HP's First Ultrabook is the HP Folio 13, for Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What resolution is the display? 1366x768? If so, this will be another joke of a notebook. 1080p please.

lp231

Splendid
I am the almighty bung hole! It would be a shame for your Polio to get Folio! :p
What SSD is used? Regular types or flash stick type running on microSATA like in other ultrabooks?

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]rnnmma299[/nom]What resolution is the display? 1366x768? If so, this will be another joke of a notebook. 1080p please.[/citation]

No thank you to 1080p on a 13.3" screen. I'm barely comfortable with 1080p in my 15.6" screen.

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]shadamus[/nom]No thank you to 1080p on a 13.3" screen. I'm barely comfortable with 1080p in my 15.6" screen.[/citation]
Dell used to have 15" running at 1920x1200. You need a electron magnifier to read what's on the screen.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Dell used to have 15" running at 1920x1200. You need a electron magnifier to read what's on the screen.[/citation]

A) Get glasses
B) Increase your font settings...
C) Enjoy the resolution......

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
HP failio.

Although i'm not sure anyone in the 'business' is going to waste that much on a 'ultrabook'.

It's not as portable as a tablet, and nowhere near powerful enough for any work, and not cost efficient at all.

It may be used however by pretentious commuters on trains showing off their kit while typing a word document while on the phone.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
@billybobser The point is that it has a keyboard/mouse interface, and is thus strictly better than a tablet for business, as it is usable. Most work in many industries doesn't require any more power than that required to run a text editor and the occasional word or excel spreadsheet. Tablets can't do even that because of interface, but a light laptop can do it just fine while still being portable. The only industry I can think of that needs more power than that is photo editing/3d modeling, pretty much everywhere else the major work is performed by remote servers instead of workstations anyway.

There is value in portability, even if you don't see it. It's a lot less of a pain to carry around a laptop for work if you don't need to lug it around in a bag just for it, and "ordinary" laptops almost all are too thick for a standard briefcase or other case.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]HP failio.Although i'm not sure anyone in the 'business' is going to waste that much on a 'ultrabook'.It's not as portable as a tablet, and nowhere near powerful enough for any work, and not cost efficient at all.It may be used however by pretentious commuters on trains showing off their kit while typing a word document while on the phone.[/citation]

Yeah try actually getting work done on that crappy tablet, if it ain't got a REAL keyboard, it ain't gunna be truly productive. Tablets are going to become extinct long before the lap top or even the desktop.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]and nowhere near powerful enough for any work[/citation]

How is a 13.3" laptop with an i5 or i7 not powerful enough to get real work done? This ultra thin laptop is more powerful than most 2u servers were 4-5 years ago.

and an embedded TPM Embedded
redundant

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Dell used to have 15" running at 1920x1200. You need a electron magnifier to read what's on the screen.[/citation]

i zoom in on my 21 inch 1920x1200. than again i sit a good 3 feet away normally, and at times about 10.
i get a great resolution for games, i get great display for i think it was under 300$, i cant see a single thing wrong with it.

point being, the extra resolution is there when you can use it, and when you dont, zoom in, you can do this in windows makeing everything bigger, text wise.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]HP failio.Although i'm not sure anyone in the 'business' is going to waste that much on a 'ultrabook'.It's not as portable as a tablet, and nowhere near powerful enough for any work, and not cost efficient at all.It may be used however by pretentious commuters on trains showing off their kit while typing a word document while on the phone.[/citation]

1) Anyone who has to carry a laptop around all day would argue that every kg of weight counts.
2) Low power consumption = cool laptop + long battery life = perfect for people working on the move.
3) A Sandy/Ivy/Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake/Skymont i5 or i7 is/will be good enough to play Crysis (ignoring the GPU part)
4) IGP is more than enough for most, if not all non-gaming tasks. With coming generations of IGPs from both AMD and Intel, i imagine even video editing will be done using the APU.
5) It has a 128GB SSD and i'm sure you can buy a larger one too. If you think 128GB is small, then no it isn't, because if you cut out games and other non-essential stuff (for business or home-office type work) then that's pretty much enough. My OS+Music Library+Videos (not including movies)+ALL DATA+programs+page file = 102GB approx.

So what's the failing? I think it's great. Not as portable as a tablet? why not? Ultrabooks are like what, 1.5 Kg in weight? apple's ipad and Samsung's Galaxy Tab are around 600g. This has a bigger screen, but then you needed to carry your tablet in a bag too, why not carry a thin laptop? They're only a bit thicker, after all.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i zoom in on my 21 inch 1920x1200. than again i sit a good 3 feet away [/citation]
21" LCD monitors are usually 1600x1200 if it has 1200 vertical Rez. Today's 21-26" monitors are 1920x1080. For high end notebooks, 1920x1080 on 15" looks quite nice... Your are closer to a notebook screen compared to a desktop.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]21" LCD monitors are usually 1600x1200 if it has 1200 vertical Rez. Today's 21-26" monitors are 1920x1080. For high end notebooks, 1920x1080 on 15" looks quite nice... Your are closer to a notebook screen compared to a desktop.[/citation]

not sure what you mean exactly, but i will say this, im never using a 16:9 for a pc ever again, if ever presented a choice. it may not be alot but 16:10 makes a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.