HDD LED responds to CD-ROM, not hard disk

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • CD-Rom
  • LED Monitor
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
November 16, 2004 3:23:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

I have:
- MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
- Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
- Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive

The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
and 3). Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

More about : hdd led responds rom hard disk

November 16, 2004 3:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

saw this once where the boot sequence determined the LED's source,
can't remember the brand.

"Steve Kobes" <stevenkobes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have:
> - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
> - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
> - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
>
> The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard
disk!
> I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
> and 3). Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 16, 2004 6:59:55 PM

In article <50d1fce8.0411161223.3cc217b8@posting.google.com>,
Steve Kobes <stevenkobes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have:
> - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
> - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
> - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
>
>The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
>I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
>and 3). Can anyone help?

Just a WAG, but try swapping the pin 1 & 3 connections.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

Steve Kobes wrote:

> I have:
> - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
> - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
> - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
>
> The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
> I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
> and 3). Can anyone help?

Most likely the LED is tied to the PATA host adapter, not the SATA.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Rich Greenberg" <richgr@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <50d1fce8.0411161223.3cc217b8@posting.google.com>,
> Steve Kobes <stevenkobes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I have:
> > - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
> > - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
> > - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
> >
> >The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
> >I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
> >and 3). Can anyone help?
>
> Just a WAG, but try swapping the pin 1 & 3 connections.
>
> --
> Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321
6507
> Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since
CP-67
> Canines:Val, Red & Shasta (RIP),Red, husky
Owner:Chinook-L
> Atlanta Siberian Husky Rescue. www.panix.com/~richgr/ Asst
Owner:Sibernet-L
The HDD LED ia an IDE activity light and is supposed to respond to HDs &
CDROM activity. It is NOT responding to SERIAL IDE activity, which is poor
design or a bug in BIOS. Check for BIOS upgrades.
Mike.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 19, 2004 2:17:24 PM

Steve Kobes wrote:
> - MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R motherboard
> - Seagate Serial ATA hard disk
> - Sony DRU-500A internal DVD/CD drive
>
> The HDD activity LED responds to the CD-ROM instead of the hard disk!
> I have connected it according to the motherboard manual (JFP1 pins 1
> and 3). Can anyone help?

Thanks to everyone who replied! I have the latest BIOS (v. 2.4).
Changing the boot sequence makes no difference. With pins 1 and 3
swapped, the LED does not come on at all.

It does appear to be a defect in MSI's 875P motherboards. I also
found this thread: http://tinyurl.com/6eqdb

So I guess I will live without a hard disk LED.

--Steve
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 20, 2004 11:10:31 PM

stevenkobes@hotmail.com (Steve Kobes) wrote:

|So I guess I will live without a hard disk LED.

Steve,

I had the same problem with an ABit board. ABit support said that was
as designed. Win2K, however seems to actvate the led??

Phil
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 21, 2004 7:10:25 PM

pgx@pgrahams.com wrote:
> I had the same problem with an ABit board. ABit support said that was
> as designed. Win2K, however seems to actvate the led??

I'm running Windows XP sp2, although I don't see why the OS would make
any difference.
!