USB external hard drive

Can someone suggest a USB removeable hard drive that will work with both
windows 98 as well as windows xp. In addition will work with both USB 1 and
2.

I am looking for such a drive to back up two computers as well as moving
data between each.

Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive

    You want a USB2 controller with Win 98 support.

    Wayne wrote:

    > Can someone suggest a USB removeable hard drive that will work with both
    > windows 98 as well as windows xp. In addition will work with both USB 1 and
    > 2.
    >
    > I am looking for such a drive to back up two computers as well as moving
    > data between each.
    >
    > Thank you

    As far as I know, ANY USB external hard drive sold today will do what
    you need.
    Doug

    I would assume 99.9% of the available external USB cases would work.
    The hard drive would have to be partitioned & formatted with FAT32 to work
    with Win98 (and Win XP).

    "Wayne" <Ole@sealake.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone suggest a USB removeable hard drive that will work with both
    > windows 98 as well as windows xp. In addition will work with both USB 1
    > and
    > 2.
    >
    > I am looking for such a drive to back up two computers as well as moving
    > data between each.
    >
    > Thank you

    In article <zM9rd.493458$D%.398528@attbi_s51>, no_spam_me@comcast.net
    says...
    > I would assume 99.9% of the available external USB cases would work.
    > The hard drive would have to be partitioned & formatted with FAT32 to work
    > with Win98 (and Win XP).
    >
    > "Wayne" <Ole@sealake.com> wrote in message
    > > Can someone suggest a USB removeable hard drive that will work with both
    > > windows 98 as well as windows xp. In addition will work with both USB 1
    > > and
    > > 2.
    > >
    > > I am looking for such a drive to back up two computers as well as moving
    > > data between each.
    > >
    > > Thank you

    most come formatted fat 32. I have both a Seagate and a Buslink
    external and they came formatted as fat 32.

    If you later want NTFS, you can reformat them.

    Louise

USB External Hard Drive Storage