Problems copying Win98 boot diskette using XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I am on XP/SP1.

I want to make a backup copy of a Windows 98 boot diskette.

Using XP, I can copy other diskettes but when I try to copy the Win98
boot diskette I get a message saying -

"Error: Unable to Copy Disks On This Drive".

Why is this? And how can I copy my W98 boot diskette?
9 answers Last reply
More about problems copying win98 boot diskette
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Maerko <nomail@mail.com> wrote:

    >Using XP, I can copy other diskettes but when I try to copy the Win98
    >boot diskette I get a message saying -

    > "Error: Unable to Copy Disks On This Drive".

    >Why is this? And how can I copy my W98 boot diskette?

    I'd guess that there's something wrong with your Win98 boot disk.
    Floppies don't last forever. You could go to www.bootdisk.com and get
    another one.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Maerko <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message news:95B1D126E2D604Af7S@204.153.244.156...
    > I am on XP/SP1.
    >
    > I want to make a backup copy of a Windows 98 boot diskette.
    >
    > Using XP, I can copy other diskettes but when I try to copy the Win98
    > boot diskette I get a message saying -
    >
    > "Error: Unable to Copy Disks On This Drive".
    >

    > Why is this?

    An old NT problem that was not fixed in XP, perhaps.

    > And how can I copy my W98 boot diskette?

    When it asks for the destination disk, insert the disk.

    Do NOT click OK.

    Start Explorer, and select the A: drive.
    Wait until Explorer has recognized the floppy and the light has gone off.

    Then return to the disk copy procedure and click OK.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On 30 Nov 2004, Tim Slattery wrote:

    > Maerko <nomail@mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Using XP, I can copy other diskettes but when I try to copy the
    >>Win98 boot diskette I get a message saying -
    >
    >> "Error: Unable to Copy Disks On This Drive".
    >
    >>Why is this? And how can I copy my W98 boot diskette?
    >
    > I'd guess that there's something wrong with your Win98 boot
    > disk. Floppies don't last forever. You could go to
    > www.bootdisk.com and get another one.

    Diskette seems fine. I can read its contents OK.

    Doesn't the message indicate that there is a problem with XP and the
    drive itself?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    If Win XP can copy other floppies, I would say the problem is that Win98
    disk.
    Try copying the bootdisk to a clean folder on the hard drive, then copy that
    to a freshly format floppy.

    > On 30 Nov 2004, Tim Slattery wrote:
    >
    >> Maerko <nomail@mail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Using XP, I can copy other diskettes but when I try to copy the
    >>>Win98 boot diskette I get a message saying -
    >>
    >>> "Error: Unable to Copy Disks On This Drive".
    >>
    >>>Why is this? And how can I copy my W98 boot diskette?
    >>
    >> I'd guess that there's something wrong with your Win98 boot
    >> disk. Floppies don't last forever. You could go to
    >> www.bootdisk.com and get another one.
    >

    > Diskette seems fine. I can read its contents OK.
    >
    > Doesn't the message indicate that there is a problem with XP and the
    > drive itself?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On 01 Dec 2004, Tod wrote:

    > If Win XP can copy other floppies, I would say the problem is
    > that Win98 disk.
    > Try copying the bootdisk to a clean folder on the hard drive,
    > then copy that to a freshly format floppy.

    And yet I can boot off that same W98 diskette.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > And yet I can boot off that same W98 diskette.

    Booting from and disccopying are two different operations.

    I can boot from majorily damaged disk, providing that boot operations do not
    try to access damaged areas on the disk Disccopy performs duplication of the
    whole floppy, not just a boot and system portions.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On 01 Dec 2004, Hugh Candlin wrote:

    > When it asks for the destination disk, insert the disk.
    > Do NOT click OK.
    > Start Explorer, and select the A: drive.
    > Wait until Explorer has recognized the floppy and the light has
    > gone off.
    > Then return to the disk copy procedure and click OK.

    The error message appears *before* the copy window asks for the
    destination diskette. The error appears as soon as I press Start.

    Out of interest, I put a floppy diskette in the drive then launched
    Win Explorer. I then keyed in "B:\" (without quotes) in the Win
    Explorer address bar. I got a message saying "B:\ refers to a
    location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this
    computer, or on a network. [etc]"

    Do other people get the same?

    Maybe XP is trying to copy from A: to B: anf it can't find B: on my
    system?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    At the CMD prompt try

    Diskcopy a: a:

    Maerko wrote:

    >>>Using XP, I can copy other diskettes but when I try to copy the
    >>>Win98 boot diskette I get a message saying -
    >>> "Error: Unable to Copy Disks On This Drive".
    >>>How can I copy this W98 boot diskette?
    >>>

    > On 01 Dec 2004, Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >
    >>When it asks for the destination disk, insert the disk.
    >>Do NOT click OK.
    >>Start Explorer, and select the A: drive.
    >>Wait until Explorer has recognized the floppy and the light has
    >>gone off.
    >>Then return to the disk copy procedure and click OK.
    >>

    > The error message appears *before* the copy window asks for the
    > destination diskette. The error appears as soon as I press Start.
    >
    > Out of interest, I put a floppy diskette in the drive then launched
    > Win Explorer. I then keyed in "B:\" (without quotes) in the Win
    > Explorer address bar. I got a message saying "B:\ refers to a
    > location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this
    > computer, or on a network. [etc]"
    >
    > Do other people get the same?
    >
    > Maybe XP is trying to copy from A: to B: anf it can't find B: on my
    > system?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On 01 Dec 2004, Bob I wrote:

    > At the CMD prompt try
    >
    > Diskcopy a: a:

    YES! Works nice. So why doesn't copying a disk work in my XP?

    >> On 01 Dec 2004, Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >>
    >>>When it asks for the destination disk, insert the disk.
    >>>Do NOT click OK.
    >>>Start Explorer, and select the A: drive.
    >>>Wait until Explorer has recognized the floppy and the light has
    >>>gone off.
    >>>Then return to the disk copy procedure and click OK.
    >>>

    >> The error message appears *before* the copy window asks for the
    >> destination diskette. The error appears as soon as I press
    >> Start.
    >>
    >> Out of interest, I put a floppy diskette in the drive then
    >> launched Win Explorer. I then keyed in "B:\" (without quotes)
    >> in the Win Explorer address bar. I got a message saying "B:\
    >> refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard
    >> drive on this computer, or on a network. [etc]"
    >>
    >> Do other people get the same?
    >>
    >> Maybe XP is trying to copy from A: to B: anf it can't find B:
    >> on my system?

Boot Microsoft Windows XP Storage