What does IDE controller card do?

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 1, 2004 7:34:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of a
larger size than your system would normally allow?

Thanks for all input

More about : ide controller card

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 7:34:48 AM

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of
> larger size than your system would normally allow?

It can be used for that. It can also allow you to add more hard drives. I
have 6 hard drives in my system

> Thanks for all input

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 7:34:48 AM

"Doc" wrote:
> What's the purpose of an IDE controller?
> Does it allow you to use a h/d of a larger
> size than your system would normally allow?

Yes, if you have an early BIOS or operating system.
It also lets you use a faster ATA interface speed that
an early motherboard's IDE controller couldn't handle,
and it lets you run more hard drives in your PC.

*TimDaniels*
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 10:59:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

With out an IDE controller, you computer would not be able to access any
hard drive

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of
> larger size than your system would normally allow?
>
> Thanks for all input

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 11:47:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

Are you talking about the built in controller or an add on controller or
both ?

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of
> larger size than your system would normally allow?
>
> Thanks for all input

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 11:47:30 AM

"Tod" wrote: wrote:
> Are you talking about the built in controller or an add on controller or
> both ?

Read the subject line of his posting.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 3:56:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the purpose of an IDE controller?

It identifies a HD, whether actual or otherwise, for the operating systems
partitioning or other partitioning software. This identifies the capacity
as well. It may pass on identifying information of the hard drive's
firmware to the operating system.

> Does it allow you to use a h/d of a
> larger size than your system would normally allow?

If newer than your onboard controller, probably.

> Thanks for all input

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 3:56:58 PM

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> "Doc" wrote:
>> What's the purpose of an IDE controller?
>
> It identifies a HD, whether actual or otherwise, for the
> operating systems partitioning or other partitioning
> software. This identifies the capacity as well. It may
> pass on identifying information of the hard drive's
> firmware to the operating system.

Ummm...., and oh! - it controls the transfer of data
between the hard drive and the operating system
(which is its primary function).

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2004 11:08:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<HRbrd.5198$6K5.4666@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

> Does it allow you to use a h/d of a larger size than your
> system would normally allow?

It also adds its own Windows driver to support drives bigger than
137GB even with Windows 98 and ME.

www.pricewatch.com has IDE controllers for as little as $13, delivered
(may have to use coupon code listed there), but some of the dealers
are real sleazoids, so always check www.resellerratings.com before
ordering (be skeptical of high ratings when there are just a few
ordered my Silicon Image IDE card from www.acortech.com (good ratings)
and got it in just three days by mail.
!