HDD LED responds to CD-ROM, not hard disk

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

I have:
- MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
- Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
- Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive

The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
and 3). Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
7 answers Last reply
More about responds hard disk
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    saw this once where the boot sequence determined the LED's source,
    can't remember the brand.

    "Steve Kobes" <stevenkobes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have:
    > - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
    > - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
    > - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
    >
    > The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard
    disk!
    > I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
    > and 3). Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Steve
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    In article <50d1fce8.0411161223.3cc217b8@posting.google.com>,
    Steve Kobes <stevenkobes@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I have:
    > - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
    > - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
    > - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
    >
    >The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
    >I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
    >and 3). Can anyone help?

    Just a WAG, but try swapping the pin 1 & 3 connections.

    --
    Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
    Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

    Steve Kobes wrote:

    > I have:
    > - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
    > - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
    > - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
    >
    > The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
    > I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
    > and 3). Can anyone help?

    Most likely the LED is tied to the PATA host adapter, not the SATA.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "Rich Greenberg" <richgr@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <50d1fce8.0411161223.3cc217b8@posting.google.com>,
    > Steve Kobes <stevenkobes@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >I have:
    > > - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
    > > - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
    > > - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
    > >
    > >The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
    > >I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
    > >and 3). Can anyone help?
    >
    > Just a WAG, but try swapping the pin 1 & 3 connections.
    >
    > --
    > Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321
    6507
    > Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since
    CP-67
    > Canines:Val, Red & Shasta (RIP),Red, husky
    Owner:Chinook-L
    > Atlanta Siberian Husky Rescue. www.panix.com/~richgr/ Asst
    Owner:Sibernet-L
    The HDD LED ia an IDE activity light and is supposed to respond to HDs &
    CDROM activity. It is NOT responding to SERIAL IDE activity, which is poor
    design or a bug in BIOS. Check for BIOS upgrades.
    Mike.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Steve Kobes wrote:
    > - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
    > - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
    > - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
    >
    > The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
    > I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
    > and 3). Can anyone help?

    Thanks to everyone who replied! I have the latest BIOS (v. 2.4).
    Changing the boot sequence makes no difference. With pins 1 and 3
    swapped, the LED does not come on at all.

    It does appear to be a defect in MSI's 875P motherboards. I also
    found this thread: http://tinyurl.com/6eqdb

    So I guess I will live without a hard disk LED.

    --Steve
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    stevenkobes@hotmail.com (Steve Kobes) wrote:

    |So I guess I will live without a hard disk LED.

    Steve,

    I had the same problem with an ABit board. ABit support said that was
    as designed. Win2K, however seems to actvate the led??

    Phil
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    pgx@pgrahams.com wrote:
    > I had the same problem with an ABit board. ABit support said that was
    > as designed. Win2K, however seems to actvate the led??

    I'm running Windows XP sp2, although I don't see why the OS would make
    any difference.

Hardware CD-Rom LED Monitor Hard Drives Storage