Installing a newer HD in a very old Pentium 120

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
November 17, 2004 4:17:30 AM

Hi, everybody,
Can I temporarily install a newer up-to-date 40GB HD,7200 rpm (WD,
MAXTOR or HITACHI), in the following work frame?

Motherboard chipset: TRITON II - i430 VX
Processor: Pentium 120 MHz
Post ID: 10/18/96 - i430VX - 10031996C-00
Memory: 32 MB (EDO)
IDE Controller: 82371SB PIIX3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v. 4.51PG (10/18/96)
OS: W98SE

Is it possible for the BIOS to recognise it directly, although it may
have a maximum 8.4 GB (or 2.1 MB) size and less transfer rate?

Or would it be advisable to use the propietary software (Maxblast,
EZ-BIOS) to overcome the BIOS barrier size? Do you consider this a safe
method, taking into account that it is installed in the MBR?

Which HD trademark is advisable in this case?

Do you think it is possible to connect the HD to a brand new motherboard
in the future, and to obtain all the benefits related to size and
transfer rate without having to carry out the installation from scratch? Is
the Maxblast or EZ-Bios automatically eliminated?

Thanks in advance
Silvia
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 17, 2004 7:15:02 PM

In article <2vvn58F2pjubcU1@uni-berlin.de>, silviap@privacy.net says...
> Can I temporarily install a newer up-to-date 40GB HD,7200 rpm (WD,
> MAXTOR or HITACHI), in the following work frame?
>
> Motherboard chipset: TRITON II - i430 VX
> Processor: Pentium 120 MHz
> Post ID: 10/18/96 - i430VX - 10031996C-00
> Memory: 32 MB (EDO)
> IDE Controller: 82371SB PIIX3
> BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v. 4.51PG (10/18/96)
> OS: W98SE
>
> Is it possible for the BIOS to recognise it directly, although it may
> have a maximum 8.4 GB (or 2.1 MB) size and less transfer rate?
>
> Or would it be advisable to use the propietary software (Maxblast,
> EZ-BIOS) to overcome the BIOS barrier size? Do you consider this a safe
> method, taking into account that it is installed in the MBR?
>
> Which HD trademark is advisable in this case?
>
> Do you think it is possible to connect the HD to a brand new motherboard
> in the future, and to obtain all the benefits related to size and
> transfer rate without having to carry out the installation from scratch? Is
> the Maxblast or EZ-Bios automatically eliminated?

It should generally work. IDE drives should be backwards compatible
with previous transfer rates. Odds are, you will only get basic DMA at
best. In a few cases, it could lock up during POST. Some drive have
special jumper settings if that happens. You might have a 2G or 8G limit
without an overlay.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
!