DVD drive won't recognize DVDs

I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Home. I can
read cd data and cd audio, but when a dvd is put in the
drive, nothing happens. When clicked on from 'my
computer', the drive says there is no disk in drive. I
have downloaded new IDE drivers and new dvd decoding
patches. I have PowerDVD 3.0.
I am running a P4 2GHz,
<700 MB RAM,
45 GB Hard Drive,
a HP CD-RW Drive
and the infamous generic IDE DVD Drive.
I'm on an MSI SiS motherboard. Help Me Please!
3 answers Last reply
More about drive recognize dvds

    same problem with my dvd-cannot play a movie----not responding:thinks there is no disk in the drive!

    "Michael Quint" wrote:

    > I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Home. I can
    > read cd data and cd audio, but when a dvd is put in the
    > drive, nothing happens. When clicked on from 'my
    > computer', the drive says there is no disk in drive. I
    > have downloaded new IDE drivers and new dvd decoding
    > patches. I have PowerDVD 3.0.
    > I am running a P4 2GHz,
    > <700 MB RAM,
    > 45 GB Hard Drive,
    > a HP CD-RW Drive
    > and the infamous generic IDE DVD Drive.
    > I'm on an MSI SiS motherboard. Help Me Please!

    I am having the exact same problem. Insert a DVD and your drive just sits there after spinning for a bit. Then you try to watch it manually with anything and you see that the drive still sits in "no disc in drive _:". I would love to find out why and get it fixed. I've tried patches and changing resolutions anything I can find to help with no avail.

    "wolfia" wrote:

    > same problem with my dvd-cannot play a movie----not responding:thinks there is no disk in the drive!
    >

    > "Michael Quint" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Home. I can
    > > read cd data and cd audio, but when a dvd is put in the
    > > drive, nothing happens. When clicked on from 'my
    > > computer', the drive says there is no disk in drive. I
    > > have downloaded new IDE drivers and new dvd decoding
    > > patches. I have PowerDVD 3.0.
    > > I am running a P4 2GHz,
    > > <700 MB RAM,
    > > 45 GB Hard Drive,
    > > a HP CD-RW Drive
    > > and the infamous generic IDE DVD Drive.
    > > I'm on an MSI SiS motherboard. Help Me Please!

    I was able to get this fixed just by cleaning my tower. I found inches of
    lint and dust inside it. I CAREFULLY moved things around and used a can of
    compressed air. In fact, I used the whole thing dusting the inside of it. I
    put everything back and re-inserted a DVD. I was able to view it without any
    problems using any program I wanted.

Video CD-Rom Windows XP