force high resolution on boot (no monitor)

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I've got a friend who's having trouble getting this to work. He has a
PC with the display "remoted" via a VGA extender (not a cable, an
electronic bridge). Apparently this looks to the PC like no monitor
is connected at all.

With a monitor connected directly, the computer boots up into the
desired high-res display. With no monitor, or with the VGA extender
connected, it boots up into 640x480. No matter what display settings
tweaking he does (I believe he's been at this for days), it will not
boot to high-res if it doesn't detect a monitor.

I thought it might be a DDC thing, but there was no such capability
listed in the BIOS (where I had hoped to disable it).

Anyone know how to FORCE Windows to go to a particular resolution?
Registry hack?

Chris Campbell wrote:

>I've got a friend who's having trouble getting this to work. He has a
>PC with the display "remoted" via a VGA extender (not a cable, an
>electronic bridge). Apparently this looks to the PC like no monitor
>is connected at all.
>
>With a monitor connected directly, the computer boots up into the
>desired high-res display. With no monitor, or with the VGA extender
>connected, it boots up into 640x480. No matter what display settings
>tweaking he does (I believe he's been at this for days), it will not
>boot to high-res if it doesn't detect a monitor.
>
>I thought it might be a DDC thing, but there was no such capability
>listed in the BIOS (where I had hoped to disable it).
>
>Anyone know how to FORCE Windows to go to a particular resolution?
>Registry hack?

The "extender" presents itself as VGA capable display so the OS treats
it as such and displays
VGA graphics indiferent to what are the capabilities of the monitor.
Either get SVGA "extender" or live with the capabilities of system hardware.
As always, the weakest link determines overall performance.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

[sorry about quoting everything]

Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
> The "extender" presents itself as VGA capable display so the OS treats
> it as such and displays
> VGA graphics indiferent to what are the capabilities of the monitor.
> Either get SVGA "extender" or live with the capabilities of system hardware.
> As always, the weakest link determines overall performance.

The extender is of course SVGA capable, sorry about using shorthand
and calling it "VGA". But the key piece of data is that WITH NOTHING
CONNECTED AT ALL to the computer, it boots up to the low resolution.
That eliminates the extender as the problem anyway.

I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the extender, as it only
confuses the issue.

Any ideas? Complete problem description is above. I can't be the
first person with this problem ...

TRENDING THREADS