drives or am I stuck with one gigantic
320GB drive?

Thanks,
Dan
4 answers Last reply
More about partitioning raid

    Dan wrote:

    > I just ordered a new Dell XPS with a 320GB RAID 0 HD (2x160GB). Will I be
    > able to partition this into multiple drives or am I stuck with one
    > gigantic 320GB drive?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    The RAID array will act exactly like any other drive (the software system
    doesn't "know" it's a RAID array, it just sees a drive), so you'll be able
    to do anything you can do with a regular drive. I.e., yes you can partition
    it just like you want :)

    --
    I win!

    > to do anything you can do with a regular drive. I.e., yes you can
    partition
    > it just like you want :)

    And partitioning a large hard drive into a boot/OS partition (say 20GB) and
    data partition is a *good* idea. It greatly facilitates re-installing the
    operating system is something goes nasty.

    20GB might be a bit on the low side if you've got 320GB to play with.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Yep - that's how I partition my existing system (OS, apps, docs, video).
    The Dell support guy said it was impossible (I guess that's what you get
    when you outsource your support services).

    Dan wrote:

    > Yep - that's how I partition my existing system (OS, apps, docs, video).
    > The Dell support guy said it was impossible (I guess that's what you get
    > when you outsource your support services).

    Wouldn't surprise me. Dell has their name written all over the worst support
    I've ever experienced. :)

    --
    I win!

NAS / RAID Hard Drives Dell Studio Xps Storage