Valve & PC Gamer release patches

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 13, 2005 11:07:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games (More info?)

Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
brunt of the Valve/Steam debate

The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"

Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...

Let the flamewars begin ;-)

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Shawk wrote:
> Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
> brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
>
> The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
> patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
> cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
> released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
>
> Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
>
> Let the flamewars begin ;-)

....no point x-posting if you dont spell the ngs correctly...

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
April 13, 2005 11:44:27 PM

> Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the brunt
> of the Valve/Steam debate
>
> The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
> patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
> cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was released
> for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
>
> Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
>
> Let the flamewars begin ;-)

Ooooooh no it isn't, or something...

;o)
April 14, 2005 3:13:13 AM

> how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
> take up?

I have approx 10 Gigs here
Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig

SourceSDK_Content is using 800 Mb (work in progress, samples, extracted
content etc)

rgds
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:37:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in news:1113415652.51041.0
@dyke.uk.clara.net:

> Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
> brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
>
> The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
> patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
> cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
> released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
>
> Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
>
> Let the flamewars begin ;-)

I wish sayno was here to see this
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:48:09 AM

Peter [AGHL] wrote:
> > how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
> > take up?
>
> I have approx 10 Gigs here
> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig

I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to get
it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at half
the size it would take three months).

Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of the
size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail industry is
still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:57:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:10:29 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>Shawk wrote:
>> Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
>> brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
>>
>> The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
>> patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
>> cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
>> released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"

How about adding a Steam decryptor to the DVD as well.... So that
those who have HL2 won't be using the CDs for wall-paper when Valve
goes belly-up. Can't hurt Valve much, since sales of HL2 have slowed
to a mere trickle.

Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
$19.99.....

John Lewis

>> Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
>>
>> Let the flamewars begin ;-)
>>

>...no point x-posting if you dont spell the ngs correctly...
>
>--
>It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
>taming in one go.
>You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
>taming, say, via banking...
April 14, 2005 9:15:00 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:07:41 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
>brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
>
>The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
>patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
>cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
>released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
>
>Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
>
>Let the flamewars begin ;-)

wtf 4.5gb of updates,how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
take up? i don't have hl2,and as my broadband is capped i don't
think i would want to download the game and then 4 .5gb of updates on
top..what is the total install size of the game plus updates? 7gigs
plus?seems bloody huge.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:07:44 AM

dr ratt wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:21:27 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb
per
> >> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to
get
> >> it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at
half
> >> the size it would take three months).
> >>
> >> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication
of
> >> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
> >> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
> >
> >Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I
have
> >a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
> >McG.
> >

> i have half megabit broadband and i downloaded 4gigabytes of movies
> [not 'instructional' videos] from family in australia in less than
> 24hrs.
> my mother-in-law, whom the movies were for, would have used her whole
> months allowance for this 1 task.
> i pay £25 per month, she pays £18 per month - 3/4s the price for
> 1/30th the service.
> sayNOtocaps anyone?

I pay £15.99 for Tiscali's 1mb service, capped at 2gb.
Interestingly (or not - you be the judge) the Tiscali Broadband page is
now carrying disclaimers about how that much is OK for regular users:

"The average Tiscali Broadband customer uses less than 0.8GB usage
allowance each month. Therefore, a 2GB monthly usage allowance is more
than sufficient for the majority of users. "

Sound like they're on the defensive, so maybe it's just a matter of
time before they open this up a bit. I used to be on the 128mb service
and they scrapped that and auto upgraded me to 256 at no cost. Then
they scrapped that and I got upped again, so I think the cap will go
soon.

I don't dl films or even music, so a 2gb cap is fine for me.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:01:35 PM

Frode wrote:

> Chadwick wrote:
> >"The average Tiscali Broadband customer uses less than 0.8GB usage
> >allowance each month. Therefore, a 2GB monthly usage allowance is
more
> >than sufficient for the majority of users. "
>
> If we give that piece of logic a tiny twist, you end up with "The
average
> customer uses less than 0.8GB each month. Thus there is no need to
put a
> cap on traffic."

But then the heavy downloaders would jump on board and the average
usage would increase.

The cap is there to make big downloaders pay more.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:21:27 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
>>> how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
>>> take up?
>>
>> I have approx 10 Gigs here
>> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig
>
> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to get
> it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at half
> the size it would take three months).
>
> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of
> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.

Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I have
a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
McG.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:23:00 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:21:27 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have approx 10 Gigs here
>>> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig
>>
>> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
>> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to get
>> it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at half
>> the size it would take three months).
>>
>> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of
>> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
>> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
>
>Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I have
>a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
>McG.

i have half megabit broadband and i downloaded 4gigabytes of movies
[not 'instructional' videos] from family in australia in less than
24hrs.
my mother-in-law, whom the movies were for, would have used her whole
months allowance for this 1 task.
i pay £25 per month, she pays £18 per month - 3/4s the price for
1/30th the service.
sayNOtocaps anyone?

dr ratt
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:06:07 PM

Stoned Monkey wrote:

> I wish sayno was here to see this

Looks like his step-dad, John Lewis, filled in the void.
April 14, 2005 10:36:38 PM

April 14, 2005 11:07:25 PM

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:17:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in

> Stoned Monkey wrote:
>
>> I wish sayno was here to see this
>
> Looks like his step-dad, John Lewis, filled in the void.

lol looks like it
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:18:51 AM

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:21:27 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
>>> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to
>>> get it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at
>>> half the size it would take three months).
>>>
>>> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of
>>> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
>>> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
>>
>> Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I
>> have a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
>> McG.
>>

> i have half megabit broadband and i downloaded 4gigabytes of movies
> [not 'instructional' videos] from family in australia in less than
> 24hrs.
> my mother-in-law, whom the movies were for, would have used her whole
> months allowance for this 1 task.
> i pay £25 per month, she pays £18 per month - 3/4s the price for
> 1/30th the service.
> sayNOtocaps anyone?
>
> dr ratt

Ya sure got THAT right!!
McG.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:12:40 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, DalienX wrote:

> AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
>
> > a problem. And 4.5GB of patches you say? WTF? Are the patching the
> > games or releasing a new ones?

He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
supposed to be included in this?

> I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
> play the game like it is ment to be played.

Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?

April 15, 2005 2:12:41 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:12:40 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, DalienX wrote:
>
>> AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
>>
>> > a problem. And 4.5GB of patches you say? WTF? Are the patching the
>> > games or releasing a new ones?
>
>He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
>supposed to be included in this?

Probably the entire HL series. There's more to patching then just HL2,
CS:S and other stuff. It might even contain a bit of DOD:S as well...

>> I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
>> play the game like it is ment to be played.
>
>Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?

I'm on dial-up. HL2 works fine for me, provided it doesn't crash because
of a video card problem.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:22:41 PM

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
> because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
> again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
> person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
> need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
> whining.

Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
(Steam) in order to patch their game. Patches which are standalone, able to
be downloaded from anywhere and easily archived. Not the case with HL2,
Valve adds unnecessary layers of complexity and hassle.

This is what people are "whining" about and sending a strong signal that
this not become a precident for future games.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:54:23 PM

Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0504151009010.30624@cicum1.cup.uni-muenchen.de:

> He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
> supposed to be included in this?

Spyware, of course. So Valve can rape your PC while you sleep. It's part of
their secret world domination plan.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:27:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1113581507.430742.86750
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> * I think this is what he meant, rather than just a homophobic insult.
> I could be wrong, but I try to think the best of people.

LOL.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
April 15, 2005 9:57:35 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, DalienX wrote:
>

>>AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
>>

>>>a problem. And 4.5GB of patches you say? WTF? Are the patching the
>>>games or releasing a new ones?
>

> He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
> supposed to be included in this?

It's over a GB more than the original retail HL2 DVD so I'm 'guessing'
the whole game plus patches are on there (unlockable via Steam). Looked
at the disc contents but they mean nothing to me hence the reason for
'guessing'.

>>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
>>play the game like it is ment to be played.
>

> Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?

You need a connection while installing. You do not need one for playing
the single player game. Did I mention that all updates are now
available on a magazine DVD like other games?

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:46:51 AM

>> Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
>>

> You need a connection while installing.

Since it's hard to play a game without installing, that pretty much blows it
out of the water right there.

> You do not need one for playing the single player game.

I've already heard enough horror stories right here on this group about
offline mode mysteriously "expiring" for no discernable reason and the
single-player game refusing to play until you go online again (and download
megabytes of patches you don't need) that I will no longer accept this
statement.
April 16, 2005 3:37:00 AM

SpammersDie wrote:
>>>Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
>>>

>>You need a connection while installing.
>

> Since it's hard to play a game without installing, that pretty much blows it
> out of the water right there.

Fine.

>>You do not need one for playing the single player game.
>

> I've already heard enough horror stories right here on this group about
> offline mode mysteriously "expiring" for no discernable reason and the
> single-player game refusing to play until you go online again (and download
> megabytes of patches you don't need) that I will no longer accept this
> statement.

Then you must have also read about the workarounds.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:38:35 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:22:41 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

>"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
>> because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
>> again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
>> person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
>> need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
>> whining.
>
>Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
>difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
>(Steam) in order to patch their game.

Actually, EQ2 and various other MMORPGs tend to follwo this system. While
you could download and archive a standalone, there's almost no point in
doing so since the client is only useful to connect to the server.

Similar reasoning can apply to any game with a multiplayer component - you
generally don't want old versions appearing on a tracker as it can make the
game a compatability nightmare in some cases.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:02:04 PM

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:22:41 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
>>> again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
>>> person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
>>> need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
>>> whining.
>>
>>Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
>>difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
>>(Steam) in order to patch their game.
>
> Actually, EQ2 and various other MMORPGs tend to follwo this system.

I wasn't aware that MMORPG's had single-player components.

If you only want to cater to the needs of multiplayer fans, then make a
multiplayer-only game.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 11:54:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:24:51 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
wrote:

>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
>play the game like it is ment to be played.

I have a fairly decent PC and cable connection but my ISP limits my
download bandwidth to 10gb per month. I can't afford to waste that
bandwidth on some stupid FPS game.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:28:02 AM

"Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

>snip<
> The warning does not state that an internet connection is required to
> authenticate the single player game nor that you have to surrender your
> privacy to do so.

I'm really not a Steam fanatic, but I don't mind using it, either. But tell
me, what privacy did you surrender by using Steam? Oh, wait a minute. You
didn't buy it! So what privacy do you think you *would* have surrendered,
if you *would* have bought the game and (gasp) used Steam?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:00:12 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:02:04 GMT, "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

>"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:22:41 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
>>>difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
>>>(Steam) in order to patch their game.
>>
>> Actually, EQ2 and various other MMORPGs tend to follwo this system.
>
>I wasn't aware that MMORPG's had single-player components.

They do. You can see plenty of posts about "soloing" on the appropriate
newsgroups, especially on how limited it can be or why players chose to
solo over going with a group.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 9:23:46 PM

John Lewis wrote:

> Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
> $19.99.....

LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
doom & gloom laughed at so bad.
April 18, 2005 12:03:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Aldwyn Edain" wrote
> "DalienX" wrote

>>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
>>play the game like it is ment to be played.

> I have a fairly decent PC and cable connection but my ISP limits my
> download bandwidth to 10gb per month. I can't afford to waste that
> bandwidth on some stupid FPS game.

I wouldn't waste my money on a stupid FPS game full-stop.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 2:01:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:23:46 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>> Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
>> $19.99.....
>>

>LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
>doom & gloom laughed at so bad.

Hi..........
Nice to see that you are still around. Still haven't got over
your HL2 love-affair ? Played it through 30 times yet ? Gabe still
sending you a monthly retainer ?

John Lewis
April 18, 2005 2:23:53 PM

Aldwyn Edain wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:24:51 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
>>play the game like it is ment to be played.
>

> I have a fairly decent PC and cable connection but my ISP limits my
> download bandwidth to 10gb per month. I can't afford to waste that
> bandwidth on some stupid FPS game.

A "stupid" FPS game doesn't use near as much as cracnking down music and
movies.
A good long CS:S match gets me a couple hundgred megs download\upload
where as a 700 meg movie in under 3 hours really gets me close to my 10
Gb cap.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Shawk wrote:

> You need a connection while installing. You do not need one for playing
> the single player game. Did I mention that all updates are now
> available on a magazine DVD like other games?

Why are these not on fileplanet? I can download high speed here at the
university and then bring stuff for any game home to my computer. Why do
I have to buy a magazine DVD for HL2 only?

April 18, 2005 4:41:55 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, i own a yacht wrote:

> Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
>
> Because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet.

And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?
Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;) .

April 18, 2005 4:41:56 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:41:55 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?

Much as I like 3DGamers, it is becoming increasingly hard to find a
mirror that works. Personally I much prefer the Steam approach where
everything is done for me.

>Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
>as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;) .

With a lot of games these days developers/publishers are lucky to
break even let alone make large profits. Valves motives are perfectly
understandable.
April 18, 2005 5:36:56 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Andrew wrote:

> Much as I like 3DGamers, it is becoming increasingly hard to find a
> mirror that works.

I agree, but still this or fileplanet work well for me...

> Personally I much prefer the Steam approach where everything is done
> for me.

....while Steam does not, because I have dial up at home.

> With a lot of games these days developers/publishers are lucky to
> break even let alone make large profits. Valves motives are perfectly
> understandable.

Then Valve should have focused more on the game itself than on Steam which
could have prevented the long expensive delay and the disappointing game
HL2 itself...

April 18, 2005 5:36:57 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:36:56 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Then Valve should have focused more on the game itself than on Steam which
>could have prevented the long expensive delay and the disappointing game
>HL2 itself...

Ignoring your opinion that HL2 was disappointing which I certainly
don't agree with, you think the year delay was because of Steam? Try
reading the development interview with Gabe Newell.
April 18, 2005 6:38:09 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Andrew wrote:

> you think the year delay was because of Steam? Try reading the
> development interview with Gabe Newell.

I read it and got the following impression: Newell spend most of his time
concentrating on Steam and not really focusing on the advancement of the
game, while at the same time announcing the early shipment date. Then some
time before that date, he finally looked at all the stuff already done and
recognized it wasn't good enough, so the game was delayed. In my opinion,
he should have realized this earlier, but was too preoccupied with Steam.
Neither the programing of Steam itself or the code theft were responsible
for the delay but rather a CEO concentrating on the wrong stuff all along.

April 18, 2005 6:49:51 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 05:15:00 +0000 (UTC), Jones
<me@somewhereelse.co.ok.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:07:41 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
>wrote:
>
>>Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
>>brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
>>
>>The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
>>patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
>>cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
>>released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
>>
>>Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
>>
>>Let the flamewars begin ;-)
>
>wtf 4.5gb of updates,how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
>take up? i don't have hl2,and as my broadband is capped i don't
>think i would want to download the game and then 4 .5gb of updates on
>top..what is the total install size of the game plus updates? 7gigs
>plus?seems bloody huge.
6.76 gig which includes all the various games except HL:S, straight
after installation it was around 5 gig IIRC, the rest being downloads
of things like DOD, CS:S, HL:o F etc.
--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

John Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:23:46 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
>>>$19.99.....
>>>

>>LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
>>doom & gloom laughed at so bad.
>

> Hi..........
> Nice to see that you are still around. Still haven't got over
> your HL2 love-affair ? Played it through 30 times yet ? Gabe still
> sending you a monthly retainer ?
>
> John Lewis

No. Played it fully twice though : great game. You should try it instead
of pretending to have played it.

Gabe left me for you : said something about liking "bad boys".
April 19, 2005 4:24:23 AM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Shawk wrote:
>

>>You need a connection while installing. You do not need one for playing
>>the single player game. Did I mention that all updates are now
>>available on a magazine DVD like other games?
>

> Why are these not on fileplanet? I can download high speed here at the
> university and then bring stuff for any game home to my computer. Why do
> I have to buy a magazine DVD for HL2 only?

No idea. Didn't expect it to be released any way other than Steam but
for whatever reasons they did. Perhaps Fileplanet etc are next... who
knows.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:42:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:19:32 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:23:46 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
>>>doom & gloom laughed at so bad.
>>

>> Hi..........
>> Nice to see that you are still around. Still haven't got over
>> your HL2 love-affair ? Played it through 30 times yet ? Gabe still
>> sending you a monthly retainer ?
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

>No. Played it fully twice though : great game. You should try it instead
>of pretending to have played it.
>
>Gabe left me for you : said something about liking "bad boys".

Haven't seen him waddling up my driveway...will let you know
if/when I do.

John Lewis
April 19, 2005 10:35:25 AM

"Werner Spahl" wrote

> And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?
> Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
> as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;) .

Newsflash, Valve are in business to make money.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:18:45 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, rob wrote:

"Werner Spahl" wrote

> > And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?
> > Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
> > as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;) .
>
> Newsflash, Valve are in business to make money.

So making money and greed are the same ;) ?

April 19, 2005 6:18:46 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:18:45 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>So making money and greed are the same ;) ?

In capitalist society, pretty much yes. You think
developers/publishers sit down when planning a game and say "hey we
have this great idea for a game and hopefully after 5 years of
stressful development we will break even". Get real.
April 19, 2005 8:48:02 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Andrew wrote:

> You think developers/publishers sit down when planning a game and say
> "hey we have this great idea for a game and hopefully after 5 years of
> stressful development we will break even". Get real.

This is the way a lot of developer state it in interviews like how much
fun it is to make games and how much time they waste playing their own
game. However, I think Valve went too far by hurting their customers...

April 19, 2005 8:48:03 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:48:02 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>This is the way a lot of developer state it in interviews like how much
>fun it is to make games and how much time they waste playing their own
>game. However, I think Valve went too far by hurting their customers...

Games only become playable enough to be fun late on in the development
cycle, by which time the pressure is on to debug and finish the game,
not leaving much time at all for actually playing the game.
April 20, 2005 1:25:22 AM

Licensed frequency. It's ¤50 a month, which is marginally cheaper than
DSL here, and substantially faster. Constantly low pings, static IP and
plenty of upload bandwidth. Only thing is occasional weather-related
outages and having a big sail strapped to your chimney!

Civilian_Target

!