Any ideas?
1 answer Last reply
More about hard drive ready retire

    On 2004-11-18, Kris <kristoffertorvik@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > The system has a 40MB hard drive that is having problems finding boot
    > sectors. I don't have the disks for the software on the drive, and I
    > really need to get that software on to a new drive with MS-dos 5.0
    > somehow. The computer has a 5.25" drive, parallell port and serial
    > port. That's it.

    Is it an IDE drive ? Move the drive to a working computer. Mount
    the partition(s) you're interested in read-only and cp -a it to
    wherever is appropriate. Assuming the partition of interest is
    the first primary partition and you install the 40MB drive as
    slave on the primary IDE port,

    mount -o ro -t msdos /dev/hdb1 /mnt
    cp -a /mnt /somewhere-safe

    If you can't read the boot sector, you may have to do some
    guesswork as to the beginning and end of partition. If it uses
    up all disk, it's probably a primary partition. It should start
    at 0.1.1 and end at C-1.H-1.S (where C, H, S are the number of
    cylinders, heads and sectors per track of the drive). (The
    notation above is 0-based for the cylinder and head number and
    1-based for the sector number). Assuming the geometry is
    78.16.63,

    dd bs=512 skip=63 if=/dev/hdb of=image
    mount -o ro,loop -t msdos image /mnt
    cp -a /mnt /somewhere-safe

    If there are unreadable sectors inside the partition, you may
    have to use something else than dd for the copy.

    --
    André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
    Things will be bright in P.M. A cop will shine a light in your face.

Hard Drives Storage