GeForce FX 5200

July 5, 2004 6:55:03 AM

Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

More about : geforce 5200

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 3:11:20 PM

What kind of monitor?

If it's a LCD and you're trying to use the DVI
cable, run, don't walk, back to the store you
bought your graphics card from and get an ATI.

The DVI transmitter on 5200's is broken...I could not
get any DVI output at all on mine. Changed it for a ATI
9600 SE, and now have DVI, but still figuring out how to get around
the bogus EDID problem programmed into my Samsung 191T.

This thread covers it...get a cold drink and read all the posts.
It's a pretty sad story...

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...

"thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 6:09:02 PM

I am running a Packard Bell 2600 series PnP monitor.

"V Green" wrote:

> What kind of monitor?
>
> If it's a LCD and you're trying to use the DVI
> cable, run, don't walk, back to the store you
> bought your graphics card from and get an ATI.
>
> The DVI transmitter on 5200's is broken...I could not
> get any DVI output at all on mine. Changed it for a ATI
> 9600 SE, and now have DVI, but still figuring out how to get around
> the bogus EDID problem programmed into my Samsung 191T.
>
> This thread covers it...get a cold drink and read all the posts.
> It's a pretty sad story...
>
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
>

> "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
> installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
> flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
> monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
> change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
> is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
> garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
> desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

July 5, 2004 10:35:53 PM

start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings, what
refresh rate etc do you have set?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
"thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 10:35:54 PM

I installed the latest drivers, the driver version is 5.6.7.2. The display is 1024x768x32bpp. I can manually change the refresh rate, anywhere from 60hz to 72hz. But even when i change the refresh rate, it still flickers and is garbled.

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings, what
> refresh rate etc do you have set?
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
> installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
> flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
> monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
> change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
> is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
> garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
> desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 3:54:42 AM

Try lowering the colour. How old is the monitor?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP
> I installed the latest drivers, the driver version is 5.6.7.2. The
display is 1024x768x32bpp. I can manually change the refresh rate, anywhere
from 60hz to 72hz. But even when i change the refresh rate, it still
flickers and is garbled.

> "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
>
> > start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings,
what
> > refresh rate etc do you have set?
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP
> > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
> > installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
> > flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
> > monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
> > change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd
part
> > is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
> > garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
> > desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 3:54:43 AM

I lowered the color, but still it flickers. The monitor was manufactured in November of 98.

"Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

> Try lowering the colour. How old is the monitor?
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP
> www.simplydv.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I installed the latest drivers, the driver version is 5.6.7.2. The
> display is 1024x768x32bpp. I can manually change the refresh rate, anywhere
> from 60hz to 72hz. But even when i change the refresh rate, it still
> flickers and is garbled.
> >
> > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
> >
> > > start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings,
> what
> > > refresh rate etc do you have set?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP
> > > www.simplydv.co.uk
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
> > > flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
> > > monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
> > > change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd
> part
> > > is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
> > > garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
> > > desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:24:22 AM

Try one simple thing. Turn on V-Sync. That was invented
to prevent ripping, tearing, garbage, etc... I hope that
helps.

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 1:18:02 AM

How do i turn on V-sync?

"Rob Hasselbach BCComputers" wrote:

> Try one simple thing. Turn on V-Sync. That was invented
> to prevent ripping, tearing, garbage, etc... I hope that
> helps.

July 10, 2004 7:56:22 PM

one other thing to consider is "is there a alarm emiter in the room " ????
I' have seen those give flickering reactions in monitors before ..

!