3D not working with GeForce FX 5200

I am brand new to Windows and XP(use mostly linux) and I am trying to play some demos/games in XP and EVERY time that I try to start something up, XP freezes. And I don't mean a nice freeze, I mean that I can't do anything but power down and reboot. CTL-ALT-DEL does not even work, no response at all! Any ideas? Also, is there a free video card benchmarking tool that I can use to compare the performance of my video card(I use glxgears in linux) and make sure that it is up to par? Thanks,

Shane

Which nVidia drivers are you using? www.nvidia.com

www.coribright.com

"rookhappy" <rookhappy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am brand new to Windows and XP(use mostly linux) and I am trying to play
>some demos/games in XP and EVERY time that I try to start something up, XP
>freezes. And I don't mean a nice freeze, I mean that I can't do anything
>but power down and reboot. CTL-ALT-DEL does not even work, no response at
>all! Any ideas? Also, is there a free video card benchmarking tool that I
>can use to compare the performance of my video card(I use glxgears in
>linux) and make sure that it is up to par? Thanks,
>
> Shane

I am using the once that came with the video card from the installation CD. I can be more specific after I get home tonight, but would it be worth upgrading to the latest and greatest from nvidia.com?

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> Which nVidia drivers are you using? www.nvidia.com

> www.coribright.com
>

> "rookhappy" <rookhappy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am brand new to Windows and XP(use mostly linux) and I am trying to play
> >some demos/games in XP and EVERY time that I try to start something up, XP
> >freezes. And I don't mean a nice freeze, I mean that I can't do anything
> >but power down and reboot. CTL-ALT-DEL does not even work, no response at
> >all! Any ideas? Also, is there a free video card benchmarking tool that I
> >can use to compare the performance of my video card(I use glxgears in
> >linux) and make sure that it is up to par? Thanks,
> >
> > Shane

Yes!

>I am using the once that came with the video card from the installation CD.
>I can be more specific after I get home tonight, but would it be worth
>upgrading to the latest and greatest from nvidia.com?
>
> "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Which nVidia drivers are you using? www.nvidia.com
>>
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>

>> "rookhappy" <rookhappy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am brand new to Windows and XP(use mostly linux) and I am trying to
>> >play
>> >some demos/games in XP and EVERY time that I try to start something up,
>> >XP
>> >freezes. And I don't mean a nice freeze, I mean that I can't do
>> >anything
>> >but power down and reboot. CTL-ALT-DEL does not even work, no response
>> >at
>> >all! Any ideas? Also, is there a free video card benchmarking tool
>> >that I
>> >can use to compare the performance of my video card(I use glxgears in
>> >linux) and make sure that it is up to par? Thanks,
>> >
>> > Shane

I upgraded last night to the latest drivers from nvidia, and now it's even worse. The computer freezed for about 5 seconds, and then it REBOOTS. I have a copy of Windows 2000 Professional, should I just try that and give up on Windows XP Pro?

"Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:

> Yes!
> www.coribright.com
>
> "rookhappy" <rookhappy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using the once that came with the video card from the installation CD.
> >I can be more specific after I get home tonight, but would it be worth
> >upgrading to the latest and greatest from nvidia.com?
> >
> > "Cari (MS MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Which nVidia drivers are you using? www.nvidia.com
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>

> >> "rookhappy" <rookhappy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Is this a totally clean install of Windows XP, like on a
new system? If not then consider formatting and going
with a clean install. That's usually the last thing you
do, but since yer new to Windows I doubt you have a lot
of data you wanna keep on your Windows machine. Also,
make sure you not only have the latest nVidia drivers,
but also the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard
as well as DirectX 9.0b.

wrote in message
EC2A312CE87F@microsoft.com...
and I am trying to
to start something up,
that I can't do
even work, no response
benchmarking tool
(I use glxgears in

>.

This is a clean install of Windows XP. I partitioned 10GB of my harddrive and formatted it with the FAT32 Filesystem so that I can read and write to it through my linux installation. I do have the latest drivers from nvidia. The chipset driver update is a good suggestion, I will try that soon. Also, is DirectX 9.0b not a standard that comes with XP? In other words, do I need to download and install it, or does the XP installation do that for me? Thanks,

Shane

"Rob Hasselbach BCComputers" wrote:

> Is this a totally clean install of Windows XP, like on a
> new system? If not then consider formatting and going
> with a clean install. That's usually the last thing you
> do, but since yer new to Windows I doubt you have a lot
> of data you wanna keep on your Windows machine. Also,
> make sure you not only have the latest nVidia drivers,
> but also the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard
> as well as DirectX 9.0b.

XP comes with DirectX9a

9b is at: www.microsoft.com/directx
9c will be included as part of SP2