Laptop projection problems

Having a problem with DVD playback on a pair of Toshiba laptops and
Panasonic PT LM1 projectors. The annoying thing about the setup is that
it is possible to project an image from the laptop, no problemo, it's
just that when we try to play a DVD, it will play the menu intro OK, but
once the DVD playback starts up it just reverts to a black square where
the content should appear, whilst still displaying the player control
panel underneath.
Been to the Tosh web site, but there are no updated drivers for the
video system, nVidia. (Trying them when I get the laptops back to
determine the flavour of chip)
We also have another Toshiba laptop ( All three Satellite 14**s )that
will play a DVD OK on projection which has a Trident video setup which
would suggest that it a problem with the nVidia graphics system?
any help with most gratefully received
Mike H

jr

Hi Mike,
I have a Toshiba Satellite 911 with a Trident
CyberAlladin video system...and it plays DVD's on my TV
without any problems...
Try to find an updated driver on drivers.com, this has
saved me a lot of times already...
Or try to re-install the DVD player software, as I don't
believe it to be a driver issue since it plays the menue
intro from the DVD...

It's often best to only use manufacturers graphics drivers on laptops. You
may find that with teh n-vidia one you need to set teh projection as master
output, as it could be seeing it as a secondary one and video overlay will
only be supported on the master.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"Mike Hyndman" <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Having a problem with DVD playback on a pair of Toshiba laptops and
> Panasonic PT LM1 projectors. The annoying thing about the setup is that
> it is possible to project an image from the laptop, no problemo, it's
> just that when we try to play a DVD, it will play the menu intro OK, but
> once the DVD playback starts up it just reverts to a black square where
> the content should appear, whilst still displaying the player control
> panel underneath.
> Been to the Tosh web site, but there are no updated drivers for the
> video system, nVidia. (Trying them when I get the laptops back to
> determine the flavour of chip)
> We also have another Toshiba laptop ( All three Satellite 14**s )that
> will play a DVD OK on projection which has a Trident video setup which
> would suggest that it a problem with the nVidia graphics system?
> any help with most gratefully received
> Mike H

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:06:01 +0100, "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media"
<graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote:

>It's often best to only use manufacturers graphics drivers on laptops. You
>may find that with teh n-vidia one you need to set teh projection as master
>output, as it could be seeing it as a secondary one and video overlay will
>only be supported on the master.
>Graham
Graham,

Many thanks for your reply but I sincerely hope not ;-(
but would this problem also prevent us from projecting any image from
the laptop (which we can do)
again many thanks
Mike H

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:28:21 -0700, "JR"

>Hi Mike,
>I have a Toshiba Satellite 911 with a Trident
>CyberAlladin video system...and it plays DVD's on my TV
>without any problems...
>Try to find an updated driver on drivers.com, this has
>saved me a lot of times already...
>Or try to re-install the DVD player software, as I don't
>believe it to be a driver issue since it plays the menue
>intro from the DVD...

You're not THE JR are you? :cool:
Yep thats what we get as well, the laptop with the Trident chipset works
just fine, it's the ones with the nVidia bit's n pieces that are not
playing. Will try a reinstallation of the playback software tomorrow and
see if it does the trick. Will also go to driver.com as well.
Many thanks
Mike H

Not sure which bits you mean???????
Video cards can only suport video overlay on one monitor, except for
expensive ones, this means you can see the outline of media player in a
secondary moniotr, but not any video playing in it's window, you should also
be able to hear the sound.

--
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:06:01 +0100, "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media"
> <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >It's often best to only use manufacturers graphics drivers on laptops.
You
> >may find that with the n-vidia one you need to set the projection as
master
> >output, as it could be seeing it as a secondary one and video overlay
will
> >only be supported on the master.
> >Graham
> Graham,
>
> Many thanks for your reply but I sincerely hope not ;-(
> but would this problem also prevent us from projecting any image from
> the laptop (which we can do)
> again many thanks
> Mike H

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:26:59 +0100, "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media"
<graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote:

>Not sure which bits you mean???????
>Video cards can only suport video overlay on one monitor, except for
>expensive ones, this means you can see the outline of media player in a
>secondary moniotr, but not any video playing in it's window, you should also
>be able to hear the sound.
Graham,
The two laptops that will not display the video overlay on projection
are equipped with nVidea graphics systems and the Laptop that will
display the video overlay on projection has Trident graphics system,
which suggest that the problem re projection lies with the nVidia
driver, no?
Many thanks
Mike H

Or just the settings you are using. Have you tried changing the settings in
the display properties?
Graham