What does IDE controller card do?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of a
larger size than your system would normally allow?

Thanks for all input
8 answers Last reply
More about what controller card
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of
    > larger size than your system would normally allow?

    It can be used for that. It can also allow you to add more hard drives. I
    have 6 hard drives in my system

    > Thanks for all input

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "Doc" wrote:
    > What's the purpose of an IDE controller?
    > Does it allow you to use a h/d of a larger
    > size than your system would normally allow?

    Yes, if you have an early BIOS or operating system.
    It also lets you use a faster ATA interface speed that
    an early motherboard's IDE controller couldn't handle,
    and it lets you run more hard drives in your PC.

    *TimDaniels*
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    With out an IDE controller, you computer would not be able to access any
    hard drive

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of
    > larger size than your system would normally allow?
    >
    > Thanks for all input

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    Are you talking about the built in controller or an add on controller or
    both ?

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What's the purpose of an IDE controller? Does it allow you to use a h/d of
    > larger size than your system would normally allow?
    >
    > Thanks for all input

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "Tod" wrote: wrote:
    > Are you talking about the built in controller or an add on controller or
    > both ?

    Read the subject line of his posting.

    *TimDaniels*
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What's the purpose of an IDE controller?

    It identifies a HD, whether actual or otherwise, for the operating systems
    partitioning or other partitioning software. This identifies the capacity
    as well. It may pass on identifying information of the hard drive's
    firmware to the operating system.

    > Does it allow you to use a h/d of a
    > larger size than your system would normally allow?

    If newer than your onboard controller, probably.

    > Thanks for all input

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > "Doc" wrote:
    >> What's the purpose of an IDE controller?
    >
    > It identifies a HD, whether actual or otherwise, for the
    > operating systems partitioning or other partitioning
    > software. This identifies the capacity as well. It may
    > pass on identifying information of the hard drive's
    > firmware to the operating system.

    Ummm...., and oh! - it controls the transfer of data
    between the hard drive and the operating system
    (which is its primary function).

    *TimDaniels*
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<HRbrd.5198$6K5.4666@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

    > Does it allow you to use a h/d of a larger size than your
    > system would normally allow?

    It also adds its own Windows driver to support drives bigger than
    137GB even with Windows 98 and ME.

    www.pricewatch.com has IDE controllers for as little as $13, delivered
    (may have to use coupon code listed there), but some of the dealers
    are real sleazoids, so always check www.resellerratings.com before
    ordering (be skeptical of high ratings when there are just a few
    ordered my Silicon Image IDE card from www.acortech.com (good ratings)
    and got it in just three days by mail.

Hardware Controller Storage IBM Systems