Valve & PC Gamer release patches

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games (More info?)

Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
brunt of the Valve/Steam debate

The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"

Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...

Let the flamewars begin ;-)

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
59 answers Last reply
More about valve gamer release patches
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Shawk wrote:
    > Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
    > brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
    >
    > The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
    > patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
    > cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
    > released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
    >
    > Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
    >
    > Let the flamewars begin ;-)
    >

    ....no point x-posting if you dont spell the ngs correctly...

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.
    You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    taming, say, via banking...
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games (More info?)

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    news:1113415652.51041.0@dyke.uk.clara.net...
    > Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the brunt
    > of the Valve/Steam debate
    >
    > The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
    > patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
    > cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was released
    > for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
    >
    > Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
    >
    > Let the flamewars begin ;-)

    Ooooooh no it isn't, or something...

    ;o)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    > take up?

    I have approx 10 Gigs here
    Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig

    SourceSDK_Content is using 800 Mb (work in progress, samples, extracted
    content etc)

    rgds
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in news:1113415652.51041.0
    @dyke.uk.clara.net:

    > Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
    > brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
    >
    > The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
    > patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
    > cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
    > released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
    >
    > Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
    >
    > Let the flamewars begin ;-)
    >

    I wish sayno was here to see this
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    > > how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    > > take up?
    >
    > I have approx 10 Gigs here
    > Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig

    I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
    month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to get
    it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at half
    the size it would take three months).

    Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of the
    size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail industry is
    still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:10:29 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
    wrote:

    >Shawk wrote:
    >> Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
    >> brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
    >>
    >> The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
    >> patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
    >> cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
    >> released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
    >>

    How about adding a Steam decryptor to the DVD as well.... So that
    those who have HL2 won't be using the CDs for wall-paper when Valve
    goes belly-up. Can't hurt Valve much, since sales of HL2 have slowed
    to a mere trickle.

    Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
    $19.99.....

    John Lewis


    >> Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
    >>
    >> Let the flamewars begin ;-)
    >>
    >
    >...no point x-posting if you dont spell the ngs correctly...
    >
    >--
    >It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    >taming in one go.
    >You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    >taming, say, via banking...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:07:41 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
    wrote:

    >Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
    >brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
    >
    >The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
    >patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
    >cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
    >released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
    >
    >Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
    >
    >Let the flamewars begin ;-)

    wtf 4.5gb of updates,how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    take up? i don't have hl2,and as my broadband is capped i don't
    think i would want to download the game and then 4 .5gb of updates on
    top..what is the total install size of the game plus updates? 7gigs
    plus?seems bloody huge.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    dr ratt wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:21:27 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >news:1113468489.774260.166030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    > >> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    > >>>> how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    > >>>> take up?
    > >>>
    > >>> I have approx 10 Gigs here
    > >>> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig
    > >>
    > >> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb
    per
    > >> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to
    get
    > >> it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at
    half
    > >> the size it would take three months).
    > >>
    > >> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication
    of
    > >> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
    > >> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
    > >
    > >Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I
    have
    > >a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
    > >McG.
    > >
    >
    > i have half megabit broadband and i downloaded 4gigabytes of movies
    > [not 'instructional' videos] from family in australia in less than
    > 24hrs.
    > my mother-in-law, whom the movies were for, would have used her whole
    > months allowance for this 1 task.
    > i pay £25 per month, she pays £18 per month - 3/4s the price for
    > 1/30th the service.
    > sayNOtocaps anyone?


    I pay £15.99 for Tiscali's 1mb service, capped at 2gb.
    Interestingly (or not - you be the judge) the Tiscali Broadband page is
    now carrying disclaimers about how that much is OK for regular users:

    "The average Tiscali Broadband customer uses less than 0.8GB usage
    allowance each month. Therefore, a 2GB monthly usage allowance is more
    than sufficient for the majority of users. "

    Sound like they're on the defensive, so maybe it's just a matter of
    time before they open this up a bit. I used to be on the 128mb service
    and they scrapped that and auto upgraded me to 256 at no cost. Then
    they scrapped that and I got upped again, so I think the cap will go
    soon.

    I don't dl films or even music, so a 2gb cap is fine for me.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Frode wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Chadwick wrote:
    > >"The average Tiscali Broadband customer uses less than 0.8GB usage
    > >allowance each month. Therefore, a 2GB monthly usage allowance is
    more
    > >than sufficient for the majority of users. "
    >
    > If we give that piece of logic a tiny twist, you end up with "The
    average
    > customer uses less than 0.8GB each month. Thus there is no need to
    put a
    > cap on traffic."

    But then the heavy downloaders would jump on board and the average
    usage would increase.

    The cap is there to make big downloaders pay more.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1113468489.774260.166030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    > Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >>> how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    >>> take up?
    >>
    >> I have approx 10 Gigs here
    >> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig
    >
    > I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
    > month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to get
    > it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at half
    > the size it would take three months).
    >
    > Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of
    > the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
    > industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.

    Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I have
    a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
    McG.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:21:27 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >news:1113468489.774260.166030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    >> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >>>> how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    >>>> take up?
    >>>
    >>> I have approx 10 Gigs here
    >>> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig
    >>
    >> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
    >> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to get
    >> it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at half
    >> the size it would take three months).
    >>
    >> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of
    >> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
    >> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
    >
    >Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I have
    >a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
    >McG.
    >

    i have half megabit broadband and i downloaded 4gigabytes of movies
    [not 'instructional' videos] from family in australia in less than
    24hrs.
    my mother-in-law, whom the movies were for, would have used her whole
    months allowance for this 1 task.
    i pay £25 per month, she pays £18 per month - 3/4s the price for
    1/30th the service.
    sayNOtocaps anyone?

    dr ratt
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Stoned Monkey wrote:

    > I wish sayno was here to see this

    Looks like his step-dad, John Lewis, filled in the void.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Chadwick wrote:
    >"The average Tiscali Broadband customer uses less than 0.8GB usage
    >allowance each month. Therefore, a 2GB monthly usage allowance is more
    >than sufficient for the majority of users. "

    If we give that piece of logic a tiny twist, you end up with "The average
    customer uses less than 0.8GB each month. Thus there is no need to put a
    cap on traffic."


    - --
    Frode


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.1

    iQA/AwUBQl6cCOXlGBWTt1afEQIAzQCdEvHWfVxluzYcMAjR8mU18YsVP7kAoJ3m
    TI/OyeLqU0ANvfXi/62LHqJW
    =lMOF
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Chadwick wrote:
    >But then the heavy downloaders would jump on board and the average
    >usage would increase.
    >The cap is there to make big downloaders pay more.

    Big downloaders will go with another service that charges them based on the
    bandwidth, not the traffic. Unless, of course, there's zero competition. In
    that case I can see how they manage to offer no unlimited service and still
    stay in business.

    That's not to say there isn't room for offering subscriptions with
    bandwidth caps. But that price point seems to indicate something's a bit
    out of whack.


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.1

    iQA/AwUBQl6jS+XlGBWTt1afEQKQkwCggk9kz7F2QUfqXt+txo5oHg28BSQAnA/+
    TFAjTmp8gvDaYdImSVB/v0Pc
    =zELE
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in
    news:mMqdnXUijOfXUMPfRVn-2w@giganews.com:

    > Stoned Monkey wrote:
    >
    >> I wish sayno was here to see this
    >
    > Looks like his step-dad, John Lewis, filled in the void.
    >
    >
    >

    lol looks like it
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:0cns511opabh4bfi2l9gph1h9r7v6d398i@4ax.com
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:21:27 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:1113468489.774260.166030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    >>> Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    >>>>> how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    >>>>> take up?
    >>>>
    >>>> I have approx 10 Gigs here
    >>>> Steam cache is ~ 6.5 Gig
    >>>
    >>> I never realised it was that big! My broadband is capped at 2gb per
    >>> month. If I were to buy HL2 over Steam it would take me months to
    >>> get it (obviously the install package wouldn't be 10gb, but even at
    >>> half the size it would take three months).
    >>>
    >>> Thank God they still sell it on a disk. If HL2 is any indication of
    >>> the size of a Big Name Game nowadays, then I think the retail
    >>> industry is still safe and SayNo can sleep at night.
    >>
    >> Whats the use of having bb if they put such a tight cap on you? I
    >> have a 5mbit connect and I've hit 2gb in a day many times.
    >> McG.
    >>
    >
    > i have half megabit broadband and i downloaded 4gigabytes of movies
    > [not 'instructional' videos] from family in australia in less than
    > 24hrs.
    > my mother-in-law, whom the movies were for, would have used her whole
    > months allowance for this 1 task.
    > i pay £25 per month, she pays £18 per month - 3/4s the price for
    > 1/30th the service.
    > sayNOtocaps anyone?
    >
    > dr ratt

    Ya sure got THAT right!!
    McG.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, DalienX wrote:

    > AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
    >
    > > a problem. And 4.5GB of patches you say? WTF? Are the patching the
    > > games or releasing a new ones?

    He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
    supposed to be included in this?

    > I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
    > play the game like it is ment to be played.

    Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:12:40 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, DalienX wrote:
    >
    >> AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
    >>
    >> > a problem. And 4.5GB of patches you say? WTF? Are the patching the
    >> > games or releasing a new ones?
    >
    >He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
    >supposed to be included in this?

    Probably the entire HL series. There's more to patching then just HL2,
    CS:S and other stuff. It might even contain a bit of DOD:S as well...

    >
    >> I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
    >> play the game like it is ment to be played.
    >
    >Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?

    I'm on dial-up. HL2 works fine for me, provided it doesn't crash because
    of a video card problem.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    news:VNP7e.1$67.0@fe20.usenetserver.com...
    > > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    > because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
    > again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
    > person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
    > need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
    > whining.

    Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
    difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
    (Steam) in order to patch their game. Patches which are standalone, able to
    be downloaded from anywhere and easily archived. Not the case with HL2,
    Valve adds unnecessary layers of complexity and hassle.

    This is what people are "whining" about and sending a strong signal that
    this not become a precident for future games.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in
    news:Pine.LNX.4.58.0504151009010.30624@cicum1.cup.uni-muenchen.de:

    > He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
    > supposed to be included in this?

    Spyware, of course. So Valve can rape your PC while you sleep. It's part of
    their secret world domination plan.

    --

    Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1113581507.430742.86750
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > * I think this is what he meant, rather than just a homophobic insult.
    > I could be wrong, but I try to think the best of people.

    LOL.

    --

    Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, DalienX wrote:
    >
    >
    >>AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>a problem. And 4.5GB of patches you say? WTF? Are the patching the
    >>>games or releasing a new ones?
    >
    >
    > He is right. 4.5 GB must have been more than all of HL2 together. What is
    > supposed to be included in this?

    It's over a GB more than the original retail HL2 DVD so I'm 'guessing'
    the whole game plus patches are on there (unlockable via Steam). Looked
    at the disc contents but they mean nothing to me hence the reason for
    'guessing'.

    >
    >>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
    >>play the game like it is ment to be played.
    >
    >
    > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >

    You need a connection while installing. You do not need one for playing
    the single player game. Did I mention that all updates are now
    available on a magazine DVD like other games?

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.
    You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    taming, say, via banking...
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >>
    >> Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >>
    >
    > You need a connection while installing.

    Since it's hard to play a game without installing, that pretty much blows it
    out of the water right there.

    > You do not need one for playing the single player game.

    I've already heard enough horror stories right here on this group about
    offline mode mysteriously "expiring" for no discernable reason and the
    single-player game refusing to play until you go online again (and download
    megabytes of patches you don't need) that I will no longer accept this
    statement.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    SpammersDie wrote:
    >>>Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >>>
    >>
    >>You need a connection while installing.
    >
    >
    > Since it's hard to play a game without installing, that pretty much blows it
    > out of the water right there.

    Fine.

    >
    >>You do not need one for playing the single player game.
    >
    >
    > I've already heard enough horror stories right here on this group about
    > offline mode mysteriously "expiring" for no discernable reason and the
    > single-player game refusing to play until you go online again (and download
    > megabytes of patches you don't need) that I will no longer accept this
    > statement.
    >

    Then you must have also read about the workarounds.


    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.
    You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    taming, say, via banking...
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:22:41 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
    wrote:

    >
    >"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >news:VNP7e.1$67.0@fe20.usenetserver.com...
    >> > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >> because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
    >> again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
    >> person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
    >> need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
    >> whining.
    >
    >Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
    >difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
    >(Steam) in order to patch their game.

    Actually, EQ2 and various other MMORPGs tend to follwo this system. While
    you could download and archive a standalone, there's almost no point in
    doing so since the client is only useful to connect to the server.

    Similar reasoning can apply to any game with a multiplayer component - you
    generally don't want old versions appearing on a tracker as it can make the
    game a compatability nightmare in some cases.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    news:et8261tokbgmhh3hksfdahhfhi99f2afqc@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:22:41 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>news:VNP7e.1$67.0@fe20.usenetserver.com...
    >>> > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >>> because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
    >>> again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
    >>> person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
    >>> need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
    >>> whining.
    >>
    >>Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
    >>difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
    >>(Steam) in order to patch their game.
    >
    > Actually, EQ2 and various other MMORPGs tend to follwo this system.

    I wasn't aware that MMORPG's had single-player components.

    If you only want to cater to the needs of multiplayer fans, then make a
    multiplayer-only game.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:24:51 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
    wrote:


    >I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
    >play the game like it is ment to be played.

    I have a fairly decent PC and cable connection but my ISP limits my
    download bandwidth to 10gb per month. I can't afford to waste that
    bandwidth on some stupid FPS game.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message
    news:11629t34l3or106@news.supernews.com...
    >
    >snip<
    > The warning does not state that an internet connection is required to
    > authenticate the single player game nor that you have to surrender your
    > privacy to do so.

    I'm really not a Steam fanatic, but I don't mind using it, either. But tell
    me, what privacy did you surrender by using Steam? Oh, wait a minute. You
    didn't buy it! So what privacy do you think you *would* have surrendered,
    if you *would* have bought the game and (gasp) used Steam?
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:02:04 GMT, "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

    >
    >"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    >news:et8261tokbgmhh3hksfdahhfhi99f2afqc@4ax.com...
    >> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:22:41 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>>news:VNP7e.1$67.0@fe20.usenetserver.com...
    >>>> > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >>>> because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet. why
    >>>> again do valve need to limit their technology because not every single
    >>>> person in the entire world will be able to utilize it? why again do i
    >>>> need a contemporary PC to play doom 3? etc. you have no point. quit
    >>>> whining.
    >>>
    >>>Every game other than HL2 releases patches via the internet as well. The
    >>>difference is that they do not require you to be logged into their system
    >>>(Steam) in order to patch their game.
    >>
    >> Actually, EQ2 and various other MMORPGs tend to follwo this system.
    >
    >I wasn't aware that MMORPG's had single-player components.

    They do. You can see plenty of posts about "soloing" on the appropriate
    newsgroups, especially on how limited it can be or why players chose to
    solo over going with a group.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    >
    > Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
    > $19.99.....
    >

    LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
    doom & gloom laughed at so bad.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Aldwyn Edain" wrote
    > "DalienX" wrote

    >>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
    >>play the game like it is ment to be played.

    > I have a fairly decent PC and cable connection but my ISP limits my
    > download bandwidth to 10gb per month. I can't afford to waste that
    > bandwidth on some stupid FPS game.

    I wouldn't waste my money on a stupid FPS game full-stop.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:23:46 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >> Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
    >> $19.99.....
    >>
    >
    >LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
    >doom & gloom laughed at so bad.

    Hi..........
    Nice to see that you are still around. Still haven't got over
    your HL2 love-affair ? Played it through 30 times yet ? Gabe still
    sending you a monthly retainer ?

    John Lewis
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Aldwyn Edain wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:24:51 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>I pity those who cant afford a decent computer and decent connection to
    >>play the game like it is ment to be played.
    >
    >
    > I have a fairly decent PC and cable connection but my ISP limits my
    > download bandwidth to 10gb per month. I can't afford to waste that
    > bandwidth on some stupid FPS game.

    A "stupid" FPS game doesn't use near as much as cracnking down music and
    movies.
    A good long CS:S match gets me a couple hundgred megs download\upload
    where as a 700 meg movie in under 3 hours really gets me close to my 10
    Gb cap.

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Shawk wrote:

    > You need a connection while installing. You do not need one for playing
    > the single player game. Did I mention that all updates are now
    > available on a magazine DVD like other games?

    Why are these not on fileplanet? I can download high speed here at the
    university and then bring stuff for any game home to my computer. Why do
    I have to buy a magazine DVD for HL2 only?

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, i own a yacht wrote:

    > Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
    >
    > > Why again do we need a decent connection to play a singleplayer game?
    >
    > Because valve choose to deliver and support it via the internet.

    And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?
    Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
    as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;).

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:41:55 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?

    Much as I like 3DGamers, it is becoming increasingly hard to find a
    mirror that works. Personally I much prefer the Steam approach where
    everything is done for me.

    >Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
    >as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;).

    With a lot of games these days developers/publishers are lucky to
    break even let alone make large profits. Valves motives are perfectly
    understandable.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Andrew wrote:

    > Much as I like 3DGamers, it is becoming increasingly hard to find a
    > mirror that works.

    I agree, but still this or fileplanet work well for me...

    > Personally I much prefer the Steam approach where everything is done
    > for me.

    ....while Steam does not, because I have dial up at home.

    > With a lot of games these days developers/publishers are lucky to
    > break even let alone make large profits. Valves motives are perfectly
    > understandable.

    Then Valve should have focused more on the game itself than on Steam which
    could have prevented the long expensive delay and the disappointing game
    HL2 itself...

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:36:56 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >Then Valve should have focused more on the game itself than on Steam which
    >could have prevented the long expensive delay and the disappointing game
    >HL2 itself...

    Ignoring your opinion that HL2 was disappointing which I certainly
    don't agree with, you think the year delay was because of Steam? Try
    reading the development interview with Gabe Newell.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Andrew wrote:

    > you think the year delay was because of Steam? Try reading the
    > development interview with Gabe Newell.

    I read it and got the following impression: Newell spend most of his time
    concentrating on Steam and not really focusing on the advancement of the
    game, while at the same time announcing the early shipment date. Then some
    time before that date, he finally looked at all the stuff already done and
    recognized it wasn't good enough, so the game was delayed. In my opinion,
    he should have realized this earlier, but was too preoccupied with Steam.
    Neither the programing of Steam itself or the code theft were responsible
    for the delay but rather a CEO concentrating on the wrong stuff all along.

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 05:15:00 +0000 (UTC), Jones
    <me@somewhereelse.co.ok.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:07:41 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Apologies for the x-post but these two groups seem to have borne the
    >>brunt of the Valve/Steam debate
    >>
    >>The latest UK DVD Edition of PC Gamer (May) has 4.5GB of HL2 and CS:S
    >>patches and updates including the bots for CS:S - in fact the full Steam
    >>cache as available at whatever point the DVD was burned. It was
    >>released for "everyone who is struggling to download the files online"
    >>
    >>Seems like Valve *does* listen to gamers...
    >>
    >>Let the flamewars begin ;-)
    >
    >wtf 4.5gb of updates,how much hd space does the game, hl2 and cs:s
    >take up? i don't have hl2,and as my broadband is capped i don't
    >think i would want to download the game and then 4 .5gb of updates on
    >top..what is the total install size of the game plus updates? 7gigs
    >plus?seems bloody huge.
    6.76 gig which includes all the various games except HL:S, straight
    after installation it was around 5 gig IIRC, the rest being downloads
    of things like DOD, CS:S, HL:OF etc.
    --
    ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
    systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
    Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
    (Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:23:46 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>John Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
    >>>$19.99.....
    >>>
    >>
    >>LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
    >>doom & gloom laughed at so bad.
    >
    >
    > Hi..........
    > Nice to see that you are still around. Still haven't got over
    > your HL2 love-affair ? Played it through 30 times yet ? Gabe still
    > sending you a monthly retainer ?
    >
    > John Lewis
    >

    No. Played it fully twice though : great game. You should try it instead
    of pretending to have played it.

    Gabe left me for you : said something about liking "bad boys".
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Shawk wrote:
    >
    >
    >>You need a connection while installing. You do not need one for playing
    >>the single player game. Did I mention that all updates are now
    >>available on a magazine DVD like other games?
    >
    >
    > Why are these not on fileplanet? I can download high speed here at the
    > university and then bring stuff for any game home to my computer. Why do
    > I have to buy a magazine DVD for HL2 only?
    >

    No idea. Didn't expect it to be released any way other than Steam but
    for whatever reasons they did. Perhaps Fileplanet etc are next... who
    knows.

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.
    You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
    taming, say, via banking...
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:19:32 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:23:46 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>John Lewis wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Can't be long now until the Steam-less GOTY edition of HL2 at
    >>>>$19.99.....
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>LOL. Still hoping eh? Jesus it must hurt to have all your predictions of
    >>>doom & gloom laughed at so bad.
    >>
    >>
    >> Hi..........
    >> Nice to see that you are still around. Still haven't got over
    >> your HL2 love-affair ? Played it through 30 times yet ? Gabe still
    >> sending you a monthly retainer ?
    >>
    >> John Lewis
    >>
    >
    >No. Played it fully twice though : great game. You should try it instead
    >of pretending to have played it.
    >
    >Gabe left me for you : said something about liking "bad boys".

    Haven't seen him waddling up my driveway...will let you know
    if/when I do.

    John Lewis
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Werner Spahl" wrote

    > And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?
    > Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
    > as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;).

    Newsflash, Valve are in business to make money.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, rob wrote:

    "Werner Spahl" wrote
    >
    > > And why do they do that, when 3dgamers works fine for all other games?
    > > Because they want to cut out the distributers and the second hand market
    > > as well, and the only reason I can think off is GREED, GREED, GREED ;).
    >
    > Newsflash, Valve are in business to make money.

    So making money and greed are the same ;)?

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:18:45 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >So making money and greed are the same ;)?

    In capitalist society, pretty much yes. You think
    developers/publishers sit down when planning a game and say "hey we
    have this great idea for a game and hopefully after 5 years of
    stressful development we will break even". Get real.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Andrew wrote:

    > You think developers/publishers sit down when planning a game and say
    > "hey we have this great idea for a game and hopefully after 5 years of
    > stressful development we will break even". Get real.

    This is the way a lot of developer state it in interviews like how much
    fun it is to make games and how much time they waste playing their own
    game. However, I think Valve went too far by hurting their customers...

    --
    Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:48:02 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >This is the way a lot of developer state it in interviews like how much
    >fun it is to make games and how much time they waste playing their own
    >game. However, I think Valve went too far by hurting their customers...

    Games only become playable enough to be fun late on in the development
    cycle, by which time the pressure is on to debug and finish the game,
    not leaving much time at all for actually playing the game.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Licensed frequency. It's ¤50 a month, which is marginally cheaper than
    DSL here, and substantially faster. Constantly low pings, static IP and
    plenty of upload bandwidth. Only thing is occasional weather-related
    outages and having a big sail strapped to your chimney!

    Civilian_Target

    Jethro wrote:
    > Is this Wi-Fi or licensed frequency?
    > There wer 2 companies around. One seeling cehaper Wi-Fi (8 kms range)
    > froma mini-node to their main tower.
    > Didn't like path it was taking.
    > I found a "local" company (local is in they are 100kms away and I'm
    > 30Kms from their tower but since it's all their own frequency they got
    > the reach and NO interference.
    > Unfortunately costs go UP then. Ouch...
Ask a new question

Read More

Valve Games Video Games