I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 3:02:17 AM

I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:

requirements:
1)A storage unit-system
2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture of
eg. a specific raid controller would help)

Thanks in advance guys.

ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system (the
only custom solution I've found up to now)
November 24, 2004 3:02:18 AM

Giorgos P. wrote:
> I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)
>
> Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:
>
> requirements:
> 1)A storage unit-system
> 2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
> 3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
> 4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture of
> eg. a specific raid controller would help)
>
> Thanks in advance guys.
>
> ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system (the
> only custom solution I've found up to now)

How many millions of dollars do you have in your budget?

a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 3:02:18 AM

"Giorgos P." <gpouikli@ee.duth.gr> wrote in message

> I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

Do tell us where is all that data coming from? Try CERN they have some
interesting storage problems :-)

180MByte/sec is the fastest I could Google quickly...
www.max-t.com/downloads/SH_NAS_DataSheet30829L.pdf

>ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system....

You will need to be an expert to set up _any_ system that comes close to
that spec.
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 2:47:04 PM

Previously Giorgos P. <gpouikli@ee.duth.gr> wrote:

> I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

> Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:

> requirements:
> 1)A storage unit-system
> 2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
> 3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
> 4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture of
> eg. a specific raid controller would help)

> Thanks in advance guys.

> ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system (the
> only custom solution I've found up to now)

RAID will not help much. Netwiorking is your bottleneck here. You
could put e.g. 3 * 70GB Ultra160-SCSI disks into a computer with SCSI
and GB ethernet on PCI-X. That should give you about 80 MB/s or so
sustained data rate. Then replicate that 100 times and you get about
the speed and capacity you want. In addition you need to somehow get
the data into the 100 GB-Ethernet lines and split if for the different
machines. If your data is one stream, I think that will need
full-custom hardware.

No idea what this would cost. Computers and disk maybe 0.5-1 Million.
The networking hardware that splits the data-stream may cost
significantly more, since it will likely have to be designed
from scratch.

Arno
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 6:08:45 PM

Giorgos P. wrote:

> I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)
>
> Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:
>
> requirements:
> 1)A storage unit-system
> 2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
> 3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
> 4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture
> of eg. a specific raid controller would help)
>
> Thanks in advance guys.
>
> ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system
> (the only custom solution I've found up to now)

If you do manage to setup a system like this, we want to see some
pictures! :)
--
I win!

"Yeah dad, we'd rather have a live pussy mincing around the house than a
dead hero anyday!"
- Bart Simpson
!