access to remapped sectors

Is it possible to read sth from sectors that were remapped by disk
controller ??
I know threre is a SCSI command that allow user to know address of remapped
sectors, but what about reading them ???
And what about ATA ?? Is there any command returning a list of remapped
sectors ???

thank you in advance

John

Previously John Nathan <jhn_nathan@(remove_this)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to read sth from sectors that were remapped by disk
> controller ??
> I know threre is a SCSI command that allow user to know address of remapped
> sectors, but what about reading them ???
> And what about ATA ?? Is there any command returning a list of remapped
> sectors ???

No general method. Basically you need to find out vendor commands or
hack the firmware. Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of
effort, forget it.

On the other hand, it is likely that professional data recovery
companies can do this.

Why do you ask?

Arno

"John Nathan" <jhn_nathan@(REMOVE_THIS)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:coadi9$b89$1@news.onet.pl
> Is it possible to read from sectors that were remapped by disk controller ??
> I know threre is a SCSI command that allow user to know address of remapped
> sectors,

Yes, but that list is listing physical sectors and there is no way to address physical
sectors, only logical blocks (LBA).

The only way to read a remapped sector is to LLF in such a way that the previously
remapped sector is reinstated as a user addressable logical block. The drive will have
to support a LLF that doesn't initialize the sectors if you want the previous data
and you may have to disable error correction since that data is likely ECC flawed.

> but what about reading them ???
> And what about ATA ??

The problem is likely the same as with SCSI.