Ghost image on RAID-5 file system doesn't work but it does..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
November 17, 2004 11:19:09 PM

I had a Ghost image of a PC (compressed SysPrep Windows XP image file approx
1.7GB in size)

It was stored on an Adaptec 2410SA Serial-ATA RAID system on 4 WD Raptor
74GB drives.

However when using Ghost 7.5 to read the image file to restore another PC,
it keep crashing and complaining it was corrupt.

However I copied the image file to another PC and tried reading it from
there and it was fine.

Anyone know why this could be?

I know that Ghost has problems creating an image of a RAID system but surely
the image file can be STORED on a RAID file system.
November 17, 2004 11:19:10 PM

Did you move Adaptec RAID to another PC to restore (and image was
corrupted)?
How did you copy image file to another PC (and image was fine)?
Is first "another PC" the same as the second "another PC"?

"David Travers" <david@NO-SPAM.travers.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
> I had a Ghost image of a PC (compressed SysPrep Windows XP image file
approx
> 1.7GB in size)
>
> It was stored on an Adaptec 2410SA Serial-ATA RAID system on 4 WD Raptor
> 74GB drives.
>
> However when using Ghost 7.5 to read the image file to restore another PC,
> it keep crashing and complaining it was corrupt.
>
> However I copied the image file to another PC and tried reading it from
> there and it was fine.
>
> Anyone know why this could be?
>
> I know that Ghost has problems creating an image of a RAID system but
surely
> the image file can be STORED on a RAID file system.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 18, 2004 2:20:47 AM

"David Travers" <david@NO-SPAM.travers.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
> Anyone know why this could be?
>
> I know that Ghost has problems creating an image of a RAID system but
surely
> the image file can be STORED on a RAID file system.
***I have had no problems creating RAID images, but that's besides the
point, lets move on.

So, how many computers are involved in this scenario? Are they all on the
same network hub/switch? Good network wiring?

Are you using Ghost server for windows or DOS? AND, did you do the same
thing once you moved the image file to another PC?

So far I think we have at least 4 computers.

1. The original PC that was the source of the ghost image
2. The PC with the RAID 5 array
3. The PC you are trying to ghost
4. The PC you ended up copying the image file to, in order to use Ghost.

Is the computer count correct?

Thanks,
--Dan
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 18, 2004 3:38:42 AM

It's a company network. I have over 75 PC's.

I'll try and explain in more detail.

I have a file server which I have recently fitted with a new RAID5 card. The
server runs Redhat Linux and has a Samba file server on it. The image file
was stored on a share, which in turn is stored on the RAID array.

I then had another PC which I wanted to Ghost using this image file. This
was booted onto the network and Ghost run in a DOS client.

Evertime it tried to read the image file via the network share it said the
file was corrupt.

Therefore I moved the image file onto another server which does have RAID-5
just a normal EXT-3 file system on a SCSI hard disk.

This worked fine, which meant the image was not corrupt.

I can't understand what the problem could be.

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "David Travers" <david@NO-SPAM.travers.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Anyone know why this could be?
>>
>> I know that Ghost has problems creating an image of a RAID system but
> surely
>> the image file can be STORED on a RAID file system.
> ***I have had no problems creating RAID images, but that's besides the
> point, lets move on.
>

> So, how many computers are involved in this scenario? Are they all on the
> same network hub/switch? Good network wiring?
>
> Are you using Ghost server for windows or DOS? AND, did you do the same
> thing once you moved the image file to another PC?
>
> So far I think we have at least 4 computers.
>
> 1. The original PC that was the source of the ghost image
> 2. The PC with the RAID 5 array
> 3. The PC you are trying to ghost
> 4. The PC you ended up copying the image file to, in order to use Ghost.
>
> Is the computer count correct?
>
> Thanks,
> --Dan

November 18, 2004 3:38:43 AM

Problem seems to exist in communication between cloned PC DOS client and the
original server share.
I would try using a different OS. Can you try to boot your cloned PC with
BartPE and use Ghost32.exe?

> It's a company network. I have over 75 PC's.
>
> I'll try and explain in more detail.
>
> I have a file server which I have recently fitted with a new RAID5 card.
The
> server runs Redhat Linux and has a Samba file server on it. The image file
> was stored on a share, which in turn is stored on the RAID array.
>
> I then had another PC which I wanted to Ghost using this image file. This
> was booted onto the network and Ghost run in a DOS client.
>
> Evertime it tried to read the image file via the network share it said the
> file was corrupt.
>
> Therefore I moved the image file onto another server which does have
RAID-5
> just a normal EXT-3 file system on a SCSI hard disk.
>
> This worked fine, which meant the image was not corrupt.
>
> I can't understand what the problem could be.
>

> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "David Travers" <david@NO-SPAM.travers.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Anyone know why this could be?
> >>
> >> I know that Ghost has problems creating an image of a RAID system but
> > surely
> >> the image file can be STORED on a RAID file system.
> > ***I have had no problems creating RAID images, but that's besides the
> > point, lets move on.
> >

> > So, how many computers are involved in this scenario? Are they all on
the
> > same network hub/switch? Good network wiring?
> >
> > Are you using Ghost server for windows or DOS? AND, did you do the same
> > thing once you moved the image file to another PC?
> >
> > So far I think we have at least 4 computers.
> >
> > 1. The original PC that was the source of the ghost image
> > 2. The PC with the RAID 5 array
> > 3. The PC you are trying to ghost
> > 4. The PC you ended up copying the image file to, in order to use Ghost.
> >
> > Is the computer count correct?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Dan

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 18, 2004 8:10:05 PM

Was this the first time you tried to ghost a PC using the RAID array as the
source?

Does your Ghost boot disk map a drive letter to the RAID 5 array? If so (to
test file access) try exiting from the DOS ghost program to a DOS prompt,
and just try copying the file from the samba share to the local hard drive.
I wonder if you will get an error. Ghost may interpret file access rights
as "corrupt".

--Dan

"David Travers" <david@NO-SPAM.travers.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
> It's a company network. I have over 75 PC's.
>
> I'll try and explain in more detail.
>
> I have a file server which I have recently fitted with a new RAID5 card.
The
> server runs Redhat Linux and has a Samba file server on it. The image file
> was stored on a share, which in turn is stored on the RAID array.
>
> I then had another PC which I wanted to Ghost using this image file. This
> was booted onto the network and Ghost run in a DOS client.
>
> Evertime it tried to read the image file via the network share it said the
> file was corrupt.
>
> Therefore I moved the image file onto another server which does have
RAID-5
> just a normal EXT-3 file system on a SCSI hard disk.
>
> This worked fine, which meant the image was not corrupt.
>
> I can't understand what the problem could be.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 21, 2004 2:21:07 PM

On 2004-11-18, David Travers <david@NO-SPAM.travers.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a file server which I have recently fitted with a new
> RAID5 card. The server runs Redhat Linux and has a Samba file
> server on it. The image file was stored on a share, which in
> turn is stored on the RAID array.
>
> I then had another PC which I wanted to Ghost using this image
> file. This was booted onto the network and Ghost run in a DOS
> client.
>
> Evertime it tried to read the image file via the network share
> it said the file was corrupt.
>
> Therefore I moved the image file onto another server which
> does have RAID-5 just a normal EXT-3 file system on a SCSI
> hard disk.
>
> This worked fine, which meant the image was not corrupt.

What's the filesystem type on the RAID-5 volume ? Is there a
possibility that non-RAID filesystem supports ACLs and the RAID
filesystem doesn't ?

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/&gt;
Things will be bright in P.M. A cop will shine a light in your face.