I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:

requirements:
1)A storage unit-system
2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture of
eg. a specific raid controller would help)

Thanks in advance guys.

ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system (the
only custom solution I've found up to now)
4 answers Last reply
More about solution fast storage gbyte

    Giorgos P. wrote:
    > I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:
    >
    > requirements:
    > 1)A storage unit-system
    > 2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
    > 3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
    > 4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture of
    > eg. a specific raid controller would help)
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys.
    >
    > ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system (the
    > only custom solution I've found up to now)

    How many millions of dollars do you have in your budget?

    "Giorgos P." <gpouikli@ee.duth.gr> wrote in message

    > I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

    Do tell us where is all that data coming from? Try CERN they have some
    interesting storage problems :-)

    180MByte/sec is the fastest I could Google quickly...
    www.max-t.com/downloads/SH_NAS_DataSheet30829L.pdf

    >ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system....

    You will need to be an expert to set up _any_ system that comes close to
    that spec.

    Previously Giorgos P. <gpouikli@ee.duth.gr> wrote:

    > I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)

    > Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:

    > requirements:
    > 1)A storage unit-system
    > 2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
    > 3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
    > 4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture of
    > eg. a specific raid controller would help)

    > Thanks in advance guys.

    > ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system (the
    > only custom solution I've found up to now)

    RAID will not help much. Netwiorking is your bottleneck here. You
    could put e.g. 3 * 70GB Ultra160-SCSI disks into a computer with SCSI
    and GB ethernet on PCI-X. That should give you about 80 MB/s or so
    sustained data rate. Then replicate that 100 times and you get about
    the speed and capacity you want. In addition you need to somehow get
    the data into the 100 GB-Ethernet lines and split if for the different
    machines. If your data is one stream, I think that will need
    full-custom hardware.

    No idea what this would cost. Computers and disk maybe 0.5-1 Million.
    The networking hardware that splits the data-stream may cost
    significantly more, since it will likely have to be designed
    from scratch.

    Arno

    Giorgos P. wrote:

    > I need a solution for really fast storage (GByte/sec)
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution to the following problem:
    >
    > requirements:
    > 1)A storage unit-system
    > 2)with a data transfer rate of up to 5 GByte/sec (yes that is Giga)
    > 3)Storage capacity of up to 20 TByte.
    > 4)Preferably an off the self solution (though suggesting an architecture
    > of eg. a specific raid controller would help)
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys.
    >
    > ps. by the way do you have to be like an expert to set up a raid system
    > (the only custom solution I've found up to now)

    If you do manage to setup a system like this, we want to see some
    pictures! :)
    --
    I win!

    "Yeah dad, we'd rather have a live pussy mincing around the house than a
    dead hero anyday!"
    - Bart Simpson

Hardware NAS / RAID Storage