Is there imaging s/w that like this?

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 12:12:22 AM

Is there a disk imaging proggie where I can:

1. Make a bootable DVD disk, _not_ a rewritable but a standard - or + DVD
(not CD) disk.

2. Put a recoverable_complete_ image of my hd (size is <4 gigs) _not_ parsed
out in separate 1.9 gig sections but a complete, full image of my hard
drive, on that boot disk.

3. Be able to insert that disk, re-boot my computer, have a menu come up
giving me the option to format my hard drive.

4. Put the image on that newly formatted hard drive without a hundred dialog
boxes.

5. Not require any other programs such as Nero, DirectCD, WinIso, IsoBuster
etc. to function correctly.

5. Not require the use of the .NET framework (that's what ruled out Norton's
Ghost).

I have just tried and deleted True Image because it, for whatever reason,
won't write to a DVD-R or DVD+R, but only to a RW and then it must be UDF
formatted, evidently with DirectCD because it won't recognize a UDF
formatted disk that I did with Nero. I don't want to use an RW because in
6-9 months when I need it, it probably won't be able to be read. Had that
happen with a CD-RW several years ago and vowed I'd _never_ use a RW for a
drive image again.

I'm looking at BootIT Next Generation but not sure about the company and
don't want to shell out $50, yet again, to do an evaluation and find it
won't do those five things. Got an email out to them but haven't received a
response yet.

I have just now re-installed XP and my base programs, configured the GUI the
way I want it and customized the programs the way I want them. All I want to
do is get an imaging program to put a image of my current hd on a bootable
DVD, let me insert that DVD in 6-8 months, get an option to format the hd in
NTFS and then install the image on the hd without a bunch of handholding,
selection boxes, install options, etc. Surely, that's not asking too much
but damned if I can find any program that'll let me do that.

Any recommendations appreciated!

More about : imaging

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 12:28:46 AM

Chuck U. Farley wrote:

> I have just tried and deleted True Image because it, for whatever reason,
> won't write to a DVD-R or DVD+R, but only to a RW and then it must be UDF
> formatted, evidently with DirectCD because it won't recognize a UDF
> formatted disk that I did with Nero. I don't want to use an RW because in
> 6-9 months when I need it, it probably won't be able to be read. Had that
> happen with a CD-RW several years ago and vowed I'd _never_ use a RW for a
> drive image again.

I use True Image in conjunction with Nero. Works great. You can do
pretty much any of the items that you listed.

--
-WD
November 24, 2004 12:42:20 AM

That can be acomplished with Ghost and CD/DVD writing software, you just
need to do a proper planning and some assembly.
There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).
You do not even have to format your hard disk.
I would put a single, clear warning what that DVD is going to do to your
system, requiring to type a full word like "yes" or "agree" before it starts
to image your hard drive.

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
> Is there a disk imaging proggie where I can:
>
> 1. Make a bootable DVD disk, _not_ a rewritable but a standard - or + DVD
> (not CD) disk.
>
> 2. Put a recoverable_complete_ image of my hd (size is <4 gigs) _not_
parsed
> out in separate 1.9 gig sections but a complete, full image of my hard
> drive, on that boot disk.
>
> 3. Be able to insert that disk, re-boot my computer, have a menu come up
> giving me the option to format my hard drive.
>
> 4. Put the image on that newly formatted hard drive without a hundred
dialog
> boxes.
>
> 5. Not require any other programs such as Nero, DirectCD, WinIso,
IsoBuster
> etc. to function correctly.
>

> 5. Not require the use of the .NET framework (that's what ruled out
Norton's
> Ghost).
>
> I have just tried and deleted True Image because it, for whatever reason,
> won't write to a DVD-R or DVD+R, but only to a RW and then it must be UDF
> formatted, evidently with DirectCD because it won't recognize a UDF
> formatted disk that I did with Nero. I don't want to use an RW because in
> 6-9 months when I need it, it probably won't be able to be read. Had that
> happen with a CD-RW several years ago and vowed I'd _never_ use a RW for a
> drive image again.
>
> I'm looking at BootIT Next Generation but not sure about the company and
> don't want to shell out $50, yet again, to do an evaluation and find it
> won't do those five things. Got an email out to them but haven't received
> response yet.
>
> I have just now re-installed XP and my base programs, configured the GUI
the
> way I want it and customized the programs the way I want them. All I want
> do is get an imaging program to put a image of my current hd on a bootable
> DVD, let me insert that DVD in 6-8 months, get an option to format the hd
in
> NTFS and then install the image on the hd without a bunch of handholding,
> selection boxes, install options, etc. Surely, that's not asking too much
> but damned if I can find any program that'll let me do that.
>
> Any recommendations appreciated!

a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 2:25:00 AM

> I use True Image in conjunction with Nero. Works great. You can do
> pretty much any of the items that you listed.

So you can write direct to a DVD +R or -R? That's interesting. See here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=264750#...

where it says " If you read the FAQs in the TI User's Guide you'll see that
TI only writes direct to DVD+/-RW provided you have a compatible UDF packet
writing program running and the DVD has been UDF formatted. However, it goes
on to say that DVD-/+R formatting is currently only supported by Roxio
DirectCD so it seems it may be possible to image direct to DVD-/+R if you
have that particular software installed. I don't, so I'm unable to confirm
this point."

in addition to:

I've also concluded that you can't burn direct to DVD (any format) if TI is
running in boot rescue mode. See
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/show...4674#post264674 for further details.

Also, and I think this might be your post, as the names seem oddly similar:

where the author describes this process in order to make a bootable "rescue"
DVD:

This is an updated version of a post that I had made a short while ago.

Several people have asked, so here is how you can create a bootable rescue
DVD that also contains the TIB files.

1. Back up your system with TrueImage, and specify a 635MB image size. This
will give you the best space usage on the DVD, and also give you the option
of copying your images to CD if you're the masochistic type.
2. Create a Bootable Rescue CD using the Acronis software.
3. Install and open WinISO
4. In WinISO, click Actions -> Make ISO from CDROM, and save that ISO
somewhere.
5. Open that image file using WinISO
6. Save boot information to a file called "trueimg.wbt"
(Click "Bootable CD" in the lower left corner, and then select "Save boot
information to file...")
7. Get CD Shell and BCDW and extract it to a directory somewhere. Whatever
this location is, I will refer to it as [cdshell] from now on. For example,
replace [cdshell] with "c:\cdshell" if that's where you put it.
Now you're ready to create the bootable DVD.

8. Open Nero and create a new DVD-ROM (Boot) project.
9. On the Boot tab, select Image file, and select the file
[cdshell]\boot\loader.bin
10. Use the "No Emulation" setting, and the number of loaded sectors
should be 4. (Other values should be left at the default)
11. Create a DVD directory structure like this (TIB files in the root, and
two subdirectories called "boot" and "acronis"):

/ (root) (Put your TIB files here)

| + BOOT (Drag the contents of "boot" directory from your [cdshell]
directory here)

| + ACRONIS (put the trueimg.wbt file here)

That process kinda negates numbers 5 in my original post. <g> And unless you
are using a DVD -R or +R rather than a RW, that kinda negates number 1 in my
original post.

Judging by that forum, and I realize that it, like Usenet, is by it's very
nature where people go when they're having trouble, I think I made the right
decision to uninstall the s/w. I'm glad it works for you, but on my
standard, plain vanilla Dell box with a fresh install of XP only hours old,
the s/w simply will _not_ burn an image DVD, bootable or not as I put in
this post:

And 8 hours later there's no response from their tech support on that forum,
which speaks volumes afaic.

The search continues.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 2:33:41 AM

> That can be acomplished with Ghost and CD/DVD writing software, you just
> need to do a proper planning and some assembly.

Ghost 9 requires the .NET framework, which is one of the causes (along with
SP2) of my having to re-format and re-install. I will avoid that at all
costs as long as I can. I'm trying to find an old copy of Drive Image before
the Symantec buyout to evaluate.

> There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
> image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).

This is what had me worried about the 1.9 gig limitation with True Image as
one of the purposes of what I'm trying to accomplish is to not have to sit
and feed disks and and answer dialog boxes just to install XP. If I wanted
to do that, I'd just do what I did last night, format and re-install XP and
all of my programs. <g>

> You do not even have to format your hard disk.

But that's the point of what I'm doing. I evaluate a large number of
programs of various kinds so subsequently I install and uninstall a bunch of
them and after a while, no matter how meticulous I am in weeding out the
detritus of "uninstalled" programs from the registry, my sytem eventually
gets hinkey.

> I would put a single, clear warning what that DVD is going to do to your
> system, requiring to type a full word like "yes" or "agree" before it
starts
> to image your hard drive.

The problem is finding a program to create that DVD, not what it's going to
do after I have it. <vbg>

Thanks for your input.
November 24, 2004 3:01:18 AM

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
news:D 9Uod.50927$IQ.13981@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> > That can be acomplished with Ghost and CD/DVD writing software, you just
> > need to do a proper planning and some assembly.
>
> Ghost 9 requires the .NET framework, which is one of the causes (along
with
> SP2) of my having to re-format and re-install. I will avoid that at all
> costs as long as I can. I'm trying to find an old copy of Drive Image
before
> the Symantec buyout to evaluate.

I do not consider Symantec Ghost 9 as a Ghost product, it is Symantec
DriveImage release.
Lets stick to Ghost 8.0 and Ghost 2003.

> > There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
> > image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).
>
> This is what had me worried about the 1.9 gig limitation with True Image
as
> one of the purposes of what I'm trying to accomplish is to not have to sit
> and feed disks and and answer dialog boxes just to install XP. If I wanted
> to do that, I'd just do what I did last night, format and re-install XP
and
> all of my programs. <g>

Yes, Ghost can run multiple image segments without prompting.

> > You do not even have to format your hard disk.
>
> But that's the point of what I'm doing. I evaluate a large number of
> programs of various kinds so subsequently I install and uninstall a bunch
of
> them and after a while, no matter how meticulous I am in weeding out the
> detritus of "uninstalled" programs from the registry, my sytem eventually
> gets hinkey.

Ghost image restore can completely overwrite your hard disk partitions and
restore original partitions and filesystems you had when you saved disk
image.

> > I would put a single, clear warning what that DVD is going to do to your
> > system, requiring to type a full word like "yes" or "agree" before it
> starts
> > to image your hard drive.
>
> The problem is finding a program to create that DVD, not what it's going
> do after I have it. <vbg>

I doubt you find a program to do exactly what you want, but you can achieve
your goal by performing a relative small numbers of steps to create such DVD
disk.
Then, you will have a completely hands free restore procedure.

> Thanks for your input.

No problem.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 3:30:24 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:33:41 -0500, "Chuck U. Farley"
<chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote:

>> There is no need to worry about multiple image segments, as long as the
>> image installation runs uninterrupted (no prompts).
>
>This is what had me worried about the 1.9 gig limitation with True Image as
>one of the purposes of what I'm trying to accomplish is to not have to sit
>and feed disks and and answer dialog boxes just to install XP. If I wanted
>to do that, I'd just do what I did last night, format and re-install XP and
>all of my programs. <g>

I can see your point, but this is still much faster than re-installing
XP, all patches, and all your programs, IME. It's the difference
between 20-30 minutes and several hours.

I use a different approach to accomplish nearly the same thing, since
TI uses a separate process to make the boot disk and the image disk,
and I'm not interested in spending the time to integrate them.

I image directly to an external HD, which has the benefits of being
able to keep multiple images in one place (I support several different
laptops and desktops) and is much faster for both imaging and
restoring than a DVD. It takes me less than 10 minutes to image or
restore a basic install with the HD.

I also keep the images under 1.9G, which TI spans automatically on
restore if they're on the same media. TI7 let you set a 4.3G chunk,
but they removed that capability in TI8 for some reason. I burn these
to DVD for backup, and you can use them for a 2 disk recovery - boot
to the recovery CD, then restore from the DVD. I haven't done this
yet, since the HD is much faster and has worked for me every time, but
it's not as portable.

YMMV, as always, but this works well for me. TI7/8 have saved me
hundreds of hours and much hair-pulling over the last year or so.

a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 3:40:24 PM

Imaging programs, when restoring, format the HD partition without a prompt.
You're out of luck at the outset.

The other problem seems to be the UDF format thing. Need to burn in ISO
9660 format instead.

Boot DVDs/CDs can be made with Nero etc. If left open, the required
programs and files can be burned as well. These will appear as a non-A
drive stuff, IE the normal DVD access drive letter when booting from the
DVD. Then close session.

NET framework is only required for saving an image of open system files on a
boot partition. Restoration of a DVD image files(s), not needed. The DI
7.0/7.01, Ghost 9.0 DVDs are bootable and run in a modified XP environment.
"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
> Is there a disk imaging proggie where I can:
>
> 1. Make a bootable DVD disk, _not_ a rewritable but a standard - or + DVD
> (not CD) disk.
>
> 2. Put a recoverable_complete_ image of my hd (size is <4 gigs) _not_
parsed
> out in separate 1.9 gig sections but a complete, full image of my hard
> drive, on that boot disk.
>
> 3. Be able to insert that disk, re-boot my computer, have a menu come up
> giving me the option to format my hard drive.
>
> 4. Put the image on that newly formatted hard drive without a hundred
dialog
> boxes.
>
> 5. Not require any other programs such as Nero, DirectCD, WinIso,
IsoBuster
> etc. to function correctly.
>

> 5. Not require the use of the .NET framework (that's what ruled out
Norton's
> Ghost).
>
> I have just tried and deleted True Image because it, for whatever reason,
> won't write to a DVD-R or DVD+R, but only to a RW and then it must be UDF
> formatted, evidently with DirectCD because it won't recognize a UDF
> formatted disk that I did with Nero. I don't want to use an RW because in
> 6-9 months when I need it, it probably won't be able to be read. Had that
> happen with a CD-RW several years ago and vowed I'd _never_ use a RW for a
> drive image again.
>
> I'm looking at BootIT Next Generation but not sure about the company and
> don't want to shell out $50, yet again, to do an evaluation and find it
> won't do those five things. Got an email out to them but haven't received
> response yet.
>
> I have just now re-installed XP and my base programs, configured the GUI
the
> way I want it and customized the programs the way I want them. All I want
> do is get an imaging program to put a image of my current hd on a bootable
> DVD, let me insert that DVD in 6-8 months, get an option to format the hd
in
> NTFS and then install the image on the hd without a bunch of handholding,
> selection boxes, install options, etc. Surely, that's not asking too much
> but damned if I can find any program that'll let me do that.
>
> Any recommendations appreciated!

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 6:59:10 PM

Chuck U. Farley wrote:

> Is there a disk imaging proggie where I can:
>
> 1. Make a bootable DVD disk, _not_ a rewritable but a standard - or + DVD
> (not CD) disk.
>
> 2. Put a recoverable_complete_ image of my hd (size is <4 gigs) _not_ parsed
> out in separate 1.9 gig sections but a complete, full image of my hard
> drive, on that boot disk.
>
> 3. Be able to insert that disk, re-boot my computer, have a menu come up
> giving me the option to format my hard drive.
>
> 4. Put the image on that newly formatted hard drive without a hundred dialog
> boxes.
>
> 5. Not require any other programs such as Nero, DirectCD, WinIso, IsoBuster
> etc. to function correctly.
>

> 5. Not require the use of the .NET framework (that's what ruled out Norton's
> Ghost).

Ghost 2003 can burn directly to DVD burners, but you'll need a boot
floppy CD to startup.

If you backup the partition to another HD partition, or external
device, you can then burn that Ghost image to a bootable, scripted DVD
disc that will do the menuing and formatting.

---

Doesn't Nero come with it's own bootable, HD backup making program?
Thought I used that years ago and that seemed to work on a laptop.

----
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 7:35:20 PM

> Lets stick to Ghost 8.0 and Ghost 2003.

Ok

> Yes, Ghost can run multiple image segments without prompting.

Alright!

> Ghost image restore can completely overwrite your hard disk partitions and
> restore original partitions and filesystems you had when you saved disk
> image.

That takes requirement 3 out of the equation. I don't really need an option
not to format as that's what I always want it to do.

> I doubt you find a program to do exactly what you want, but you can
achieve
> your goal by performing a relative small numbers of steps to create such
DVD
> disk.
> Then, you will have a completely hands free restore procedure.

I take it since 8.0/2003 doesn't use the .NET trash, it reboots into DOS and
performs it's thing from there. Since doing the image from directly in XP
isn't a requirement for me, this sounds like as close as I can get to what I
want.

One last question, 8.0/2003 does support DVD's as well as CD's, correct? It
looks like I can still find a copy of Ghost 2003 via the WWW, so as long as
it can write to DVD's, that's the way I'm going to go. Thanks for your
assistance.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 7:40:51 PM

> YMMV, as always, but this works well for me. TI7/8 have saved me
> hundreds of hours and much hair-pulling over the last year or so.

Sounds like TI7 would have been close to what I want but the fact that TI8
can't, at least on my machine, burn to a DVD-/DVD+R or to a Nero UDF
formatted RW completely rules it out for me. For me, it's $50 USD down the
drain.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 8:14:19 PM

> I do not consider Symantec Ghost 9 as a Ghost product, it is Symantec
> DriveImage release.
> Lets stick to Ghost 8.0 and Ghost 2003.

Ahh that explains an awful lot. We recently purchased another copy of Ghost
(as we wanted another license) and was surprised with the product that
arrived. I agree, Ghost 9 is not what most traditional users of Ghost would
recognise. I like the idea of on-the-fly hard disk imaging but call me old
fashioned but I just don't trust it :-)

Fortunately, Ghost 9 comes with a copy of Ghost 2003 as well which has all
our old favourite tools like GHOST.EXE and GDISK.EXE.

I didn't know there had been a deal on DriveImage - have they bought the
company?

Cheers, Rob.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 8:14:20 PM

"Rob Nicholson" wrote:
> I didn't know there had been a deal on DriveImage - have they bought the
> company?

Yes, Symantec "acquired" PowerQuest. See http://www.powerquest.com/ .

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2004 8:19:13 PM

> Imaging programs, when restoring, format the HD partition without a
prompt.
> You're out of luck at the outset.

Alternatively, GHOST direct onto CD-RW. Can Ghost 2003 write to DVD-RW? If
so, then this would be even better as with CD-R/CD-RW, it usually takes a
lot of CDs :-)

Cheers, Rob.
November 24, 2004 9:55:27 PM

Well, Symantec Ghost 2003 (and 8.0) are not so great in terms of DVD or CD-R
drives support. If you do not have a drive listed on their site, chances are
50-50 that is going to work.
http://tinyurl.com/4vda8
And, they do not support DVD-RW.

The simplest approach to what you want to do is:
1. Boot PC in Windows, install Ghost.
Create CD/DVD Startup floppy disk Ghost.exe.
2. Boot your PC with that floppy.
Use Ghost to image your disk to DVD.

Now, verify your disk image stored on DVD.
3. Start PC in Windows.
Use ghost explorer to extract files from image on DVD, that is the simplest
verification.

You can uninstall Ghost before making a final image.

If your DVD fails the test, there are still some other ways to get disk
image to DVD, but it requires additional temporary storage (second hard
disk - internal or external, or a second PC and network between).

> One last question, 8.0/2003 does support DVD's as well as CD's, correct?
It
> looks like I can still find a copy of Ghost 2003 via the WWW, so as long
as
> it can write to DVD's, that's the way I'm going to go. Thanks for your
> assistance.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 25, 2004 2:50:41 PM

> The simplest approach to what you want to do is:
> 1. Boot PC in Windows, install Ghost.
> Create CD/DVD Startup floppy disk Ghost.exe.
> 2. Boot your PC with that floppy.
> Use Ghost to image your disk to DVD.

If Ghost won't burn using my DVD burner, can I image my primary drive to a
second physical disk on my box or another drive on my network?

> Now, verify your disk image stored on DVD.
> 3. Start PC in Windows.
> Use ghost explorer to extract files from image on DVD, that is the
simplest
> verification.
>
> You can uninstall Ghost before making a final image.

I hope I don't seem dense here, but why would I want to uninstall Ghost
before doing the final image?

> If your DVD fails the test, there are still some other ways to get disk
> image to DVD, but it requires additional temporary storage (second hard
> disk - internal or external, or a second PC and network between).

Scratch that first question. <g> Time to go to the outlaws and eat some
turkey.

Again, thanks for all your help.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 25, 2004 2:52:08 PM

> Doesn't Nero come with it's own bootable, HD backup making program?
> Thought I used that years ago and that seemed to work on a laptop.

I think it's more of a backup program rather than an disk imaging program
because it does it's think inside Windows... at leat I think it does.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 25, 2004 2:59:11 PM

> Boot DVDs/CDs can be made with Nero etc. If left open, the required
> programs and files can be burned as well. These will appear as a non-A
> drive stuff, IE the normal DVD access drive letter when booting from the
> DVD. Then close session.

That's the route I'm gonna take with Ghost.

> NET framework is only required for saving an image of open system files on
> boot partition. Restoration of a DVD image files(s), not needed. The DI
> 7.0/7.01, Ghost 9.0 DVDs are bootable and run in a modified XP
environment.

The .NET trash was required to update my video card drivers and is what
started this whole process of needing to format and re-install XP. SP2
completed the mess, requiring the re-install now instead of the first of the
year like I usually do. Doing this inside of XP doesn't matter as I don't
care if I boot to DOS or Linux to do the image, as long as I get a valid
image and can restore my current config.
November 25, 2004 4:38:31 PM

> If Ghost won't burn using my DVD burner, can I image my primary drive to a
> second physical disk on my box or another drive on my network?

Yes, network is my favourite, but it needs some time investment in setting
up client and server network settings. It is an art on its own....Dumping
disk image to a network folder is my best choice.
Then, burn it back to your DVD. This time you can use DVD-RW and it will be
in a normal ISO9660 mode, not proprietary Ghost packet-written.

> I hope I don't seem dense here, but why would I want to uninstall Ghost
> before doing the final image?

Just in case if you don't want to see it in your normal Windows environment.

> Scratch that first question. <g> Time to go to the outlaws and eat some
> turkey.

Lucky, no Thanksgiving here ;-(
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 25, 2004 7:15:19 PM

> And, they do not support DVD-RW.

That's a shame.

As support for DOS gets less and less, we do need a reliable imaging
solution going forward. Imaging across the network is fine - we keep a
couple of older network cards which we know work with our Ghost boot CD-ROM.

Rob.
November 25, 2004 7:15:20 PM

WinPE + Ghost32.exe might still have some future...

"> As support for DOS gets less and less, we do need a reliable imaging
> solution going forward. Imaging across the network is fine - we keep a
> couple of older network cards which we know work with our Ghost boot
CD-ROM.

> Rob.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 25, 2004 7:30:35 PM

Chuck U. Farley wrote:

>> Boot DVDs/CDs can be made with Nero etc. If left open, the required
>> programs and files can be burned as well. These will appear as a non-A
>> drive stuff, IE the normal DVD access drive letter when booting from the
>> DVD. Then close session.
>
> That's the route I'm gonna take with Ghost.
>
>> NET framework is only required for saving an image of open system files
>> on
>> boot partition. Restoration of a DVD image files(s), not needed. The DI
>> 7.0/7.01, Ghost 9.0 DVDs are bootable and run in a modified XP
> environment.
>
> The .NET trash was required to update my video card drivers and is what
> started this whole process of needing to format and re-install XP. SP2
> completed the mess, requiring the re-install now instead of the first of
> the
> year like I usually do. Doing this inside of XP doesn't matter as I don't
> care if I boot to DOS or Linux to do the image, as long as I get a valid
> image and can restore my current config.

What, exactly, do you believe that the .NET framework did to your system?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Native NTBACKUP in the ASR mode + http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message news:<o2opd.46774$z3.20814@bignews5.bellsouth.net>...
> > Doesn't Nero come with it's own bootable, HD backup making program?
> > Thought I used that years ago and that seemed to work on a laptop.
>
> I think it's more of a backup program rather than an disk imaging program
> because it does it's think inside Windows... at leat I think it does.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 26, 2004 1:31:15 PM

> up client and server network settings. It is an art on its own....Dumping
> disk image to a network folder is my best choice.

That's what we do and yes, it's a bit of a black art, esp. setting up the
network drivers. Some of the recent network cards have dropped DOS support
which is a pain.

Ghost has got P2P (peer to peer) functionality with a parallel lead or USB
lead to another PC running in slave mode. So as long as the slave PC either
has network access or a big FAT32 drive then this is a solution as well. Be
warned though - Ghost over parallel is slow at <10MB/min compared to
>100MB/min across the network and >200MB/min to another local drive. I've
never got Ghost USB P2P to work but that's because the Trust USB cable we
bought doesn't work with Ghost USB drivers.

Cheers, Rob.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 26, 2004 7:28:39 PM

Chuck U. Farley wrote:
>>I use True Image in conjunction with Nero. Works great. You can do
>>pretty much any of the items that you listed.
>

> So you can write direct to a DVD +R or -R? That's interesting. See here:

I've never tried writing directly to a DVD. I image to hard drive, and
then periodically offload to DVD using Nero. DVD is slow and requires
user interaction, so I have no need to image directly to it.

> Also, and I think this might be your post, as the names seem oddly similar:
>
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48186

Yeah, that's me.

To address your items individually:

> 1. Make a bootable DVD disk, _not_ a rewritable but a standard - or + DVD
> (not CD) disk.

Yup. See my tutorial, or I think perhaps Menorcaman has updated it
since I created it.

> 2. Put a recoverable_complete_ image of my hd (size is <4 gigs) _not_ parsed
> out in separate 1.9 gig sections but a complete, full image of my hard
> drive, on that boot disk.

A bootable DVD requires ISO9660, AFAIK. (At least with Nero)
IS09660 requires files of size 2GB or less.
If you consider both those points, I question the possibility of doing
what you want with any software. I'm not sure why that matters,
though, as TrueImage treats a multiple-file backup as a single entity.

> 3. Be able to insert that disk, re-boot my computer, have a menu come up
> giving me the option to format my hard drive.

Sure. The bootable rescue media will format/partition the drive to your
liking before the restore process.

> 4. Put the image on that newly formatted hard drive without a hundred dialog
> boxes.

A few clicks is all it takes.

> 5. Not require any other programs such as Nero, DirectCD, WinIso, IsoBuster
> etc. to function correctly.

ATI functions without 3rd party software. 3rd party software, however,
can enhance the functionality. (As with any program, really)

> 5. Not require the use of the .NET framework (that's what ruled out Norton's
> Ghost).

ATI doesn't require anything .NET

--
-WD
Anonymous

> > Scratch that first question. <g> Time to go to the outlaws and eat some
> > turkey.
>
> Lucky, no Thanksgiving here ;-(

Sorry to hear that. Hope you made the best of it. One year, I went back home
for a surprise visit and found my entire family had gone out of town. I
ended up eating alone in a hospital cafeteria because, in those days, it was
the only place open... besides White Castle. <g>

Anyway, I spent yesterday configuring Ghost 2003 on my box and I couldn't be
happier. Thanks again for your recommendation, Peter. Except for number 3 on
my OP, which I found out in here wasn't really necessary, it does exactly
what I want. In fact, the only thing it doesn't do is allow me to put all of
the programs required on the boot disk. I still have to feed it the second
diskette containing ghost.exe after the boot DVD disk, the reason of which
I'm not really sure as there's room on the DVD. It burned my boot disk/image
file on DVD+R with my relatively recent Liteon 811s without the need for any
additional s/w. I successfully restored from both DVD and secondary hd
without incident which, after my True Image experience, was an absolute
delight. Later on, I'll set it up for a network restore.

I didn't have to have any other company specific s/w installed and running
like DirectCD or InCD to burn, which was one of my primary goals as I hate
the way packet-writing s/w intertwines itself with the OS. With Ghost 8.0
installed, there's nothing running after I disable the Ghost Start Tray app
and I disabled the Ghost Start Service in services.msc after I did the
backup. All in all, a clean minimally invasive program that does what I want
it to. Now in six months when I do a re-format/re-install of XP, I won't
have to feed disks and answer dialog boxes.

And to answer the question about what .NET and/or XP did to my box, I'll
have to be brief so I don't bore you do death. The somewhat short version...
to update my ATI video driver required .NET. After doing a bit of research,
it seemed to be fairly benign so I did it. Without my realizing it, after
the install it kicked me into an Administrator account rather than my named
account with admin privileges. When I went to check messages on Usenet, all
of my previous posts, sent email, etc were obviously gone, as were the
documents in My Documents. After a more than momentary panic which about
lasted 10-15 minutes, I figured out what it had done and logged back into my
account. Not a good beginning experience. <g>

Then I found a couple of web pages that previously loaded fine would not
load in Firefox 1.0 including, not surprisingly, M$ owned hotmail.com. I
immediately thought of the old adage, "Windows isn't done until Lotus won't
run." but even this wasn't that big a deal as another box on my network
could access the account. Then my apps started acting hinkey. I'd get weird
error messages that I hadn't received before. I use an Adobe program called
Premier Pro quite extensively and it's always been rock solid stable. Now,
it was buggy as hell. Went to Adobe forum and while this hadn't happened to
anyone else, several there advised to go ahead an "upgrade" to SP2 as it
might "fix" the problem. I did my research and there were no obvious
conflicts with the apps I use so I, against my better judgment as I pride
myself in a stable system, created a Restore point and "upgraded" to SP2.
Keep in mind I never did the video driver upgrade because I was still trying
to troubleshoot the various bugs.

When the system came back up, the system got even more hinkey. _Every_ one
of my Adobe apps had to be re-authorized because my "system had changed". I
still couldn't log on to hotmail.com and even more puzzling, and I'm not
sure if this was from .NET or SP2, but now I could not post _anything_ over
16 lines of 72 characters on Usenet. Now that doesn't sound too bad because
I'm not a binary uploader and I snip the messages I reply to pretty
extensively, but get in a long thread or try to explain something (like this
situation) and you realize how limiting that amount is. I essentially
couldn't post to Usenet.

Damn, this is a long post.... anyway, I fought with it for a couple of more
hours and finally decided to do a System Restore to get me back where I
started. And of course, it _didn't_ restore my system... "Windows was unable
to restore your system, no changes have been made." GRRRRR. That's when I
decided to format and re-install everything. After feeding disks and
answering dialog boxes, I got my system back up _but_ all of the things I'd
done to customize my system/gui over the past six months were gone. It
doesn't sound like much, but I tweak my system pretty extensively and
something as basic as Autologon had to be remembered and re-done. And there
were _many_ others as well. This was _not_ a fun situation. <g> After I got
my system back the way I wanted, I knew I didn't want to do it again so I
decide to use an imaging program and that's how I ended up in here. BTW, I
_never_ did update the video driver. <vbseg>

Whew! I have posted anything this long in years. Anyway, thanks to all who
posted in this thread. The karma thing on Usenet is pretty real to me so
I'll hang out in here a while to try and pay back for the help I've
received.
November 30, 2004 2:13:26 PM

> Whew! I have posted anything this long in years. Anyway, thanks to all who
> posted in this thread. The karma thing on Usenet is pretty real to me so
> I'll hang out in here a while to try and pay back for the help I've
> received.

Your long post is my reward, you are very welcome!
!