GeForce FX 5200

Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh
9 answers Last reply
More about geforce 5200

    What kind of monitor?

    If it's a LCD and you're trying to use the DVI
    cable, run, don't walk, back to the store you
    bought your graphics card from and get an ATI.

    The DVI transmitter on 5200's is broken...I could not
    get any DVI output at all on mine. Changed it for a ATI
    9600 SE, and now have DVI, but still figuring out how to get around
    the bogus EDID problem programmed into my Samsung 191T.

    This thread covers it...get a cold drink and read all the posts.
    It's a pretty sad story...

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=27226&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

    "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
    installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
    flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
    monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
    change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
    is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
    garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
    desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

    I am running a Packard Bell 2600 series PnP monitor.

    "V Green" wrote:

    > What kind of monitor?
    >
    > If it's a LCD and you're trying to use the DVI
    > cable, run, don't walk, back to the store you
    > bought your graphics card from and get an ATI.
    >
    > The DVI transmitter on 5200's is broken...I could not
    > get any DVI output at all on mine. Changed it for a ATI
    > 9600 SE, and now have DVI, but still figuring out how to get around
    > the bogus EDID problem programmed into my Samsung 191T.
    >
    > This thread covers it...get a cold drink and read all the posts.
    > It's a pretty sad story...
    >
    > http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=27226&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
    >

    > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
    > installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
    > flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
    > monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
    > change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
    > is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
    > garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
    > desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

    start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings, what
    refresh rate etc do you have set?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
    installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
    flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
    monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
    change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
    is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
    garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
    desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

    I installed the latest drivers, the driver version is 5.6.7.2. The display is 1024x768x32bpp. I can manually change the refresh rate, anywhere from 60hz to 72hz. But even when i change the refresh rate, it still flickers and is garbled.

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings, what
    > refresh rate etc do you have set?
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
    > installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
    > flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
    > monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
    > change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd part
    > is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
    > garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
    > desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

    Try lowering the colour. How old is the monitor?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    > I installed the latest drivers, the driver version is 5.6.7.2. The
    display is 1024x768x32bpp. I can manually change the refresh rate, anywhere
    from 60hz to 72hz. But even when i change the refresh rate, it still
    flickers and is garbled.

    > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    >
    > > start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings,
    what
    > > refresh rate etc do you have set?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP
    > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Can someone please help me! I just installed a fresh Windows XP and
    > > installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
    > > flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
    > > monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
    > > change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd
    part
    > > is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
    > > garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
    > > desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

    I lowered the color, but still it flickers. The monitor was manufactured in November of 98.

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > Try lowering the colour. How old is the monitor?
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I installed the latest drivers, the driver version is 5.6.7.2. The
    > display is 1024x768x32bpp. I can manually change the refresh rate, anywhere
    > from 60hz to 72hz. But even when i change the refresh rate, it still
    > flickers and is garbled.
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    > >
    > > > start by installing the latest drivers, then recheck all the settings,
    > what
    > > > refresh rate etc do you have set?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP
    > > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > > "thepkilla" <thepkilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > installed a new GeForce FX 5200 agp graphics card. My monitor constantly
    > > > flickers and sometimes restarts unexpectidly. I have tried adjusting the
    > > > monitors refresh rate, but it doesnt work. I have herd that you cannot
    > > > change the default Windows XP refresh rate. It stays at 60hz. The wierd
    > part
    > > > is when i play games or have stuff in full screen mode, the display isnt
    > > > garbled or flickering. It only flickers when its running normally on the
    > > > desktop or on the internet. Any information would help. Thanks, Josh

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Try one simple thing. Turn on V-Sync. That was invented
    to prevent ripping, tearing, garbage, etc... I hope that
    helps.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    How do i turn on V-sync?

    "Rob Hasselbach BCComputers" wrote:

    > Try one simple thing. Turn on V-Sync. That was invented
    > to prevent ripping, tearing, garbage, etc... I hope that
    > helps.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    one other thing to consider is "is there a alarm emiter in the room " ????
    I' have seen those give flickering reactions in monitors before ..

    > How do i turn on V-sync?
    >

    > "Rob Hasselbach BCComputers" wrote:
    >
    > > Try one simple thing. Turn on V-Sync. That was invented
    > > to prevent ripping, tearing, garbage, etc... I hope that
    > > helps.

Video Geforce Windows XP