DVD drive won't recognize DVDs

I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Home. I can
read cd data and cd audio, but when a dvd is put in the
drive, nothing happens. When clicked on from 'my
computer', the drive says there is no disk in drive. I
have downloaded new IDE drivers and new dvd decoding
patches. I have PowerDVD 3.0.
I am running a P4 2GHz,
<700 MB RAM,
45 GB Hard Drive,
a HP CD-RW Drive
and the infamous generic IDE DVD Drive.
I'm on an MSI SiS motherboard. Help Me Please!

same problem with my dvd-cannot play a movie----not responding:thinks there is no disk in the drive!

"Michael Quint" wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Home. I can
> read cd data and cd audio, but when a dvd is put in the
> drive, nothing happens. When clicked on from 'my
> computer', the drive says there is no disk in drive. I
> have downloaded new IDE drivers and new dvd decoding
> patches. I have PowerDVD 3.0.
> I am running a P4 2GHz,
> <700 MB RAM,
> 45 GB Hard Drive,
> a HP CD-RW Drive
> and the infamous generic IDE DVD Drive.
> I'm on an MSI SiS motherboard. Help Me Please!

I am having the exact same problem. Insert a DVD and your drive just sits there after spinning for a bit. Then you try to watch it manually with anything and you see that the drive still sits in "no disc in drive _:". I would love to find out why and get it fixed. I've tried patches and changing resolutions anything I can find to help with no avail.

"wolfia" wrote:

> same problem with my dvd-cannot play a movie----not responding:thinks there is no disk in the drive!
>

> "Michael Quint" wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Home. I can
> > read cd data and cd audio, but when a dvd is put in the
> > drive, nothing happens. When clicked on from 'my
> > computer', the drive says there is no disk in drive. I
> > have downloaded new IDE drivers and new dvd decoding
> > patches. I have PowerDVD 3.0.
> > I am running a P4 2GHz,
> > <700 MB RAM,
> > 45 GB Hard Drive,
> > a HP CD-RW Drive
> > and the infamous generic IDE DVD Drive.
> > I'm on an MSI SiS motherboard. Help Me Please!

I was able to get this fixed just by cleaning my tower. I found inches of
lint and dust inside it. I CAREFULLY moved things around and used a can of
compressed air. In fact, I used the whole thing dusting the inside of it. I
put everything back and re-inserted a DVD. I was able to view it without any
problems using any program I wanted.